jamester28

Shoulder Surgery

I am having surgery to repair damage to my shoulder from a skydiving incident involving a dislocation in June which resulted in another dislocation a couple of weeks ago. I want the fastest recovery time and I read that having a nerve block vs general anesthesia produces better results but I would have to be awake for the procedure. :S I know one person who had general and it worked out but I was wondering of you skydivers who have had shoulder surgery could weigh in. I have a choice of regional or general anesthesia and I want to hear your experience with your method of anesthesia and if you wished you had chosen a different method. This may at first seem like a narrow poll audience but I have seen A LOT of posts from skydivers who have had shoulder repairs.

You may want to reconsider the surgery... there are some cutting-edge physical therapies out there...
try some of these ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnDBHPKLJ6A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIv9MK2Z8Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GepQXytwuw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-kNGLd0wc8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4fmvvmypM8&feature=related

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

I know its not the answer you are looking for, but you need to be prepared for a decently long road of recovery. Do the time, dont skimp on rehabbin, and get back to the sport when you are healed. I seriously doubt the type of anesthesia will effect your recovery time. Especially compared to the quality of rehab. Of course I am not a doctor. But I have had 2 dislocations and then surgery. Overall, it really sucks but you will be thankful when you are healed up.
BASE 1384

Hey man, Sorry to hear about your injury.

I was in a car accident and tore my shoulder out of socket pretty well. I had a shoulder arthroscopy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthroscopy#Shoulder_arthroscopy ) under general anesthesia to re-attach the tendons to the rotator cuff tear (3 of the 4 tendons were torn).

I had my arm in a sling for 8 weeks and physical therapy for 6 months before I was back to normal. Be prepared to do your physiotherapy and don't try to rush it. Better have ~6 months on the sidelines and a healed shoulder than 3 month recovery and problems for the next 30-odd years.

Best of luck with your recovery!
I'd rather be on a losing 4-way team than a winning football team.

I declined the nerve block, but even if they would have done it, it would still have been a general anesthesia. Are you sure it wouldn't be general? The block is done while you are awake, but I doubt the procedure will be.

Getting shoulder surgery for the exact reason you stated is the best thing I ever did. As has been stated, do the time. DO THE THERAPY. Don't just say you did it.

You won't jump for probably 8 months, but it could be much worse. Do you really want your arm dislocating in freefall?

Are you sure it wouldn't be general? The block is done while you are awake, but I doubt the procedure will be.

Oh yeah, I had both a nerve block and general anesthesia. I highly doubt the procedure would be done with you awake in either case.

Take my advice- have the nerve block in either case.

Why? The impression I had was that it made the next few hours after the surgery less painful, but didn't change much else.

Well, if you want to sit through the pain, be my guest... I always lived by the motto "No pain, no pain".

The method of anesthesia should not affect your recovery time. Regional anesthesia is a viable option to general if you have serious fears of being put under, or a medical contraindication. You may also have a nerve block placed intra-op to reduce immediate (first 12-24h) post op pain.

Your recovery time will depend more on surgical technique, the extensiveness of the repair involved, and your post-op physical therapy. Don't rush the rehab and recovery. It's not like the sport is going anywhere while you recover.

Like the others said, your recovery will be long either way.

Regarding pain control - it really depends on your pain threshold. I've had two shoulder surgeries, one arthroscopic under general and the other open with a nerve block and general.

The pain from the first surgery wasn't bad, and I didn't use any of the pain killers prescribed for post-op pain.

The pain from the second surgery was, IIRC, quite a lot worse, and i recall using pain killers for three or four days after the nerve block wore off. I didn't, however, like the nerve block in lieu of the pain killers. You have no control and no sensation after a nerve block, and IMO your risk of bashing it into something and doing further damage is too high. Of course, i don't know what the pain would have been like without the block - probably pretty bad. My open surgery was about as extensive as it gets without simply replacing the shoulder entirely (this option was discussed and dismissed due to my age).

It was amusing when the block wore of on my motor control nerves before it did on the sensation nerves. It's like being able to control somebody else's arm using the Force.

What will they be doing during the surgery?

Rotator cuff surgery last year. one torn tendon screwed back down. Some bone trimming. Lap for the trimming and cut open for the repair.

Had the block as well as general.

The block was a pain in the neck because the doc had to poke and poke my neck to get the nerve.
surgery was about 8:30 and I was home about noon.

Arm was numb down to fingers but started to get feeling back late afternoon. Maybe it help with the pain for half a day but I don't think much after that.

Check the cost. 1st statement was $1,800 for shot which BC declined. Don't remember the final charge for the shot but I think less than $100.

Ask questions!! Somebody just had mentioned to get the block because there is less pain, so I asked for the block. Did not know if insurance was going to pay for it, what it cost, what it did!:S I was pretty stupid on that one.:D

surgery 5 years ago, YESTERDAY!!!!

had both the block and general.. my rotator cuff was a real mess, the result of a number of injuries, over many years.. The repair was only partial...
i'm just "ok " now. the whole idea of the nerve block,,,, is so that they can SEND YOU HOME,,,, the same day.... and you are not screaming in pain...[:/]

Once that wears off.... it's a tough first week....

hang in there.. good luck
jt

Yeah now that I recall, waking up in the middle of the night when all the pain killers had worn off, was just about the most pain I have felt, ever. Worse than my broken arm, sprained stuff, etc. Worse than my ankle surgery.

Block or not, be SURE to wake up and take some pain killers throughout the night!!!!!!!!

For my shoulder surgery I had the block and the general...turns out my insurance didn't cover the block - but since they preapproved the charge before the surgery - they ended up paying for it after a small fight...my recovery time was 6 months - I ended up hiring an ex NFL football player turned trainer (who happened to have the same surgery I did) to help me with the rehab - best money I ever spent...

Its not too bad... When we were going over my MRI all he mentioned was a repair to the glenoid. I have what I think is called a bankart lesion where the cartilage that holds the shoulder in is torn. I just need that sutured back in place. He pointed out 2 Hill-Sachs lesions that aren't bad enough to warrant repairs. I guess as far as shoulder injuries go I got lucky. Especially considering that the first one happened during a very hard opening and I had to turn and land with only my right arm. It didn't occur to me to take both toggles in one hand and flare so it was a no flair landing as well. The landing wasn't bad though as I was very lightly loaded (0.6). I REALLY appreciate the advice from some of you guys as to insurance not covering the nerve block. I will definitely ask beforehand and check. I was also not aware they would do both. Thanks for all the replies. And @Grant... I have definitely considered coming to hang out at the boro. I could use some practice packing. Not ALL aspects of skydiving are learned in the air I suppose. :ph34r:

That was what my first surgery was for. Will you be having open or arthroscopic surgery? A bankart lesion can be done either way.

If arthroscopic, I wouldn't bother with the nerve block. It will be somewhat pointless. The pain for that particular procedure is nothing special - at least it wasn't in my case.

The surgery worked really well right up until I asploded my shoulder completely. Now I'm waiting for the arthritis to develop and the fake shoulder technology to mature more.

I had shoulder surgery couple years ago for rotator cuff/labrum problems. My doc is highly regarded in sports medicine and takes care of many athletes in Chicago area. He strongly discouraged nerve blocks. I can't recall all the reasons but remember it had something to do with post-op pain rebound being much worse as the local anesthetic wears off, which then required more pain killers to manage and slowed recovery.

As it was, it was very painful long recovery (over a year), but ultimately worth it.

Surgery is done! I got a nerve block in addition to general anesthesia. I think the only difference it made was allowing me to get a head start on my narcs. So far my pain hasn't passed a 3 on the 1-10 scale. Although I am taking my pills religiously by what my anesthesiologist recommended. Lets hope the PT goes as smooth as the surgery. Thanks for the well wishes, guys!

Hey... He offered to let me take a device home that would continue a drip to make it last 3 days but I just wanted enough to let me get home, get comfortable, and start on my narcs. I took my bandages off today and my chest and shoulder looks like abstract art. They wrote all over me with a permanent marker. :ph34r:

Had it yesterday, They mellowed me out, did the nerve block and then general.
Kinda remember my arm twitching as they poked around, didn't feel squat.
was advised that I'd get tingling in fingers, hand, lower arm..take meds now.
Nurse told me "you shoulder is going to be really pissed off at you when the block wears off!"
Never got tingles, functions just slowly came back.
Down side of the block is that it makes your voice hoarse and affected my breathings. (was explained prior to opting for the block)
Now, 24 hours later, shoulder isn't pissed, just a little angry, numbness all gone, voice all better and can cough. On second pill.
SOS #1314