tmarine253

Has anyone seen this video?

I am reposting because I posted the wrong video before and deleted the post. Apparently this guy couldn't deploy his pilot chute or activate his reserve so he waited for his aad to fire. I just think this is pretty crazy. I dont know how to make it a click link, sorry for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmIu_mQ04o

I am reposting because I posted the wrong video before and deleted the post. Apparently this guy couldn't deploy his pilot chute or activate his reserve so he waited for his aad to fire. I just think this is pretty crazy. I dont know how to make it a click link, sorry for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmIu_mQ04o

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

First..to make a link, C/P your link, then click that little URL tag down there to your bottom right corner, in front of the link, and then again at the end of your link! (there is an easier way , but harder to explain)

As for the subject, he needs to take up bowling, he is too fuckin stupid to Skydiving...>:(

My thing is, I am assuming the person is an experienced skydiver being he is wearing a camera, maybe they do it differently in Germany, but god damn that ground rush right before the AAD fires is crazy not to mention the 8 second canopy flight.

Don't assume that. If he's stupid enough to wait for his AAD to fire, he's stupid enough to wear a camera on jump 30.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Well you said you're a Marine, so I figured I would help you out.:P

From an Old Army guy, thanks for Serving.

Matt

Key word there... :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Looking beyond the discussion of the jumper's intentions, I'm kind of troubled that it looks like AirTec is using this as a piece of marketing. While I understand that without the CYPRES this guy wouldn't be here, it seems that publicizing this save is at least mild encouragement of waiting for your CYPRES to fire as a sound deployment technique. :S I hope that this YouTube clip has edited out an explanation by the manufacturer that this is a horrible plan for not dying during a skydive, whether you have an AAD or not.

Matthew Wallin
C-37899

The write-up from the Cypress saves list is below.

This video was originally posted with sound. In that video you could hear a guy on the ground say something like “Holy $h1t” and the jumpers video camera picked up the voice.

Why only one attempt at the silver handle is anyone’s guess.

24.May 2003
Germany, Gera
Expert CYPRES
After a normal freefall with separation in 1200 meters the skydiver attempts to pull his BOC pilotchute at approx. 900 meters, but does not find it. He decides to pull his cutaway handle. The first and only attempt to find the reserve handle is negative. At this moment the jumper decides to go into stable box - position and to wait for his CYPRES to activate. The skydiver was wearing camera and was filming the DZ hangar, which became bigger and bigger. 12 sec. canopy ride after CYPRES activation.

Yeah that did cross my mind. I understand Air Tec wanting to show that their product does save lives, but this might be a stretch on what is reasonably acceptable for the marketing world.

You are not talking about marketing strategy for a mainstream item. This is an AAD for skydivers and this shows it doing just what it was designed to do. But it also shows how some skydivers have come to depend on it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm not worried about that aspect of marketing strategy.

I don't think people will avoid buying a Cypres because it is somehow tainted by the occasional stupidity of some people who own them.

A brief history:

Up to December 12, 1992:
AAD's are for students and other idiots

December 12, 1992 onwards:
AAD's are good, for almost anyone.

(That's a reference to the death of Tommy Piras.)

He didn't look very stable to me.....and he was headed right into the roof of that building.........[:/]

Packer building?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Nice spot by the pilot too !!!

I think you can also notice here the gloves look pretty big. It cant be repeated enough about jumping with big gloves in the cold and being able to pull any of your handles. It can really be a problem ! This is just an educated guess about this incident. I do not have local knowledge. Be aware if you decide to jump in the cold.
dont let life pass you by

Nice spot by the pilot too !!!

I think you can also notice here the gloves look pretty big. It cant be repeated enough about jumping with big gloves in the cold and being able to pull any of your handles. It can really be a problem ! This is just an educated guess about this incident. I do not have local knowledge. Be aware if you decide to jump in the cold.

Or not being able to pull your head out of you ass. [:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This is where Darwin awards come into play. Anyone that watches this video and decides to utilize their AAD as part of an acceptable deployment option, simply needs to be culled from the herd.

Seriously though, must we bubble wrap absolutely everything in life? You have to give people the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin