jf951

dropzone employment

so next year im going to be at a UC and from what ive heard the long hard shaft of american education is gonna hurt. i dont really feel like throwing a real job into the mix so im kinda thinking about working at a DZ, i was thinking doing tandems or video, ill be up to 500 and getting my D by the time spring rolls around

so my questions are:
1. how do you get started? just take a tandem course at ur home DZ and then assume they will hire you...?
or just start chasing tandems and get the practice in and then ask for a job?

2. for those of you in college who work at a DZ on the weekends, it seems like its a pretty manageable job to incorporate with everything but then again the grass is always greener on the other side. can i get some feed back from those of you who've done that.
Jump more, Bitch less.

1) Make a lot of jumps to get your experience up

2) Get multi-rated. It's a requirement to be considered at many DZ's now. Camera+AFF+tandem+rigger would be ideal, but get at least two of the four.

>or just start chasing tandems and get the practice in and then ask for a job?

Can't hurt to help out and get to know the staff there.

You do realize that all those ratings and jumps are going to cost you upwards of 15K, right?

There is a semester or two right there just to get the privledge to work.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Not to piss on your parade...

This has been discussed a bunch. Search for "dropzone job" and you will see that becoming a DZ employee can be difficult.

There is normally a line of folks trying to work at a DZ and many of them have ratings... The busier the area, the harder it is to get a slot. I'll use me as an example. I am AFF, Tandem, SL with 5k jumps and just got a Silver and a Bronze at this years Nationals. I just moved back to FL. There are three DZ's near me. Two of them have enough staff that they didn't need anyone. One was pretty full, but wanted me there. But that's a guy that has all the ratings and has been instructing for 13 years.

Your best bet is to hang out at your home DZ and learn to pack, or get your Tandem rating. Your home DZ is much more likely to hire you than some DZ you have never been at.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You usually need to have the ratings and some experience to get hired at any decent sized DZ.

When I went to school back in the dark ages I got hired right off because there really weren't that many Instructors back then, today it's a different story...

What you might want to try is something I did to bring some extra $ back then...I made a deal with the DZO for a higher % than an ordinary Instructor would get, if I brought and taught my 'own' students in.

Took a bit of sales work at the university but I always had a dozen people a weekend that likely wouldn't have come out if I hadn't brought them...DZO made money and I made money. Win Win.

Keep in mind that depending on the dz, it's seasonal and weather dependant, also the full time instructors may not want to give up a lot of the weekend 'gravy' they've been waiting all week for.

My DZ job in college paid for my jumping, gas for the car and made it possible to drink decent beer instead of generic...I also had a couple of part-time jobs in town as well to pay for rent & food. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My DZ job in college paid for my jumping, gas for the car and made it possible to drink decent beer instead of generic...I also had a couple of part-time jobs in town as well to pay for rent & food.

That's right kid ho'in & pimpin ain't easy......
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

>You do realize that all those ratings and jumps are going to cost
>you upwards of 15K, right?

Well, maybe 5K. But yes, they are not free.

>There is a semester or two right there just to get the privledge to work.

Yep. Skydiving is not a good place to make easy money. Generally you need dedication, skill and patience to make even a little money.

Yep. Skydiving is not a good place to make easy money. Generally you need dedication, skill and patience to make even a little money.

Or like me, when I got in to it..someone that has already fucked up their future, and doesn't give a shit....:ph34r:B|;) Worry about your studies, Skydiving will still be here!

Or like me, when I got in to it..someone that has already fucked up their future, and doesn't give a shit....:ph34r:B|;) Worry about your studies, Skydiving will still be here!

not everyone has started when the wheel was just invented; and rode TWO of them to boot! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

1) Make a lot of jumps to get your experience up

2) Get multi-rated. It's a requirement to be considered at many DZ's now. Camera+AFF+tandem+rigger would be ideal, but get at least two of the four.

>or just start chasing tandems and get the practice in and then ask for a job?

Can't hurt to help out and get to know the staff there.

so my questions are:
1. how do you get started?

I did the diploma at the NZ skydiving school, I never had a jump before but I had no doubt that I would love it and that it would be an attractive career for me.

I was broke before I started so what did I have to lose?

I applied myself and was a commercial skydiver within a year... 8 years later I am a DZO.

It all depends on how much you want it, what you are willing to put into it/sacrifice, and what opportunities come up when you are ready for them.

Things are completely different in different places. Be prepared to travel and eat noodles for a year or two...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

packing is probably the best bet but depending were you are going to school it could be horribly slow during college terms

from what i have seen tandem rating is definitely the way to go, outside video slots are far harder to get.