Jon17

First purchase- What to buy?

Hey guys! I've looked around these forums a lot for different things, and have learened a lot from the experience of those better than me ;) But I decided it was finally time to make an account and get active myself. I have a few different questions, and hopefully you guys can help.

The first is this. I skydived at what I would consider a professional dropzone, where I did my first 21 jumps over the span of about 5 months. Graduated from AFF and was on the way to m A license, when I moved to a new state. Where I live now there is a dropzone only an hour away, and I have done 30 more jumps here. so now here I am, at a combined total of 51 jumps, and I STILL dont have an A license. The dropzone I'm at now keeps putting it off, If i hadnt watched videos on how to pack a parachute I wouldn't even know how to do that. I don't want to mention any names, but I'm assuming this isnt common practice everywhere. So, in January, I'll be moving again to Louisiana, and I'm hoping to find a more professional dropzone there. I know I'm rambling a lot, but this is my question...If i take my logbook of 51 jumps, and jump with those guys in Louisiana a few times, will I have any problem getting my A license or even B license, if my skill level matches up to my number of jumps?

And my second question is this- I'm about to buy my first gear, peice by peice...I'm assuming i should start with a jumpsuit, altimeter, and helmet. But I dont want to buy something I will just be throwing away to upgrade in the near future, so any suggestions on good first gear? Thanks a lot guys!

You're going to find that there is going to be a LOT of people telling you to both talk to your instructors, and update your profile.

That said, when it comes to buying gear, do you want to buy new? Used? What is your exit weight? What kind of budget do you have? These are questions that need to be addressed first before anyone will even give you a hint of advice.

About the DZ that keeps "putting off" your license requirements.... You may or may not know that becoming a licensed skydiver is YOUR responsibility. That said, if you've asked instructors to go with you to get your A requirements signed off and they say NO (even when you'll pay them), then the people at that dz are at fault and hindering your progress. OTOH, if you ask and they want to be paid and YOU say no, then it's your fault. Either way, I find it hard to believe that the majority of instructors would deny you the opportunity to get your A.
Muff #5048

.If i take my logbook of 51 jumps, and jump with those guys in Louisiana a few times, will I have any problem getting my A license or even B license, if my skill level matches up to my number of jumps?

Skill level and jump numbers can vary a great deal.. What you need to get your licenses is to meet the criteria set for each license. Can you track in a straight line? Are you accurate enough in your landings, etc?

The first thing I bought was a used rig, but that's only because there was a good match for me available at my dz when I was finishing my A. You're going to need that and all the things you mention equally as much. I picked up a used alti, audible, and helmet as they became available and when they were suited to my needs..... I waited to buy a new jumpsuit until I knew that I was going to focus on RW...

What's appropriate for you will vary depending on circumstances. Does the dz you are going to have rental gear, altimeters, helmets, etc that you can borrow while you figure out what you want? Can you afford to buy all new stuff if suitable used gear isn't available?

Too many variables to really give a good answer other than ask someone you trust and who understands your skill level and goals.
Owned by Remi #?

Do you have the A-License progression card?

Is it filled out?

Can you do all the things that are required for an A-License?

The new DZ may require you to demonstrate everything necessary for the A. If you have decent skills you could probably do it in a fairly small number of jumps.

First stuff?

A good logbook if you don't already have one.

A good altimiter. I prefer a mechanical analog on my wrist, but that's purely a personal choice. The electronic, digital ones (some have jump logging capability) are nice, but spendy.

A good helmet. "Good" doesn't have to mean expensive. The Benny and the Pro-Tec provide beter protection than the more expensive ones, but don't look as cool.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

*edit: damn where'd all these replies come from LOL ...

I do not understand how/why your current DZ is putting off on your A license? I started working on filling out my A license proficiency card as soon as I got off AFF.

Print out the A license Proficiency Card from the downloaded online version of the SIM or if you have an actual copy of the SIM, get it from there and try to find a certifying USPA Instructor or a Coach who will help you chk off the requirements.

With regards to buying gear, you cant go wrong with getting the basic Altimaster Galaxy altimeter (or even the Neptune 2) and either a full cut Protec (or Skysystems Benny) helmet, will be useful to you your entire skydiving career (or the life of the gear).

As for getting a jumpsuit, I believe that depends on your budget, as to which one you want to get FIRST because over the period of your skydiving career you'll probably accumulate various diff types of suits but I have been told that a basic belly flying suit is a good first investment. If you are tight on funds look around your DZ you might be able to get a interim used jumpsuit that will work for you on the cheap. You might also get lucky finding a similar size jumpsuit in the classified section here. If you plan on getting a brand new jumpsuit, be sure to have some one who knows what they are doing to take down your measurements for you, or simply ask a friendly experienced jumper/instructor at your DZ to help you out with that.
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

I do not understand how/why your current DZ is putting off on your A license? I started working on filling out my A license proficiency card as soon as I got off AFF.

Because some large/busy DZ's do not give a shit if you ever get your A or not. Why should they? No one should expect that anyone is ever going to hunt them down and tell you to do this and this and this.

Take the initiative, figure out what you need signed off on, and make sure someone is watching from the ground who has the credentials to sign off on it. A lot of it that you don't get signed off on during your AFF jumps, can be witnessed from the ground. There are only a few items on the card that require a coached jump between graduation of AFF and obtaining your A license.

If you're saying that the dz staff is just not willing to help you after you've asked, take your money elsewhere.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

...wow. you guys are serious eh? That didn't take long at all...haha, good stuff. As for the beer, I just turned 19, but I've bought my fair share of coca-colas...Maybe thats why I'm having such a problem with everything. No beer- No help! Ha. But as for my A license, I got nearly everything checked off, with the exception of some of the things that pertained only to airport landings, since there was no airport at my DZ. But since my move, I havent gotten anything checked off. The DZ im at now literally has a DZO and a very few skydivers, always the same crowd...There open 2 days a week, and close down some weekends if they dont feel like working. Needless to say, I need to get out...so my answer for the A license i guess is move to louisiana and get in with some guys there.

Im 6"1 and weigh 160...so I fall slow. Apparentley really slow...and I guess I have more questions on my jumpsuit purchase than anything else. I don't have a coach or anyone really who knows my status/skill level, since my only help and the guys that DID coach me are at my old DZ. maybe I could call those guys up and see what they have to say...But with my jumpsuit, I want to buy new. and I want to get into RW. So, I'm guessing I'll need a tight fitting jumpsuit, but whats the deal with booties. I've obviously never jumped them before, but would they slow me down? should I even worry with getting them? or in a few months will I be wishing I had them?

Thanks for the help guys...and I guess I better get to updating my profile pretty quick :)

p.s.

but whats the deal with booties. I've obviously never jumped them before, but would they slow me down? should I even worry with getting them? or in a few months will I be wishing I had them?

If you want to focus on RW, get booties. If they freak you out, tuck them in and go without for a couple dozen jumps... Then try again.

You can subtract booties from a jumpsuit that has them with little effort. It's a lot harder to add them to one that doesn't.
Owned by Remi #?

wow that is crazy im ready to drop all of my money and time on getting my A and the last thing on my mind is the DZ not working with me and not wanting me to progress towards my A.... hmmmm maybe i should take this into consideration. i would say if you can perform the skills on the card and they will not sign you off... get a new DZ
Some people say "The sky is the limit" .... those people must not skydive..

Yeaa, I don't want to discourage anyone from getting into the sport- definately dont regret any of it...And the dropzone I was at before was all about getting my A. They coached me on every single jump, marked off things on my proficiency card...they would talk to me for hours about a single jump, things I could improve, what gear i should buy...everything. So it's not everywhere, and I wouldn't even think its that common. I've actually never talked to anyone that had any problems even similiar to mine. I guess at this DZ the few guys (sometimes less than a few) that could help me out are just too busy. It happens...

Sometimes the closest DZ to where you are isn't the best one for your needs. In this case, I'd have filled-out A and B license cards, and make sure that you stay current until you move to Louisiana, so that you don't have to do a recurrency jump.

If you're somewhere where there is winter jumping, you might want to try the dropzone menu at dz.com to find another one that's within driving distance. It really sounds like your closest one is basically a club that tolerates you.

I wouldn't buy any significant gear before moving, simply because you probably don't have anyone at your current DZ who can advise you well and check it over -- if you did, they'd be filling out your license card.

A jumpsuit, altimeter, helmet and goggles would be fine, but get a used jumpsuit -- your first jumpsuit is nearly always a trial-and-error item. Buy by size (i.e. someone who matches your height, weight and shoe size if it has booties reasonably well) and not color.

Good luck. And if it begins to look like you're not going to move as soon as you thought, then consider traveling to get your A (and B) licenses, and then you can keep jumping at the close DZ.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Because some large/busy DZ's do not give a shit if you ever get your A or not. Why should they? No one should expect that anyone is ever going to hunt them down and tell you to do this and this and this.

Take the initiative, figure out what you need signed off on, and make sure someone is watching from the ground who has the credentials to sign off on it. A lot of it that you don't get signed off on during your AFF jumps, can be witnessed from the ground. There are only a few items on the card that require a coached jump between graduation of AFF and obtaining your A license.

If you're saying that the dz staff is just not willing to help you after you've asked, take your money elsewhere.

I think something was lost in translation ... I was wondering how the DZ can put it off when the onus is on the jumper (unless you paid for the A license package, then they'll hold your hand the entire way)... I know alot off the instructors and jumpers helped me out but I was the one approaching any and everyone, from the pilot to the instructors, the packers, to other experienced jumpers, whoever could help me get anything completed on my A card.

Sometimes the closest DZ to where you are isn't the best one for your needs. In this case, I'd have filled-out A and B license cards, and make sure that you stay current until you move to Louisiana, so that you don't have to do a recurrency jump.

Wendy P.

+ if you have both the A and B license cards filled out, you'll only have to pay USPA for the B license and not for both ... :D
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

No you are a required to buy beer after your first hop n pop and cutaway. or some other significant first. a rig does not constitute that
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

I call male bovine fecal matter.

it's a skydiving thing, he puts out false information on purpose to see who'll bite - funny threads have resulted

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

While you should get a license... It could be that the DZ you are at does not care since you are jumping enough to stay current. There is very little reason to get a license other than it takes longer to be required to make a recurrency jump (not an issue if you are jumping a lot) and when you go to a new DZ they assume you have a certain level of proficiency.

I went all the way from first jump to 'C' license... Skipped A and B.

But since the 'A' is now free... There is little reason to skip it.

As for gear.... Depends on the DZ you are at. If the DZ does not charge you to borrow an alti, helmet, jumpsuit...etc. Then save up and buy a rig. If they charge for all of it... I'd get a jumpsuit first since it is a personal fit item.

Posting where you are can help others help you.... For example if you were near me, I could offer to do your eval dive for just the cost of your jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334