jrcolo

Humans vs Dogs..

I guess it really varies from dropzone to dropzone. I had to take a packing class before I could start the static line first jump course, and have packed (under a rigger's supervision) every single parachute I've jumped except one.

As it should be. Reinforces right from the get-go that you're responsible for every aspect of saving your own life.

Well for the A-card you will need to jump your packjob.

Yeah, I read that on the A-license card check-off list. Is that packing class long? Do they really watch your every move?

Like most of the A-card, the actual method of instruction will vary with instructors. Ask a rigger/packer to show you.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

There is a requirement to pack a parachute for your A license but there is not a requirement in the SIM or the proficiency card to jump it.

I stand corrected. Looked again. I think it's a prudent requirement nonetheless.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

There is a requirement to pack a parachute for your A license but there is not a requirement in the SIM or the proficiency card to jump it.

Interesting question!

I've always held to the idea that the pack job must be jumped, but, as you say, that requirement is not clear.

So I wrote to Jim Crouch, USPA Director of Safety & Training.

Here's his reply.

On 11/9/2010 9:17 AM, Jim Crouch wrote:

Hi Paul,

I believe the intent has always been to jump the pack job, not just to pack the parachute. However, you are correct that the language does not specify directly that the pack job must be jumped. Every drop zone I have been involved with has required the jumper to make a jump with the parachute that was packed for the A license requirement. I will need to put this on the agenda for the February S&T Committee meeting, to see if the Board agrees that the intent was always to jump the pack job, and if so, we can clarify that intent in the SIM and A license cards.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Crouch | Director of Safety & Training

cid:[email protected]

5401 Southpoint Centre Blvd. | Fredericksburg, VA 22407
P: 540.604.9740 ext. 314 | F: 540.604.9741
Thirsty? Check out the new glass mugs in the USPA Shop!

Sorry that his pretty sig with graphics didn't show up the way it did in the actual email.

We'll have to wait a bit to see that the S&T Committee says.

Jumping that first packjob was such a mental beast! I opened at 6000ft because I was so nervous! :D

Lol! I could totally see myself doing this...It will be nerve racking but I know that i'll be fully knowledgeable when the time comes.
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Jumping that first packjob was such a mental beast! I opened at 6000ft because I was so nervous! :D

Lol! I could totally see myself doing this...It will be nerve racking but I know that i'll be fully knowledgeable when the time comes.

forget that man go big or go home ,make it your 3,00 hop and pop

forget that man go big or go home ,make it your 3,00 hop and pop

Easy to say sitting in comfort typing on your computer with a few more skydives under your belt, huh?

Ryye...it will most likely open without incident. After several good openings, excessive worrying will subside and it becomes fun dialing in opening characteristics.

Oh ya, and also adding on to what somebody else said about the tandems at Lodi...its like the lines are invisible to them:S But, when you have over 200 tandem students walking in and out of that hangar DAILY during the summer, you tend to notice it more. The dogs however, are as princess-footed as ever, I don't ever see them walking on the lines...and they have FOUR legs to control to our two!
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Ryye...it will most likely open without incident.

Friend of mine used to be very nervous while she was learning to pack. She had a little mantra that you'd hear her muttering while she was packing:
"They're designed to open. They're designed to open." :D

Ryye...it will most likely open without incident. After several good openings, excessive worrying will subside and it becomes fun dialing in opening characteristics.

Yeah, i'm 100% with you on this one. Once I get my hands on the actual equipment i'm sure i'll be a lot more comfortable after a few jumps.
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Yeah, i'm 100% with you on this one. Once I get my hands on the actual equipment i'm sure i'll be a lot more comfortable after a few jumps.

packing and jumping your pack job will be nerve wreaking, but its not bad, i started learning to pack around jump 4 i think, and jumped my own at 9? maybe. either way everything went fine, the parachute truly wants to open, like it was designed.

if you want to really calm your nerves, wait till just before the last load of the day, go to the packing room and watch the people scramble and trash pack as fast as humanly possible, and then go outside to the landing area and watch to see how many reserve rides you see. ive seen some of the most HORRID packjobs jumped and deployed with no incident while hanging around the DZ
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

If you want to really calm your nerves, wait till just before the last load of the day, go to the packing room and watch the people scramble and trash pack as fast as humanly possible

"Trash pack" haha, that's a new one I haven't heard yet. I've honestly witnessed this though, the last time I went jumping. I was able to get on the sunset load (which was the best jump i've ever had considering we jumped from 14,500) and I saw quite a few individuals packing their rigs as fast as possible.

I've also heard the term psycho pack. Is this a different 'style' of packing? I can't wait to get my own rig!

I've also heard the term psycho pack. Is this a different 'style' of packing? I can't wait to get my own rig!

Psycho packing is a different style of packing where part of the packjob is rolled instead of folded (pro pack).
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Psycho packing is a different style of packing where part of the packjob is rolled instead of folded (pro pack).

Oh, okay. Learn something new everyday. It's all about learning in this sport.

When I was filming CReW I'd simply flake the lines, grab the tail and tuck it into the center....not something I'd recommned for terminal, but for hop in pops,. worked great, and I was packed in 3 minutes!

Sounds a bit like the old "Trash Pack".

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

When I was filming CReW I'd simply flake the lines, grab the tail and tuck it into the center....not something I'd recommned for terminal, but for hop in pops,. worked great, and I was packed in 3 minutes!

trash packing at its finest! :D
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

If you only knew. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If you only knew. ;)

Sparky

well im glad it was you jumping it and not me! :ph34r:

If you want to really calm your nerves, wait till just before the last load of the day, go to the packing room and watch the people scramble and trash pack as fast as humanly possible

"Trash pack" haha, that's a new one I haven't heard yet. I've honestly witnessed this though, the last time I went jumping. I was able to get on the sunset load (which was the best jump i've ever had considering we jumped from 14,500) and I saw quite a few individuals packing their rigs as fast as possible.

"Trash paking" started in Florida kirka 1980. Just set the brakes, push the slider up, give the kanopy fabrik a quik shake, figure-eight the lines into the main pak tray, fold the fabrik in and pin it!
Remember that bak in those days, only sissies used deployment bags!

"PRO paking" is a neater version of trash paking.

PSYKHO Paking" is a further refinement.