npgraphicdesign

How many of you don't jump in the cold weather?

Even though I dislike cold very much, I do jump all year round, with temps down to ~ -28oC at altitude.
I got me one of these, some good gloves (with under gloves), some good waterproof shoes (for the snow), 2 pairs of socks, a polar buff, a fleece jacket and thin fleece leggings for underneath the suit.
Good to go :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well I dont live in New England, Im from South Carolina and when we got rained out last weekend a few buddies and I went up about three hours north to North Carolina to jump. It was in the twenties at sea level when we made our first jump and never got above like 37 all day. We all just layered up(long-johns top and bottom, white tee, 2 long sleeves, northface fleece, jeans and ski pants) and my L and B gloves. My hands were the only thing that got cold and it was only under canopy, im pretty sure my hands were sweating in the plane on the way up and thats why they were so cold on the way down. Anyways it was still a ball and would do it again tomorrow if i could.

I live in Montana. sometimes if you want to jump, you jump in cold weather. Just like when I lived in England, if you don't ride your motorcycle in the rain, you don't ride very much.;)

In response to what do I wear.
Long johns, pants, turtleneck, another shirt on top of that, a sweater, jump suit, gloves, helmet.

Oh, and a parachute:P

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I live in Wisconsin and jump through the winter when we can get enough people for loads and a pilot. If you think about it you really aren't in the element for long so it isn't like you have to bundle up like you would if you were gonna go sit out in it for hours. I typically have long underwear and a light mid layer under my jumpsuit. I wear a neck gaitor and some mid weight winter gloves or neoprene gloves. The main thing you are trying to do is make sure you don't have any skin exposed to the air, as wind chill at those temps can freeze tissue slightly. I'm usually having a little pain in my fingers or my neck by the time I get back inside but nothing terrible. I ski, hunt, skate, and sometimes work outside all winter so I don't know how being in the cold for five minutes on a skydive is gonna be any worse?

I live in Montana. sometimes if you want to jump, you jump in cold weather. Just like when I lived in England, if you don't ride your motorcycle in the rain, you don't ride very much.;)

In response to what do I wear.
Long johns, pants, turtleneck, another shirt on top of that, a sweater, jump suit, gloves, helmet.

Oh, and a parachute:P

Wiseass. :ph34r::D:P

Well I dont live in New England, Im from South Carolina and when we got rained out last weekend a few buddies and I went up about three hours north to North Carolina to jump. It was in the twenties at sea level when we made our first jump and never got above like 37 all day. We all just layered up(long-johns top and bottom, white tee, 2 long sleeves, northface fleece, jeans and ski pants) and my L and B gloves. My hands were the only thing that got cold and it was only under canopy, im pretty sure my hands were sweating in the plane on the way up and thats why they were so cold on the way down. Anyways it was still a ball and would do it again tomorrow if i could.

The cold hand thing is a bitch when you think about it after opening your hands are on your breaks above your head and get the least aount of blood. Any dr's out there.

My hands were stinging even after landing. Sso we have to adapt. Open canopy get it on heading release the toggles breaks whatever and put you hands in you armpits. when you get closer to the ground go back to the breaks.

Think Ks winter no facilities packing in the snow etc. As long as you dress for success it's doable. Don't forgot to practice your EP's with all the extra cloth's and bulky gloves.

FWIW we were jumping from 7.5K;)
One Jump Wonder

We do some jumps in winter here as well. Can be quite cold (-10°C on the ground, exit altitude 4000 m (~ 14.000 ft) but the only thing that would prevent me from jumping were a hangar with no heating (or no hangar at all) B|
I have a thermosuit by Aero Suit to wear under my normal suit. See pic attached. The thermosuit is made of neopren, ~1 mm. Keeps really warm. The only secret is you must not wear any long johns etc under it but briefs and a singlet/vest. Fullface helmet, turtle-neck, X-country skiing gloves and a pair of warm socks (with normal trainers) for the rest of the body. B|
The right gloves are important since you spend some time riding your canopy. I once jumped with my "video gloves" which (due to wear and tear) have no tips at some fingers (hope you figure out what I mean). That was bloody cold! :o

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Been jumping in -29 C (that"s -20,2 Fahrenheit according to Google) this year and it was just to cold. Freefall is not too bad, but the canopy ride was so cold that I couldn't feel my fingers at all during the flare. I looked up to see if my fingers are within the brake loops and just pulled down my arms.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/4000meter
Youtube Favorites: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjnVsp4Epra-PRDETgrF3M04B3X86X1eh

Been jumping in -29 C (that"s -20,2 Fahrenheit according to Google) this year and it was just to cold.

was that on ground or at altitude ?
We had -25C on the ground / -43 at altitude :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Been jumping in -29 C (that"s -20,2 Fahrenheit according to Google) this year and it was just to cold.

We had -25C on the ground / -43 at altitude :)

fucking hell, then it's easy to get cold burns on ANY exposed skins, especially with all the wind..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

On altitude. Ground was around -10 C.
The Porter actually has a good heating and in the cabin it was quite warm and cosy. Once the door opened..... :o:o
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/4000meter
Youtube Favorites: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjnVsp4Epra-PRDETgrF3M04B3X86X1eh

Why don't you?

Its not fun and I have enough jumps that I don't want to be miserable just to add a number to a logbook.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

wasn't a naked jump :D

yea, but in july or friggin' august..

talked to jarno about this years chopper-thing, apparently, it took benedikt two months to get the full feeling back in his hands.. stupid fucking wanker!

:D:S:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

In Wisconsin winter sucks enough at ground level.. ill wait to finish AFF in april.... Movin to florida next summer then its jump time all the time!! shit yes

that's why the smart choice would be to start in spring! :P
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Why don't you?

Its not fun and I have enough jumps that I don't want to be miserable just to add a number to a logbook.

What he said;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

When I was young and foolish, I did too many winter jumps - freezing my hands and feet too many times - and the doctor trhreatened to start amputating toes and fingers if I froze them too many more times.
Hint: I wore rucksack, rifle and snowshoes for my first military jump. I could not PLF because I landed in thigh deep snow.

Hint: I wore rucksack, rifle and snowshoes for my first military jump. I could not PLF because I landed in thigh deep snow.

that's another REALLY funny comment i've read today; you were kinda fucked, werent you!?

:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda