shah269

Manta 290 how many cells?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=99785;d=1

I'm reading it's a good student beginner fat boy with a rod in his shin canopy with ZP top skin and f111 bottom.
Just wondering what is it? 7 or 9 cells?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Mantas are pure F-111. Theyre a 9 cell canopy that open fast and have a mediocre flare. I would recommend a sabre2 over the manta.

Edit: I stand corrected, I wasnt aware there was a ZP version. Im talking about the F-111 version. I have no experience with the ZP model.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=99785;d=1

I'm reading it's a good student beginner fat boy with a rod in his shin canopy with ZP top skin and f111 bottom.
Just wondering what is it? 7 or 9 cells?

Clickie fixed.

New in 99 means the Cypres is probably junk next year. Not just new batteries.

Reflex containers are a bit unusual. Make sure your rigger knows how to pack it. I think there's a couple service bulletins out on them.

I don't see a price, but I don't think it would be worth a whole lot (which could be a good thing, depending on your point of view).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If your instructors say that's a suitable rig for you, definitely inquire about the cypres' DOM: it may well be end of life and if it's not it will need its 8yr check + batteries for sure, kinda expensive if it's almost end of life.

End of life for a cypres 1 is 12yrs + 3months from DOM.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I offered him $2k.
He is having his rigger check it out.
I'm waiting for my instructor look at the add.
I'm jumping a 280 ZP Navigator
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

$2k? No way it's worth that :S

Really?
Sounded about right to me?
New in 99 it was what $5k?
20 jumps?
That's about what all my friends paid for their equipment not including the AAD.

$2k? No way it's worth that :S

Really?
Sounded about right to me?
New in 99 it was what $5k?
20 jumps?
That's about what all my friends paid for their equipment not including the AAD.

What it cost new doesn't matter. Look thru the classifieds at other Reflexes.
Plus a Raven III isn't worth a whole lot. (again, look through the classifieds).

What your friends payed doesn't really matter that much, unless they bought similar gear. Keep in mind that this is old stuff, not much use, but old nonetheless.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Mantas were 280 -9cells, I put 2000 on one with no new line sets It worked fine and PD wanted to see it Quincy and Rantual. Mine came de -tuned , jump it once and see how far your toggles come down before the steering lines take out the slack. !0 or 12 inches is easy you can move your toggles that much and have no problems. Mine be came any time any altitude canopy.I bought it when the economy was shit as now it got me through it I now love my last three Sabres.

I figured it was worth $1800 and then the bev suit and the protrack and shipping?
$2k?

My issue right now is trying to figure out if it is 100% ZP or not. I'm hoping it is and what's with Reflex containers?

As for what I'm looking for, I'm on jump #27 so....a lot of belly, a lot of track, a bit of head down a bit of foot down nothing amazing yet. Just want soft landings.

As for what I'm looking for, I'm on jump #27 so....a lot of belly, a lot of track, a bit of head down a bit of foot down nothing amazing yet. Just want soft landings.

I'd get a rigger to check that out before you take it HD/sitflying. ;)

When you're ready to downsize, I got a XL Cloud I'll sell ya real cheap!:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well the head downs have been tracks that have gone a little too....nutty. So not real head down stuff. Just oooh wait that's too steep!

Right now I'm jumping a 280 navigator that is ZP and I love it for the soft landings it provides me even on zero wind days.

So that's what I'm looking for but can't seem to find.

As far as it being ZP/hybrid/F111 - I got an idea - ASK THE SELLER !

As far as Reflex container - my personal opinion is that they are nice and good for everything out there. Structure Fire was a pretty hot SoCal Freefly team that was all Reflex (IIRC), that should say something.

The seller is like me, he doesn't remember :)He's having his rigger give the thing the once over and the old over under.

Remember boys I'm running on a metal shin, soft landings are what I need. And I kind of like a slow ride.
Do you know how cool you guys look swooping from the air? I just find a nice safe place just off the landing pattern and hold there and watch you guys swoop.
I'm amazed but, it's not my thing.

1. I wonder how many Mantas with ZP are out there from back then. Probably not many. The ad doesn't even say when anything was built, just when the owner bought it. (New, used??) But maybe it does have the ZP. Anyone packing it should know the difference.

2. ZP or not, I'd imagine a newer canopy design, like a Navigator, would be nicer to land. (And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't mind jumping F-111.)

3. If the Raven III -M was built in approx. 1996 to April 1999, it should have the bartack bulletin done. Even with added stitching, some regard the canopies built outside that date range to be better, due to the type I attachment tapes. "Ask your rigger."
The seller should be telling you about exactly when the Raven -M was built.

He says he bought it new and he's having his rigger check it out.

Sadly, thanks to the ID dorks at my office I can't view the classifieds.
So if any of you find a more modern bit of equpment or happen to own one in or around the 260-280 mark pelase let me know and I'll take it off of your hands for the same price.
Shah

I'd get a rigger to check that out before you take it HD/sitflying.

Reflex's were jumped by several top freefly teams. It was one of the first containers with ANY "freefly safe" features.

But I'm sure you knew that, you're just being "funny"...

Half of you love this thing and half of you hate it?

And this surprises you why??:)

I don't hate it. I simply don't know it (the Reflex container that is)

I do recall some issues with older ones that resulted in a service bulletin being issued.

I don't know if it would affect this rig.

Having a rigger check it out to include finding out if there are any SBs that need to be addressed should be part of any pre-purchase inspection.

I think that, given your history and experience, this would be a nice rig for you. Even if it's F-111, it's got few enough jumps that it will still fly nice. Mantas are what we use as student canopies at my DZ.

I have a bunch of jumps on them.

Nothing special or spectacular, nice and docile. You will not be able to pull the front risers down with the brakes stowed (I could do one-handed pullups at the time, and I would completely unweight the harness without moving the nose at all)

But this is DZ.com, and my advice is worth what you paid for it, maybe a little less.:P

I own a reflex. Definitely a freefly friendly rig... if it all stays closed. The riser cover tuck tabs are tiny. Mine usually stay closed very well... but it depends a lot on the reserve repack and how the rigger distributes the bulk and how well the reserve fits in the container. I've had no trouble with the main flap opening... mine's very tight. I had friends with bigger reflexes that wouldn't stay closed though... usually riser covers.

Reflexes became very popular in some areas in the late 90s when they had a 40% off sale. I bought mine used a couple weeks before Fliteline went out of business... and it just happened to be with them getting the harness resized. That sucked.

If the price was right, it's a fine rig. But the price has to be right... the resale value will be extremely low.

Dave

Mantas are pure F-111.

Nope. They can be F111 or full ZP.
We have three ZP Mantas in the neighborhood... including my old one that someone bought around 2001.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Well I just spoke with my DZ's rigger.
A person I highly respect and well he told me he would not recommend it.......So maybe the deal is off? I don't know.
If it were ZP it would be great BUT my rigger was not happy at all that it was a Reflex container.
And like I said, I have 100% trust in the guy and if he says he doesn't like it then I guess that's what I have to say as well.
But god I wish some of you skinny SOB's would pack on a few pounds! I can't find anything online in the 260-280 zp range!

BUT my rigger was not happy at all that it was a Reflex container.

Funny, to me the Reflex is the best looking part of the deal. Sure they have a couple little things to watch for, and are getting older, but are still well respected around my area at least. Everyone has their own opinion.