jrcolo

Humans vs Dogs..

Why is it a dog can walk through a hanger full people packing parachutes and not touch a SINGLE line or rig for that matter, But a human can trip over peoples lines and gear left and right?

i find staff dogs are very careful but fun jumper or tandem dogs, understandably, dont have a clue

You can't go a weekend day at Lodi without multiple tandems walking on or just straight up standing on your lines. It's so frustrating there!

a loud

'can you please NOT stand on the LIFESAVING equipment' aimed at the person who is obliviously standing on the drogue or pilot chute usually sorts out the problem for a day at least

My last cat would go to great lengths to avoid touching the parachute or lines when I was packing reserves at home. He even got locked in my gear room for three days when I was away on holiday and a friend was feeding him. He used the only piece of plastic in the room that was not parachute related to go to the toilet on...

RIP Cookie Monster

my new cat.... I have to lock him in the other room when I am working cos its all fun and games to him... [:/]

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I'm new to the sport, and it completely blows my mind that people actually step ON YOUR pilot chute or the lines. As a personal choice, I don't go anywhere near the packing area because I feel that I would be interfering or being a nuisance.

If I stepped on somebody's lines or pilot chute I would expect them to chew me out for it.
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

I'm new to the sport, and it completely blows my mind that people actually step ON YOUR pilot chute or the lines. As a personal choice, I don't go anywhere near the packing area because I feel that I would be interfering or being a nuisance.

If I stepped on somebody's lines or pilot chute I would expect them to chew me out for it.

Eh, it's not worth getting mad about. Had just laid down my packjob few weeks ago and someone tripped and pulled my steering lines out forcing me to start over. But all things considered, it's not that big a deal. I have, and will make similar mistakes, so I don't want to chew anyone out. B|
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

With 18 jumps, I'd hope you spend many hours in the packing area, watching adn learning!

With 18 jumps, I'd hope you spend many hours in the packing area, watching adn learning!

It's not that I completely AVOID the packing area, I just believe that many individuals have different perspectives. Some guys might want to focus on their pack job and not be bothered by new guys or anyone at all while others might be totally friendly and be more than happy to show you a few pointers.

I guess it's safe to say that I like to watch from a distance to get an "idea" of what's going on and just wait for my actual packing class to become fully knowledgeable of what's at stake. The thought of packing my first parachute is nerve racking for me!
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

It's not that I completely AVOID the packing area, I just believe that many individuals have different perspectives. Some guys might want to focus on their pack job and not be bothered by new guys or anyone at all while others might be totally friendly and be more than happy to show you a few pointers.

I guess it's safe to say that I like to watch from a distance to get an "idea" of what's going on and just wait for my actual packing class to become fully knowledgeable of what's at stake. The thought of packing my first parachute is nerve racking for me!

Watching others pack often was what helped me most. Ask ten people how to pack, and you'll likely get thirteen answers. I've found that combinations of methods often work best for me. Ask, and ask often.

Just let someone else jump your presecond pack job if you're worried. My motto is, what goes in must come out so in the end it'll work out.

Don't wait to get some packing experience. I don't know your DZ, but surely you can ask someone to help you out. A 'no' isn't the end of the world.

I packed from the beginning, but I guess it's up to the jumper and the DZ vibe. It made me feel more comfortable in a way, gave me time (a lot of time) to process the jump and what not. It also made me trust the equipment more, I think.

Dogs are awesome, way better than cats (and most people). I've had both. The cat was insane. He went from being a nice kitty to a berserk in a millisecond. Holding on to an arm or a leg with his front paws, clawing/running with his hind legs and biting down hard with his jaw. He did this all the time.

How is it that you have an "A" license and don't know how to pack?

Looks like that's his USPA # actually.

Looks like that's his USPA # actually.

You are surely right. Looking at Nov Parachutist, the last A number when they printed was 58606.

But his profile says he has a license.

Of course, it also says he has 18 jumps.

So, Ryye, what's the story?

The thought of packing my first parachute is nerve racking for me!

It's not packing for the first time that's so bad ... it's JUMPING your own pack job for the first time that can really tight up those sphincter muscles ... ;)
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

It's not packing for the first time that's so bad ... it's JUMPING your own pack job for the first time that can really tight up those sphincter muscles ... ;)

Haha, that's what I originally meant. I was told that in your packing class that your final pack is the one your jump. Of course this is all rumors and I won't know until it happens.

Haha, that's what I originally meant. I was told that in your packing class that your final pack is the one your jump. Of course this is all rumors and I won't know until it happens.

Well for the A-card you will need to jump your packjob.

Well for the A-card you will need to jump your packjob.

Yeah, I read that on the A-license card check-off list. Is that packing class long? Do they really watch your every move?