Calvin19

Skydiving to BASE jump? Read- The Great Book of B.A.S.E.

I got into skydiving specifically to learn how to BASE jump. I had TONS of questions that were hard for me to find answers to. This was 8 years ago.
I recently finished reading the entire book The Great Book Of BASE by Matt Gerdes. I have been jumping for seven years, mentoring for four years, and was not able to find anything wrong with the information in this book. I strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to BASE jump, or anyone even interested in the history or modern equipment and technique of the sport.

http://base-book.com/

Please note that I am not advertising here, I was not asked to post this, I just want to share it with fellow skydivers.

...Please note that I am not advertising here, I was not asked to post this, I just want to share it with fellow skydivers.

I never intended to skydive...well I talked about it with a friend but I thought it cost too much. I finally did a tandem when I was 40; mainly as a xmas gift to my 18 year old daughter who jumped with me.....I was hooked

Recently I did my first w/s jump....I am hooked....I have only done 5 so far but plan on doing a few tomorrow.

....long story short; I just bought that book...do you see where this is going? B|

Thanks for the post and the nudge ;)

btw, you should work for them... they got at least one sale just cuz of u :)
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

[reply... they got at least one sale just cuz of u :)

Make that 2 ;)

I'm obviously not a BASE jumper but a relatively experienced paraglider pilot and a begginer skydiver hoping to get a taste of few diferent disciplines of skydiving and make my first Base jumps during 2011.
I have been looking at that book for a while now. Just oredered it along with BASE 66 :) Thanks for the push.

I'm reading it now and it does seem informative from a non-BASE perspective. It does make you realise the things you'd need to work on in skydiving if you ever wanted to get into BASE. I also read BASE 66 and Groundrush, both good but latter is slightly more interesting I think. I'll never say never but I hope BASE never gets it's claws into me, the fatality list is already populated by too many people I knew. [:/]

the fatality list is already populated by too many people I knew. [:/]

im the biggest non jumping BASE supporter there is, and i truly think that noone even think about trying this sport without readint the fatality list, along with the BASE accident lit on BASEjumper.com. so people know what they are really getting into.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I just finished it. It was a Great book. Even if your not a base jumper there is some great info on the history of base. I highly recommend it.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

I'm in the same situation as you. I got into skydiving for the same reasons. I just realized, you should'nt become a basejumper within your first year as a skydiver. :)

Anyway; I've read Base 66 and i'm half ways trough The great book of base. Finding it very usefull for skydiving aswell. Technics on opening on heading i.e.

I'd also recomend "Confessions of an idiot" Great story about Chris McDougall's b.a.s.e life..