Airviking

Cold-weather jumping

I'm not really planning on doing this a lot, but I might want to make a few jumps on the rig I'm buying before I send payment. These can be just 12 second delays, open at 6,000. I'm thinking I'll dress like I'm going skiing. Oh...except for the rig, altimeter, helmet etc.:D

Is that the right approach? I live in the northeast.
I believe you have my stapler.

I wouldn't consider myself "current". Took recurrency class a few months ago, after 22 years on the ground.

Are you thinking that unfamiliar gear, marginal currency + cold weather might be pushing it a little? (I think I'm answering my own question..[:/])

I haven't been skydiving a lot, but 1/3 of the jumps I've made (okay, 4!) have been in cold weather, and I got a few good tips from fellow experienced jumpers.
First, I wouldn't recommend getting all suited up like you're going skiing. UnderArmour is amazing, but on top of that, layers. You should be fine with a light jacket underneath a jump suit. Basically you want something to break the wind, I used windbreaker pants that day and I was relatively fine.

As for your hands, MAKE SURE you have gloves!! You want to be able to actually feel your pilot chute, so numb hands are no bueno. Anything to cut the wind is good, but I jumped once with a friend's extra pair that had the pointer finger tip missing for extra dexterity, and I felt like I was going to lose that one part of the finger, the rest of the hands were fine. My suggestion if you don't have a pair of gloves, go to Home Depot and pick up a pair of "subcontractor" gloves. $15, but they're just as good as any sporting gloves and they're indestructible. Also, if you're jumping in REALLY cold temperatures, get a box of blue nitrile gloves (box of 50 for $5), and put a pair on underneath your jump gloves to cut more wind. Just put them on right before you jump out, if you wear them the whole ride up, you'll be sweating in them and that defeats the purpose.

One last thing to note is what type of plane you're riding up. I jumped out of a Twin Otter and King Air and the ride up took 10 minutes to 12.5K, so it wasn't bad at all, but when I went up in the Cesna, the ride took forever and I was FREEZING!!

Thanks, that sounds better than ski clothing. I have an old jumpsuit that I can fit polartech pants and sweater underneath. I want to go with really thin gloves because the rig is unfamiliar. I'll only delay enough to reach terminal, so my fingers shouldn't have time to numb up. And no, I won't go at all if it really cold.

I wouldn't consider myself "current". Took recurrency class a few months ago, after 22 years on the ground.

Are you thinking that unfamiliar gear, marginal currency + cold weather might be pushing it a little? (I think I'm answering my own question..[:/])

;) Yeah that was my thought.

I would get with some instructors at your DZ...I mean you ARE adding a couple of links to the 'chain of disaster'.

I'm sure it's doable but I'd highly advise you to get some 'hands on' direction regarding what would work for YOU!

Good luck with the new gear! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Treat the first one like another recurrency jump; talk to an instructor, practice EPs on the ground, actively talk yourself through some emergency scenarios. Two thin layers of glove is better than one thick layer; you can also put rubber gloves on underneath and that will keep the wind off your fingers.

Some thinnish fleece under a windbreaker will go a long way towards keeping your upper body warm enough, and good thermal bottoms under running pants will help on the bottom. The idea is to have something to break the wind (no, not that kind of wind :D).

Of course, I jump in Texas:P, but have been jumping in the snow that way.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I want to go with really thin gloves because the rig is unfamiliar.

I have done quite a few winter jumps, about 200. One of the tricks I have used with gloves is to put on a pair of latex one under your skydiving gloves. It will keep you pretty warm and not a lot of problems with gear. For sort periods of time this works great. For long periods of time in cold conditions it is better to have real gloves but for a skydive it should be fine.

Treat the first one like another recurrency jump; talk to an instructor, practice EPs on the ground, actively talk yourself through some emergency scenarios. Two thin layers of glove is better than one thick layer; you can also put rubber gloves on underneath and that will keep the wind off your fingers.

Some thinnish fleece under a windbreaker will go a long way towards keeping your upper body warm enough, and good thermal bottoms under running pants will help on the bottom. The idea is to have something to break the wind (no, not that kind of wind :D).

Of course, I jump in Texas:P, but have been jumping in the snow that way.

Wendy P.

Breaking wind...that's something I don't need advice on.:o

The rig will be mine, so I'll be practicing EPs at home, practicing deployment etc, wearing the rig around the house. I used to do this "back in the day" until it all became so ingrained that I didn't think about it at all in the plane.

Lots of good advice here, to echo some and add a little:

Mechanic's gloves (similar to the subcontractor gloves). Thin for dexterity and grippy, which you really really want. Put a latex/nitrile glove (doctor glove) underneath and you will be good.

Multiple thin layers, not one big one.

I go t-shirt, thermal shirt, long sleeve T, flannel shirt, sweatshirt. Thermal longies under jeans, and wool socks. I have a jumpsuit that will go over that. I have jumped with the ground temps right around freezing dressed like that and been fine.

One thing to remember: You really won't feel the cold.

I've gone out the door with the temp at -20F (twenty below zero) at altitude. The wind blowing in the door is really cold, but once out the door, I don't notice it until opening.
It's a little chilly under canopy, but you really aren't exposed to the cold long enough for it to get too bad.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

All the above is good stuff. My observation is that the coldest part of a winter jump for me is floating outside the aircraft. Being a sorta big guy, I get to do that a lot... [:/]

I never notice the cold in freefall. Sometimes the canopy ride can be a bit chilly.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Ski gloves bad! About the only thing I can do with ski gloves when I'm wearing them is wipe my nose! No way do I want to try to find my hackey.

Do a search for "winter gloves" or "cold weather gloves" and you'll find lots of good recommendations.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'd say make sure that you have good gloves, shoes, buff and wind stopper of some sorts.

Last winter I did couple of jumps when it was 14F on the ground. I wore my regular jumpsuit over windstopper jacket and underwear intended for ice diving. Make sure that you can easily grab the handles with gloves on. Freefall isn't all that bad but my biggest problem was freezing my fingers under the canopy.

Make sure you have good shoes if there is snow. I, for example, didn't think it would be much of a problem to land on a field half a mile from the main landing area. Turns out that there were almost 2' of snow on the field and it took like forever to get back from there B|

Make sure you have good shoes if there is snow. I, for example, didn't think it would be much of a problem to land on a field half a mile from the main landing area. Turns out that there were almost 2' of snow on the field and it took like forever to get back from there B|

Land closer :ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One thing to remember: You really won't feel the cold.

youll notice it when they open the door, and when you climb out, but the second you let go of the plane, you wont notice it any more, youll be having too much fun in FF.

i just wore one pair of baseball gloves. although tackified leather football gloves work well too.

once youre under canopy tho, you will notice your hands are FREEEEZING. but the actual pull an thow of your pilot will be fine. i did AFF in florida when it was 32 on teh ground, yeah its not THAT cold but us floridians arent exactly used to anything below about 60 :ph34r:

youll be fine :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Multiple thin layers, not one big one.

Yeah. As a couple layers I like having a flexible and not bulky windbreaker type jacket (that'll fit under a jumpsuit easily), and a fleece layer with a full zipper. One may need to adjust layers a lot, between a warm lounge to being fairly warm when packing in a cool hangar, to standing outside in a cold wind.

How much one wears on the plane depends also on how warm one stays on the ground. If one is toasty warm on the ground then one might survive a cold plane & jump no problem. If one is already toughing it out with cold extremities on the ground, then the plane ride and jump can become much worse.

You can get relatively thin wind proof gloves at most sporting good stores. They're all you'll need to keep your hands warm, without the bulkiness of ski gloves. I got mine at an army surplus store for about $30. I've worn them on plenty of winter jumps here in CO.

I've also done plenty of jumps with latex gloves under thin gloves and that works pretty well too.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I think that means that instead of pulling high, you should suck it low.:P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think that means that instead of pulling high, you should suck it low.:P

Wendy P.

Hahahahahaha. Agreed. Make sure you use a highly loaded ellipticalmas well so when you do spiral down you do it extra super fassssst :ph34r:
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

You can do practice grips on your hacky with gloves on but beware under canopy, getting your gloved hands into some steering toggles might prove more difficult that you might expect, a slack grip is dangerous close to the ground. Also if jumping with a Z1 or any full faced helmet be sure you can open the visor with gloved hands. fogging is not desirable in the bottom half of your landing approach..
All of the above I have witnessed first hand.. Lastly, snot sickles should not be plucked from you nose, they should melt naturally...
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

I have sort of the same problem, wanting to build up my jump number for the summer. Jumping in Denmark is most of the time chilly to say the least, and the weather guy just said that the temperature won't exceed 0* C all week :( Damn him!

Blue ones