tmarine253

Bought my first rig

I just bought my first rig down at Deland. I am pretty excited and got to do two jumps on it yesterday. I got a Vector V310 with a Storm 170 and a PD Reserve 126. I know I will probably catch some flack for having such a small reserve on a big main, but I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

but I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

I would have gotten a second opinion. Be safe.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I talked with a number of the AFF instructors who I have jumped with and they all said it would be ok for me flying a 126. I almost bought a 150 for my main but I wanted a more conservative canopy just for personal reasons but they said if I have to fly a 126 reserve I would have no problem.

I wanted a more conservative canopy just for personal reasons...

Have you considered that the first time you do fly your 126 it will be after a scary emergency and that you will have just downsized 44 sq ft, or 26%? A 126 sq ft canopy is a high performance wing in the eyes of just about everyone (including the SIM) whereas a 170 is not.

It is not a mistake that many of the guys jumping tiny x-braces have reserves that are MUCH larger.

I am no instructor but you may want to consider at least buying the biggest Optimum you can get in that container.

Be safe, man.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I'm not sure what kind of comments you were looking for about this post when you said "I know I will probably catch some flack for having such a small reserve".

I'm not going to pat you on the back and say "good job" for buying a reserve that I think is not appropriate for a novice jumper at your wingloading. PD and Brain Germain seem to concur as well.

In the end, I don't know you, or your skillz. It's just an opinion, and we all know how they are. As I said, be safe.

Edited to ad: To piggyback on Jerry's post, demo a 160/143 before the 126. If they are to fast for you, the 126 is for sure.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I am no instructor and fairly new myself, but I would pretty damn nervous about having such a small reserve. If it were me, I would try going for as big of a reserve as could get in to my container until I had a lot more experience. But that is just me. Good luck and be safe.

Blue skies
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Well then you got a LOT of BAD advice. While PD tends to be conservative in what they publish, and the canopies fly 'big' (for reasons I won't go into here) I very likely wouldn't have even packed it for you. It is too small for any beginner, no matter how small they are. And it doesn't matter much how 'good' you are.

Interestingly enough UPT's sizer says that they don't MAKE a container that holds those two canopies! A storm 150 is supposed to be full in a 310 and a PD 126 loose. That's the good news. You can, according to UPT, fit a PD 143 or a 160 optimum in there. Take a new to used but like new hit on the reserve, choose one of the above, and get it.

Or put it a closet until you have several hundred (or better yet,thousand) jumps.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I just bought my first rig down at Deland. I am pretty excited and got to do two jumps on it yesterday. I got a Vector V310 with a Storm 170 and a PD Reserve 126. I know I will probably catch some flack for having such a small reserve on a big main, but I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

The reserve wasn't a second hand sale from a rigger or instructor was it? :)

I was jumping 10 years and and at no point did I ever have a reserve that small... but then I guess I'm just a pussy and don't have mad skillz. :D

but I talked extensively with the jumpmaster and rigger down at Deland that said it would be just fine.

Into the quickie mart parking lot (or roof) downtown on a hot 110 degree aug. on a Friday afternoon at 5:30 pm between the power lines, trees and parked cars?

How about passed out ?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Define "Big Man"? [:/]

I'm gonna guess though, if your JM's were happy with it, they know you well enough...but should have suggested you test jump it a couple times, Your reserve may have to land you in the only dry spot of a swamp around Deland, not something for a low timer to be taking on with the smallest canopy they "ever" jumped!:S

Okay, Humor me for a second friend ~ why didn't you go for a 150 reserve or a 170? Were you trying to get the smallest container possible for some reason? I mean, this doesn't make sense..
=========Shaun ==========

This probably isn't the reaction you were counting on but there's a reason for all the negative posts. Canopy manufactures have demos, both main and reserves, you can jump. Trying to land in someones back yard on a canopy that's to small is not the time to learn how it handles. Do yourself a big favor and demo your reserve. Find out how it flies and lands. You'll thank yourself you did!

I would have gotten a second opinion. Be safe.

thats two opinions......
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Do yourself a big favor and demo your reserve.

That is likely a bad idea, because it is too small!:o:D:|

Much better to demo a larger canopy that will replace the one that should be replaced.

Not only is it too small for you, but you know it is, and that thought might very well creep into your head when you face a low speed malfunction - possibly preventing you from wanting to use your reserve, or at least causing a hesitation in your thoughts. That would be bad. It is much better to have no such thoughts about your reserve.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not looking to get into arguements over this. However, I would never hesitate to use my reserve if the situation warranted it. I feel fully capable flying the canopy and so does a jumpmaster with over 10,000 jumps and an AFF instructor with over 5000 jumps. I don't discount the opinions on these forums and I wasn't seeking advice. As people always say on here. Take what you read on here with a grain of salt and consult an instructor. I did just that. I didn't order the canopy online I bought it after hours of discussion with someone who knew my skill level under canopy. I do appreciate the opinions on here and I will demo the canopy at some point. Thanks.

I have a 170 main loaded at 1.4 which almost everyone on here says is too much for me with my jump numbers. My instructors told me I would be fine with it, and I trust them. My reserve, however, is a Raven 218. I have had 1 high speed and 2 low speed malfunctions and I gotta tell you I was GLAD to have that much fabric over my head after my cutaways, especially since my high speed mal (broken lines and spinning like hell) resulted in multiple linetwists on my reserve (which flew perfectly straight while I kicked them out).
Just food for thought.
On the other hand, please DZ.Com people stop talking out of both sides of your mouth! The most parroted answer on here to low timer questions is "Ask your instructors". Unless, of course, the instructor doesnt agree with your opinion. Then its all "Your instructor is an idiot" or "they just wanted to sell you that canopy".
You guys cant have it both ways...[:/]

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I'm not looking to get into arguements over this. However, I would never hesitate to use my reserve if the situation warranted it. I feel fully capable flying the canopy and so does a jumpmaster with over 10,000 jumps and an AFF instructor with over 5000 jumps. I don't discount the opinions on these forums and I wasn't seeking advice. As people always say on here. Take what you read on here with a grain of salt and consult an instructor. I did just that. I didn't order the canopy online I bought it after hours of discussion with someone who knew my skill level under canopy. I do appreciate the opinions on here and I will demo the canopy at some point. Thanks.

I'm not attacking you, I don't know you and therefore I'm not going to judge. However, what made you go with a 126 instead of a 150? I mean, do you plan on downsizing your main and want the smallest container possible? I'm just thinking from a rigging standpoint, it makes a whole lot more sense to have a 150 reserve with a 170 or another 150 when you downsize. .....
=========Shaun ==========

I chose to go with the 170 over a 150 because I like being in the air under canopy. I handle the 150 just fine and it wasn't that I wanted a slower canopy I just like being in the air a little bit longer. I did buy a small container because I am a very small framed person I weigh 130-135lbs. on any given day without gear. I had such a hard time finding a container that would fit me and the 126 fit in there perfectly and at the time I need to use my reserve I will not be concerned with just hanging out in the air. I was also told by another AFF instructor that the 126 will fly just a little faster than the Storm 150 so I am not concerned about my ability to land the 126.

I am not concerned about my ability to land the 126.

I guess time will tell. Let me ask a couple questions.

1. do you think everyone on this forum is disagreeeing with your decision just to be a bunch of dickheads?

2. Have you asked your instructor, or rigger, how these canopies will fly if you happen to have a 2 out situation?

There is more than 1 reason for having similar sized canopies besides you ability to fly them.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.