jf951

pilot chute packing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCeYlY_6io&NR=1

have any of you guys used this pilot chute packing technique?

has anybody had any issues with it?
has anybody had this clear a horse shoe for them?

id hate to blindly fallow something i learned on youtube but it does seem like he has some validity.

im currently packing my pilot chute exactly the way he says not to ...

bottom line, is this a safe/ proven/ reliable way to pack a pilot chute?
Jump more, Bitch less.

>>have any of you guys used this pilot chute packing technique?

Yes.

>> has anybody had any issues with it?

Not that I know of; but I can't speak for others.

>>has anybody had this clear a horse shoe for them?

I think others have. Doesn't necessarily get reported.

>>id hate to blindly fallow something i learned on youtube but it does seem like he has some validity.

-Brian is pretty approachable. I've seen him teach, both in seminars and at canopy courses, and he's an excellent communicator. I suggest e-mailing him or even giving him a call.

I do it for last couple of hundred jumps. No problem. Even almost all of the guys that I`m jumping with now switched to this method.

On a side note, I had some hard pulls before because of various "proven and reliable" techniques taught by some (much more experienced) guys. Once I was even told that you ARE supposed to put a lot of strength into pulling PC (and not be a sissy). "Pull it like a man!" WTF?
I also got comments that my new "Germain" pack is gay. :S

dudeist skydiver #42

Not really an issue, but it makes your pilotchute "small but thick", this will probably wear out your pouch quicker.

When i pack it the way he does my pilotchute is only half the lenght of the pouch. This makes my pouch look pregnant :)
Im worried that the extra bulk of the pilotchte will wear out the pouch and the pilotchute will slip out of the pouch :S

i was thaught another way, but then just like you, found this solution (to maybe a non-existing problem?); i've had hard pulls before, but never with this method. most guys i've showed it to have adopted it, and now all the young jumpers at my dz use this method, with success i might say?

for the "small and thick"-comment, i noticed that too, but if you keep it really tight when you shove it into the pouch, it stays pretty well put. patting on the pouch after it's in also helps! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

for the "small and thick"-comment, i noticed that too :)

I dunno, mine is longer and lean, comes out pretty easily :P;)
probably has something to do with construction and/or bridle folding.

mine comes out easy too, that's why i do it! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Im worried that the extra bulk of the pilotchte will wear out the pouch and the pilotchute will slip out of the pouch :S

Or, looking at it another way, as long as you keep the pouch maintained the short thick wodge of PC will be less likely to work it's way past the mouth of the pouch than a thinner, more loosely held PC.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

True.
But because it gets a evenly thick shape and the PC is slippery it does make me worried.

I fold my PC the same way as in the video but i dont fold it in half as he does.
It gives me a longer PC that fills the whole length of the pouch.

But yes you should maintain your stuff. And one way to keep the wear to a minimum of the pouch is to not have the PC packed when you are not jumping.
I usually stuff down the bridle in the pouch and wrap the PC around the MLW/Legstrap-area when im not using the gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCeYlY_6io&NR=1

id hate to blindly fallow something i learned on youtube but it does seem like he has some validity.

I've packed like that for about ~350 jumps without any issues doing so. Haven't had a horseshoe while using it so I can't say if it will clear in a live situation.

I haven't heard any reasons not use that method, beyond some vague mumbling about it wearing out your PC quicker, so I'll keep on using it.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

-Brian is pretty approachable. I've seen him teach, both in seminars and at canopy courses, and he's an excellent communicator. I suggest e-mailing him or even giving him a call.

+1, shoot him an email, hes always been quck to reply to any of the little minor questions I've asked him.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My DZO teaches the same pack method. I also did what Brian recommends in the video: pack the pilot both ways, pull on the bridle and watch which method clears and which method does not clear. His method cleared every time with ease.

I also e-mailed Brian and he was quick to respond and discuss it with me.

Try packing both ways and you’ll see for yourself.

I use Brian's method. The other benefit besides preventing a possible horseshoe is that it is another way to make sure your pilot chute is cocked. If it is not cocked, you won't be able to move the bridle to the outer edge of the PC to start folding it.

One time I got distracted during packing to answer a question. When I came back, forgot to cock the PC. It wasn't until trying to fold it that I discovered the mistake. I credit Brian's method with saving me a pretty sure chance of a reserve ride.

If you are concerned with the short and fat problem, just beat the hell out of the BOC flatten it out. The spandex on my rig is still nice and tight.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

This is the method that I was taught when I learned to pack. I've had a few much more experienced jumpers look at me with skepticism when I'm doing it ("Why are you making all that work for yourself when you can just do ??"), but after I show them the demo that Brian does in the video, they either nod in slightly surprised approval or shrug it away as the harmless OCD packing of a newbie.

WRT the "short but thick" PC stretching out the pouch: From the video, it looks and sounds like the important parts of this packing technique to prevent a horseshoe are:

1) to make sure that the bridal attachment point on the underside of the PC is pulled down and aligned with the outer edge of the PC
2) to have the bridal folded inside the PC so that it exits toward the hackey/out of the pouch

Brian doesn't seem too place to much emphasis on the rest of how he folds the PC fabric. But that's just what I took away from the video. It would be something to ask Brian when you email him, and if you post his answer here, I'd certainly be interested to read it.

Yes. Probably over 2,000 total jumps worth.

No. None at all. In fact, I will rebut as well, any claims that in any way, it can cause greater wear. I will contend actually the opposite. Because bridal does not need to be "stripped"/pulled from being folded tightly within your PC material itself each & every time you deploy (as it does now with your current method), and it instead with this method - all has its own clean access/release to the relative wind once the PC is extracted - I would submit this facilitates actually LESS wear. On the PC itself, and/or the PC mesh in comparison - depending upon which method you currently use to pack your PC with, to compare it against. Zero friction on other materials = zero wear.

Not personally, but... I HAVE SEEN IT 1st hand HAPPEN / WORK! - On the other hand too, I have also personally seen 1st hand several times, where a PC packed as how you are saying you do now ("exactly the way he says not to") - has caused a monkey's fist and hard/impossible pull! - FWIW.

I think Brian Germane has got some credibility/validity. ;)

I have seen at least one horse-shoe occur live, in-air where the PC did NOT extract, and also caused exactly as has been illustrated: A "Monkey's Fist" of the PC in the pouch as the S-folded INSIDE the PC bridal all crammed-up into a big ol' unextractable wad. Even on the ground putting a foot up against the rig as leverage and yanking on the exposed bridal could not extract it! On the other hand, I have also seen personally live, in air also - a jumper who DID employ this method's main container come open on a jump - and right as the bag got to that "horseshoe" arc of extension over his back, the PC simply extracted - and "just as advertised" - nice, simple (but unplanned/high) clean deployment.

So I can tell you 1st-hand, this is not at all devised to address a ghost, or otherwise at all "non-existent" potentiality/concern.

Yes. In my opinion, and observations anyway - it is.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I've used this method (slightly different but the basic principle being the same(*)) for quite some time, roughly 100 jumps and it works just fine. Takes a little more time but makes me feel a little more safe :)

(*) I applied parts of how I pack my drogue to Brian's technique. B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

WRT the "short but thick" PC stretching out the pouch: From the video, it looks and sounds like the important parts of this packing technique to prevent a horseshoe are:

1) to make sure that the bridal attachment point on the underside of the PC is pulled down and aligned with the outer edge of the PC
2) to have the bridal folded inside the PC so that it exits toward the hackey/out of the pouch

Brian doesn't seem too place to much emphasis on the rest of how he folds the PC fabric. But that's just what I took away from the video. It would be something to ask Brian when you email him, and if you post his answer here, I'd certainly be interested to read it.

Right. *(other than getting your "to" and "too's" exactly opposite/mixed up ;)).

No one has said (including Brian in his video) that you have to do this such that it causes a shorter/fatter more pregnant "short but thick" result! For those that are doing that - write to Brian, or call him, or find someone on your DZ now, who does this now - and can show you method (the one I like personally in particular, is called "the taco" method) of folding/rolling the excess PC material, so that it does NOT cause this.

Just saying "it causes this" as a bi-product and therefore summarily dismissing this as a valid method as a result, is incorrect. For some, maybe it will take just a little bit of practice on technique is all - but I can show you / assure you by packing both methods myself, side-by-side, that this doesnot have to be so at all. Whoever is stating that, is just simply not taking the time or the (extremely minimal) extra attention/effort to get this right is all. That then becomes their choice. I personally do not think it is too much extra effort, or time/trouble (in assuring/attention to the details) to actually get it done (right).

Again, just FWIW.

You've asked (the OP) if the PC Packing method is "valid". Yes it is.

Is it also perhaps possibly too, just a little bit more time/effort, and requires just a bit more attention to detail to get right? - Sure, I suppose it probably does that too. Once you have gotten it down, and into a "routine" though - I personally anyway, don't really see any big detriment to it (including apparently for some, it making their PC pouch "fatter") at all. I think it is worth it. And at least if then for nothing else, to answer the OP's concern over just taking for granted anything found on YouTube (a good double-check for sure to do!) - in this case, yes - - the method is "valid", and is coming to you from a source that has earned/recognized credibility at least.

FWIW.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Right. *(other than getting your "to" and "too's" exactly opposite/mixed up ;)).

Haha, damn! When I previewed that post before submitting, I noticed that I wrote "to much," went back to fix it to "too much", and added the "o" to the wrong "to" ... Go figure -- that's what I get for trying to be grammatically correct on the intarwebs.