tmarine253

Bought my first rig

but I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

I would have gotten a second opinion. Be safe.

thats two opinions......

Do you have any point at all other than to inject yet another smartass comment into a skydiving thread?

>>I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

>>I talked with a number of the AFF instructors who I have jumped with and they all said it would be ok for me flying a 126.

I either frankly doubt that, or I'd like to kick their asses.

but I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

I would have gotten a second opinion. Be safe.

thats two opinions......

Do you have any point at all other than to inject yet another smartass comment into a skydiving thread?

I proved a point!
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

IMO it is foolish to get a reserve smaller than any canopy you have ever landed before.

If you have the experience and training to safely land a 126, get a 120 main and a 126 reserve. If you can't safely land a 126, then get a bigger reserve. If you're not sure, try a 120 and see how it goes.

Thinking "I have never jumped such a small canopy, but I am sure I will be able to land it safely if I have to land out in a small area" is, IMO, a poor line of thinking,

IMO it is foolish to get a reserve smaller than any canopy you have ever landed before.

If you have the experience and training to safely land a 126, get a 120 main and a 126 reserve. If you can't safely land a 126, then get a bigger reserve. If you're not sure, try a 120 and see how it goes.

Thinking "I have never jumped such a small canopy, but I am sure I will be able to land it safely if I have to land out in a small area" is, IMO, a poor line of thinking,

I am not proud to admit, but I will admit for the benefit of others, that my only significant injury in this sport was exactly because I hesitated to use my reserve.

I am a big fellow, but the reserve was big too, a 193. Still, it would have been the smallest 7 cell F111-type canopy I'd jumped to that point, and I thought that my slightly messed up Raven 4 (arguably, 282 sq ft) would get me down okay.

I was wrong, and wore a foam neck brace for the next 4 months.

All in all, I got off easy.

But if there is even a hint of being unsure if your reserve is a poorer choice because of its size, well, it could happen to you.

I have put two jumps on this rig since I got it and am just finding out that 170's are not supposed to go into V310s. It had been a rental rig with a 170 in it and the rigger who put my canopy on and in my container (different rigger than the one that said a 126 reserve would be good to go) never mentioned the fact that the 170 should not be in that container. This is making me think that I might even trade for a 150 because I am not to keen on the idea of having a canopy in a container it is not supposed to be in. However, I did pack the 170 last night and had no problem getting it into the container but it does make me wonder if I am in store for a container lock soon.

but it does make me wonder if I am in store for a container lock soon.

I really don't think that is the thing you should be worrying about.

You're already jumping a reserve that pretty everyone on this thread agrees is too small for you and now you are choosing to downsize your main to fit your container.

I am a low-time jumper, but I really question your decision making process.

Don't get dead, dude.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I have flown the 150 before with no problems. I just wanted the 170 for reasons stated above. And I am going to be talking to the jumpmaster who told me a 126 would be no problem flying again. I had not discussed the two out situation with him because it did not come to me at the time. And to everyone who has commented on this, I do appreciate it and I will be looking into this again with the people who said this rig would be good to go. I am going to the dropzone tomorrow and I will let you all know what happens. I literally bought this rig on Saturday so I am sure they will be accomidating changing out the main and reserve if I need to. Thanks again everyone. I have never intended to push beyond my limits in this sport because I know what happens, people die. However I am new to all of this and my knowledge when it comes to gear is pretty insignificant so I only trusted what two certified jumpmasters with thousands of jumps who have seen me jump a number of times tell me. Thanks again.

I have flown the 150 before with no problems.

The concern everyone appears to have in this thread is the circumstances in which that judgment was made. It may well be true that you can land a 150 decently when things are going well. The point is that reserve rides often occur when things are not going as planned. If you're at 1200 feet, dazed, heart racing, and you need to put that 126 down between power lines and buildings, it's a whole different animal...
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

I chose to go with the 170 over a 150 because I like being in the air under canopy. I handle the 150 just fine and it wasn't that I wanted a slower canopy I just like being in the air a little bit longer.

You said this just yesterday, now you are thinking about changing your main size to fit your container better, even though you want to stick to a 170.

Take councilman's advice seriously.

Interestingly enough UPT's sizer says that they don't MAKE a container that holds those two canopies! A storm 150 is supposed to be full in a 310 and a PD 126 loose. That's the good news. You can, according to UPT, fit a PD 143 or a 160 optimum in there.

You can pick up a used 143 for around $500. There are a lot of 126's on the market since a lot of people are starting to upsize to the optimum (yes, I did say upsize) since they would also like a bigger reserve (who wouldn't?).

I think it is unanimous, we want you to be safe and not get hurt.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I'm going to look at getting a 143 for it and to the above poster who asked about down sizing to a 150 even though I wanted a 170. I do want a 170 but if its not supposed to go in my container than I want a 150 because that does fit. I didn't choose the 170 because I can't handle the 150 because I can and have. My goal is to be as safe as possible and it sounds like I am not doing that good of a job right now. So after reading this it sounds like the best option is to trade in both canopies and get a storm 150 and a 143 reserve. I love the storm canopies so I know I want that. Does this sound like a safe bet to you all or what do you all recommend? Go even bigger on the reserve canopy?

So should I keep my 170 in my V310 for another 20-40 jumps and then downsize to a 150?

Well, if you were trying to use the absolute minimum value for your main. However, as everyone else is pointing out, the reserve fails that criteria pretty significantly.

My opinion is that it's not worth a possible injury which could inhibit your jumping for the rest of your life..or worse. Plus, it will be easier to develop canopy control with a slightly less loaded canopy at first. We're not talking about limiting you to a 230+ Manta. Just my .02 though.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

As others have pointed out, the fact that you handled the 150 ok - so far - means little at your currently low level of experience. Can you consistently land a 150 or 143 safely in a very tight spot, downwind, in an off landing? Can you consistently execute a low-altitude emergency flat turn with the 150 or 143 without turning it into a deadly hook turn into the ground? If the answer is "not yet", then you're not yet ready for it.

Don't plan for landing under optimum conditions; plan for the shit hitting the fan when you least expect it. Personally, I think that at your experience and WL it would do you a world of good to stick with the 170 for at least another 50 jumps. That will keep you at about 1:1 WL. There's a ton you can learn, safely, with a decent canopy at 1:1 before downsizing.

Thanks for the input. I think Im going to keep the 170 I really love the canopy. I was just concerned about keeping a 170 in my container but it fits and its not overly tight.

Good job! :)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA