nigel99

USA Jump holiday from UK - legal questions

Hi All,

I intend to go to the USA to do AFF and become current and I am trying to research the legal aspects so that I have all my ducks in a row.

Firstly I am not a member of the BPA and don't intend to become a member prior to becoming licensed. I realise this is touches on some grim aspects of the sport but I need to consider my options.

1) travel insurance covering injury any recommendations? I got "caught" on a snowboarding holiday when the insurance clause required minimal treatment so I had my arm in a temporary cast until I returned to the UK.

2) In the event of accidental death does anyone know the procedures and how it all works? I know that it is a remote possibility but my wife would be with me and she is hopeless under stress. I would want to have documented instructions/procedures laid out and ideally any insurance policies that can help with the legal and other aspects of accidental death.

Any other legal aspects to be considered?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I think a lot of people worry too much about the insurance thing. If you get hurt, you will get the best care going and when you get home, they will send you bills which you can choose to pay or not to pay.

Since you live in a different country, they cannot collect and no, it does not affect you ever getting back into the country again.

Having said all that - there is insurance out there to cover you, shop around.

A temporary USPA membership will get you $50K of third party liability and property damage, and that is a good buy as well, probably required by the DZ you go to anyway

I am totally unsure how this transfers from UK-US so please ignore if irrelevant or ask an attorney, but in regard to your wife and your wishes, etc. I would advise

1) Bringing copies of your documents- power of attorney for healthcare, DNR if applicable, living will, last will and testament, all your estate planning stuff, basically- they can't follow your wishes if they don't have them- I assume your wife would have authority to make medical decisions if you could not, but if she doesn't do well under stress it may be best if you have these documents to bring them, both to acknowledge legally that she is your wife and you appoint her to make those decisions, and also to guide her in making the decisions you would want made (I have no idea if I was being overly paranoid, but when I went on a jump trip to CA from the midwest, I did bring all these documents)

2) Don't just rely on the emergency contact number listed on a waiver that you'll likely sign at the DZ here in the US- type something up to leave with someone you trust in the UK with contact info and details for folks here and there, and then type something up with the relevant info and contacts, the policy numbers and companies for any insurance coverages, etc. and put it on file at the office and leave a copy with your wife, and maybe one in your jumpsuit pocket?

Just throwing ideas out there, maybe overkill, and I realize it is logistically very different internationally, but my feeling is, the more documentation and instructions, the better, and the more contacts, even if not on sit.. Esp. if you don't think your wife could handle an emergency or accident well, it will be useful if needed, god forbid.

Enjoy your jump trip and best of luck, and maybe post up your findings and what worked on here for others in your shoes..

Blue ones.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Thanks for all the replies.

I realise that the death aspect is pretty grim and I have also jumped enough (but too long ago to count) to realise that my chances of going in as an AFF student are very small but are still a possibility.

1) Bringing copies of your documents- power of attorney for healthcare, DNR if applicable, living will, last will and testament, all your estate planning stuff, basically- they can't follow your wishes if they don't have them- I assume your wife would have authority to make medical decisions if you could not, but if she doesn't do well under stress it may be best if you have these documents to bring them, both to acknowledge legally that she is your wife and you appoint her to make those decisions, and also to guide her in making the decisions you would want made (I have no idea if I was being overly paranoid, but when I went on a jump trip to CA from the midwest, I did bring all these documents)

I don't think this is paranoid - the only persons time wasted by preparing and carrying this stuff is your own - unless it is needed. If it IS needed chances are that you have screwed up and caused a number of people a serious headache so it is a chance to help them in a small way!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Personally I would not put any more time into preparing for 'death by skydiving' versus 'death by getting drunk and drowning in swimming pool' or 'death by whatever'

DNR? really? From your post, I thought you were going on vacation.....

Haha yes it's a bit morbid.. I guess I should qualify (while not the OP, I did expand on those topics) that I prepared those things before becoming a parent (while pregnant) and before I ever made a skydive. For me it was just a matter of bringing my already prepared estate planning documents with me when traveling, which I'd probably do traveling even if I wasn't planning on jumping-- but some would find that ridiculous too and I respect either approach- I figure, make your documents, plan for eventualities, get your insurance-- and then forget about it and have fun!!!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Hi All,

I intend to go to the USA to do AFF and become current and I am trying to research the legal aspects so that I have all my ducks in a row.

Firstly I am not a member of the BPA and don't intend to become a member prior to becoming licensed. I realise this is touches on some grim aspects of the sport but I need to consider my options.

1) travel insurance covering injury any recommendations? I got "caught" on a snowboarding holiday when the insurance clause required minimal treatment so I had my arm in a temporary cast until I returned to the UK.

2) In the event of accidental death does anyone know the procedures and how it all works? I know that it is a remote possibility but my wife would be with me and she is hopeless under stress. I would want to have documented instructions/procedures laid out and ideally any insurance policies that can help with the legal and other aspects of accidental death.

Any other legal aspects to be considered?

dont freak out about it, its just a skydive.;););)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."