npgraphicdesign

Rig on shoulder or rig in gear bag?

No shit...! Now they'd probably accuse you of being disruptive, get you kicked off the flight and probably try to charge you with something.

Airport/airline customer service has done a complete 180 from 15+ years ago. :(

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

>>I was only asked to show my USPA card
That's all kinds of wrong. Suppose it's my B.A.S.E. rig and I don't have a USPA card. Are you saying sport parachutists can't fly in the U.S. if they don't belong to the USPA? And is USPA now screening their new members for terrorist tendencies?

I got asked for my "orders" once by a supervisor at OAK.:S I had to explain that I did this for fun and I was under no orders.

Seriously though, I thought all you needed was the AAD card since those gizmos contain a small amount of explosive substance.

You don't even *need* that but it can be a helpful explanatory tool if you do get questions about the AAD.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not once when flying with a BASE rig have they ever swabbed them...and one of those containers has skulls embroidered on it.

They can't see the skulls through the scanner. What they can see is the reserve ripcord and handle, all the cable housings and reserve PC spring and possible AAD on a sport rig, and that's a lot of 'stuff'. A BASE rig, without all that 'stuff' must be below suspicion.

Last time I traveled within the US, I took my rig with me into the airplane, and didn't really get hassled for it. I was only asked to show my USPA card (because apparently the TSA supervisor has seen a few parachutes in his day :P) and on the way back from LA was asked to open the main container. Other than that, no problems.

But after the latest TSA fiasco with the full body scanners, pat downs, etc., who knows what the hell TSA is thinking anymore...I know they are doing their job, but I don't want that to end up in an unpacked main or reserve.

So..do I keep it in a gear bag with all my other equipment, and unpack/take everything out if they want to see it, and delay the line further, or just secure the reserve/cutaway/main handles and just take it on board again sans gear bag like I did before, or do I check it as luggage in a gear bag? :|

Any thoughts appreciated. B|

Out of sight.... out of freaked out paranoid minds.

And no way is it getting checked with creepy little hands wishing to open everything in sight and futz with handles..

Put it in a normal carryon... there is no way in hell I want to scare one of the wee little frightened sheep by looking them directly in the eye and saying " What... you did not get yours at the ticket counter???"

Hey it used to be fun... nowadays.... again... OUT of sight.

"What... you did not get yours at the ticket counter???"

Hey it used to be fun... nowadays.... again... OUT of sight.

I said ~ "Yeah it's a parachute, what kind did they give you?"

...to a little old lady that then went upstream against the boarding passengers, and raised hell at the ticket counter because she didn't get one.

I was taken into the Jetway and 'counseled' regarding my sense of humor. :$

SO........I use to carry mine in the gear bag provided by the manufacturer, who is a sponsor, so the team name, the manufactures name, my name....all kinds of stuff is on the bag.

Now it's stuffed in a lightweight duffel, the gear bag itself is rolled up and stuffed in there too. :ph34r:

I did get asked about an AAD once going through LAX...I said I didn't use one.

The TSA guy just smiled and said 'old school huh', at least he knew enough to ask prior to running it through.

Also, at times I travel with several rigs and other gear for doing demos, a word of advise~ if you do ever check your rig to cargo, it goes through an X-ray...you want to wait there while they do that in case there are any questions. They may either go through it themselves or page you. You want to be there to assist and keep handles from getting pulled. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I carry every single thing I need to skydive:

Rig
2 Wingsuits
Altimeter, Goggles, sometimes float gear (depending where I'm going... don't try to carry on the CO2 cartridge)
Logbook
Camera Helmet (not EVER letting my self-built CCM get checked :))
2 Cameras
Laptop

It is pretty damn complicated to make all of this fit in a roller and a backpack... but it's possible. ;-) I have enough room left over for mp3 player, good headphones, and a book or two and some food.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I carry every single thing I need to skydive:

Rig
2 Wingsuits
Altimeter, Goggles, sometimes float gear (depending where I'm going... don't try to carry on the CO2 cartridge)
Logbook
Camera Helmet (not EVER letting my self-built CCM get checked :))
2 Cameras
Laptop

It is pretty damn complicated to make all of this fit in a roller and a backpack... but it's possible. ;-) I have enough room left over for mp3 player, good headphones, and a book or two and some food.

you forgot the beer :P
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

If your carrying your rig exposed over your shoulder, you might as well wear your helmet and goggles too, along with your t-shirt that say's "Im a Skydiver, Wanna touch me?" :S:D

My thoughts exactly! Why draw more attention to yourself? A.) Don't feel like answering all the questions from people. B.) I want to avoid giving security any reason to stop me through security. First few times I traveled in college with my rig I didn't have the extra suitcase to put the rig in. Now I have the extra bag and I've found that I've had less issues through security when it's in a bag and not begging for questions. Plus it just keeps it tidy and safe.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

contain a small amount of explosive substance.

It's not an explosive, it's a pyrotechnic cutter. ;)

Never, never, never say "explosive" at the airport. Last time I flew, a guy who was with me insisted to let security/customs officer know that he has small explosive charge in his rig...

That made small scale incident and made delay of our flight. In the process, security officer, who did not know anything about AADs, called his buddy in army parachute regiment to ask "Whuffo is Vigil?" His buddy said he knows only "`bout Cypres" so this must be some kind of a devious plot to bring the plane down... I don`t know how they let him through in the end. He had his AAD card.

OTOH, I kept my mouth shut. Went just fine.
dudeist skydiver #42

...security/customs officer...

I use Global Entry at customs, it takes 15 seconds and no questions...wish they had something like that for domestic travel!

Somehow I thing I`m not eligible for that [:/]

OTOH, I kept my mouth shut. Went just fine.

Yep. Only volunteer information when asked. That's why I much prefer using a bag over the rig. Sometimes, it goes through without them asking anything about it.

Also, just acting plain dumb sometimes does the job. :S
dudeist skydiver #42

I made a big stash bag for my BASE rig and now use it when travelling with my skydiving gear also. It is much better than carrying the rig exposed, weights nothing and can be squeezed and reorganized to fit inside cabin luggage compartment. You can buy one pretty cheap from one of the BASE manufacturers or have your rigger (or yourself) to make one. Here are a couple of pictures of mine (I took the shoulder straps from my worn Apex stash). The main advantage of making it custom is to adjust it to the size and volume of your gear. I’ll make another one this weekend and probably add pockets on the outside.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Welp, this thread made me at least make sure to use a gear bag to avoid trouble. Also, no AAD should hopefully help. Tomorrow will be my first time flying with a rig out of Phoenix and into San Jose, CA.

I'm hoping Phoenix is a little easier than some other airports with all the visitors coming through to Eloy... but we'll see.

Wish me the best and see you soon, Lodi! :p

Anybody know if the recent incident in TX where a man that somehow managed to board and bring a loaded gun onto a plane would hinder skydivers bringing their rig WITH an AAD?

Traveling to TX next week to escape the cold and jump ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I'm hoping Phoenix is a little easier than some other airports with all the visitors coming through to Eloy...

Actually - Phoenix/Sky Harbor is one of the few airports I have ever really had ANY difficulties with my rig(s). Just FWIW.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

welp, that was easier than I expected. I both checked a firearm AND carried a rig (in a gear bag, without an AAD) on with me and no problems.

They didn't even slow down the xray conveyor belt to look at it twice... let's hope it's always that easy!

They didn't even slow down the xray conveyor belt to look at it twice... let's hope it's always that easy!

It's not, but it's rarely very difficult. Most common scenario I find is that they'll take it out to swab it and you can go about your day with a 2-minute delay.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's not, but it's rarely very difficult. Most common scenario I find is that they'll take it out to swab it and you can go about your day with a 2-minute delay.

...unless of course you happen to be a demo jumper that uses pyrotechnics in the act, and the residue is all over the rig! :$

Then it's more like a 2 minute drill... in tie game... at the Superbowl! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~