PhreeZone

Letter from the tandem manufactors over underage tandems

Seeing with all the bullshit litigation, the manufacturers just have to have multipule companies and shuffle the plant and assets around so the legal action cannot effect their productionn.

It doesn't work that way and the fact that you think it does shows how little you understand (despite your claims) about the U.S. legal system.

When you ignore common sense and let stupidity and greed prevail, you end up with a good old clusterfuck.

Yeah like when your greed for tandem jumping dollars is so great that you ignore common sense and take a 10 year old up skydiving.

If you don't see any problems with underage skydiving, why not a 2-year old...or an infant? As long as the parent says it's alright it's apparently fine by you....

You seem to ignore that we are dealing with 2 different arguments here:

a) The tandem manufacturers are placed at substantial risk REGARDLESS of any licensing they may perform. The tandem manufacturers are the entities that facilitate tandem skydiving. Without the rig manufacturers it could not exist. With any product there is an assumed warranty. With products such as tandem rigs, scuba rigs, etc that warranty (for better or worse) can extend to the actions of those utilizing that gear (particularly for commercial purposes). The same thing exists with other entities in the skydiving world. For instance, a wingsuit manufacturer could be held liable for selling an advanced wingsuit to someone without any skydiving experience.

b) you apparently seem intent to ignore ANY possible moral questions WHATSOEVER regarding underage skydiving. What if that 10-year old had died tandeming? When any skydiver goes in it's bad...had a 10-year old gone it it would have been an utter tragedy. Those of us making this emotional plea cannot fathom your lack of concern for the well-being of the child. Do you honestly believe that the 10-year-old had a rational ability to accurately gauge the potential risks in skydiving and make a decision to jump nonetheless. No. It looked fun, his parents apparently said he could do it, so he did it.

Gee I feel fortunate to live in a relatively sane country, this shit is off the hook.

Insanity is throwing 10-year-old kids out of airplanes....I am glad my country IS sane.

In closing I would like to repeat a point that NOBODY has refuted...There is no reason a healthy child cannot wait a few years to skydive. End of story. Impatience kills.

Flying in airliners, driving automobiles, mountain bikes, skateboards, canoes, motor boats, skis and any similar activity has certain uncertainties that can result in permanent injury or death. They have done and will continue to do so also, people will continue using them without thought as well.

First, almost all of the activities mentioned above have faced multiple lawsuits from minors who were injured during operation. In a court of law minors are treated very differently and as a result those defendants were placed at a greater disadvantage than if they were being tried for the injury of an adult.

Perhaps more importantly, the are two big differences between those activities and Tandem skydiving, which those benefiting from tandem jumping best be aware of or risk losing the right to tandem...

a) Skydiving entities have no insurance whatsoever. The manufacturer/operators of airliners/cars/boats etc all have very good insurers with even better lawyers. They can afford to settle the cases they deem un-winnable and litigate the hell out of the ones they think they can win. In contrast as there are only a few tandem rig manufacturers, none of which have insurance, a few lawsuits could effectively end the entire tandem industry. Perhaps if there are no lawsuits for a significant period of time then in time insurance companies will see the benefits of insuring tandem manufacturers. However, an instant way to lose a lawsuit (at least in the U.S.) is to injure a minor. There is no way for a minor or their representatives to waive their rights away, so if you so much as scratch that 10-year-old here in the U.S., he can sue you and the manufacturer. Would you want to be known as the TI that ended tandem jumping world wide?

b) Tandem jumping is a new sport. I once spoke to a park ranger about why BASE jumping with a permit wasn't legal but rock climbing without one was legal, and his response was...time. He said if rock climbing were evolving right now as a brand new sport the park service would likely be regulating the hell out of it and preventing it. The same goes for a lot of the activities which we currently enjoy. They are all "grandfathered" in. Tandem jumping is afforded no such luxury as it is relatively new in the pantheon of activities. In time tandem skydiving will be established and perhaps the boundaries will be expanded as the morays and values of our society evolve and change. However, as our society currently exists, tandem jumping is not receptive to underage jumping...as the manufacturers themselves have clearly stated.

-Sammy

Well guys, I guess common sense has nothing to do with it.

So not much point in carrying on.

Seeing with all the bullshit litigation, the manufacturers just have to have multipule companies and shuffle the plant and assets around so the legal action cannot effect their productionn.

Gee I feel fortunate to live in a relatively sane country, this shit is off the hook.

When you ignore common sense and let stupidity and greed prevail, you end up with a good old clusterfuck.

So back to business;

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklohomo where the wind come sweeping down the plains.....:D

Earlier in the thread there were value judgments being tossed about regarding the NZ system and standards, etc.

At that time, you protested loudly that your system was as valid as any, and that things can be done differently in different places.

But now, it is you tossing about the value judgments, ignoring that it is perfectly valid for the systems to be different.

Things are they way they are for reasons. The reasons in the USA are different from the reasons in NZ, and led to different systems.

Your system is no more or less sane than ours. Both have their strong points and weak points.

Without prejudice, let's all just agree that different places have different systems, and leave it at that.

Neither system is best. Neither is really better than the other. They are just different.

I won't claim that we do it right and you do it wrong. It would be nice if you would do the same.

I've made it crystal clear in this thread that I've been mainly referring not to legalities, but to the developmental maturity (or lack of it) of children, irrespective of legalities. For fuck's sake, improve your reading comprehension beyond that of a tantrum-throwing child. I'm terribly sorry that taking gullible young children out of the skydiving carnival ride mix might cut your income a bit. Tough shit. I'm sure you can always offset the loss by selling nanothermite futures.

You;ve also said you're lawyer which gives you licence (i guess) to talk about legalities -- but don't give any reason why your assessments of risk or of maturity of children during development should be considered the bottom line in this argument.

Maybe this is just between the US and the rest of the world....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Maybe he means he believes that way is the best way.
His opinion is just as valid as yours, eh?

If you are spending all this time and energy trying to convince people to come around to your way of thinking, it's not gonna happen.

In this debate, isn't it enough to be happy with what you do as opposed to worrying so much about what others do?

I don't think Rhys is the one at odds with the rest of the world.

Seems underage jumping is no big deal in just about any country other than the US world-wide. It's common in Ontario, Canada and even more so in Quebec -- I've seen all sorts of pictures from Europe, South Africa, Australia, etc. and I know of Chinese and Russian athletes being trained while minors. It's been done in S America.

Even some of the very recognized USPA board members have family members that participate(d) regularly in the sport while minors (leading the interesting situations of people serving on the board of uspa while running non-affiliated dz's)

And I personally applaud that.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Well guys, I guess common sense has nothing to do with it.

You're right and I couldn't agree with you more.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've read through this entire thread and there have been a lot of interesting and valid points brought up.

At it's core though, the above letter and this issue here is simply about the tandem waiver, a legal contract. The tandem waiver signed by the participant is the best form of protection afforded to the equipment manufacturers, and unless the person signing it has the legal authority to do so, it cannot serve the sole purpose that it is intended to, to release the manufacturer of the equipment from the liability of it's use.

Removing manufacturer's from the rating process will not remove them or reduce their likelyhood of being named in a lawsuit. As long as their name appears on the equipment being used, they will be subject to liability and the potential of being named in a lawsuit. A legally binding tandem waiver (meaning signed by someone with the legal right to execute the contract) is the only really viable defense that is afforded the manufacturers in getting them dropped from the suit after being named in it. Precedence is out there, it works.

Here's a manufacturer liability example that is in the public realm already and bears on the topic:

Some time in the 1990s? There was a tandem incident where a Tandem Instructor rated on one system decided to take a girl on a tandem system manufactured by another company. He had no training on that system whatsoever, but jumped it anyways. It's reasonable to assume he knew of the rating requirement of the other system as he had gone through a rating process with another manufacturer, yet jumped this other gear anyways.

The girl gets killed on the jump and a lawsuit entails. The manufacturer of the tandem system was named in the lawsuit, despite having no part in the tandem instructors training and to the contrary could prove beyond a reason of a doubt the instructor was not endorsed to use that equipment.

None of that mattered in court, there was no waiver signed for the equipment being used, and the manufacturer paid for it DEARLY. Despite having done nothing wrong and playing no part in the jump.

Their name was on the equipment. That was all it took.

So......as I said at the start of my post, there have been alot of interesting and valid points brought up in this thread, but at the heart of this issue, it was and remains about the waiver.

The ability of a person making a tandem jump to be able to execute a legally binding contract that protects the people that manufacture the equipment.

(All of the above is my own person opinion, I don't speak on behalf of any of the manufacturers. Since the letter was only addressed to US based organizations and offices, I am only addressing this as a US based issue.)
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

It doesn't work that way and the fact that you think it does shows how little you understand (despite your claims) about the U.S. legal system.

I have never claimed to understand the US legal system, what I do understand is common sense.

Tony and Pops pointed out clearly that common sense does not prevail in the US legal system, I am not used to that. I am used to common sense.

So my input to the conversation ends around here.

I'll leave you guys to your clusterfuck that you call freedom and liberty.

Yeah like when your greed for tandem jumping dollars is so great that you ignore common sense and take a 10 year old up skydiving.

Just like the greedy theme parks like disneyland, gee how dare they endanger all those innocent children that don't have a clue about physics and engineering...

If you don't see any problems with underage skydiving, why not a 2-year old...or an infant? As long as the parent says it's alright it's apparently fine by you....

As long as they fit the harness (that is the rules here), the 10 year old I took the other day was pretty close my limit.

a) The tandem manufacturers are placed at substantial risk REGARDLESS of any licensing they may perform. The tandem manufacturers are the entities that facilitate tandem skydiving. Without the rig manufacturers it could not exist. With any product there is an assumed warranty. With products such as tandem rigs, scuba rigs, etc that warranty (for better or worse) can extend to the actions of those utilizing that gear (particularly for commercial purposes). The same thing exists with other entities in the skydiving world. For instance, a wingsuit manufacturer could be held liable for selling an advanced wingsuit to someone without any skydiving experience.

I really do not want to debate about this anymore, but...

If a wingsuit manufacturer sells a wingsuit to an inexperinced jumper, there will still have to be a S&TA or some sort of supervision to allow the person to use the wingsuit.
If they do not go through a S&TA or have any sort of supervision then they are breaking the rules and will not have an argument. And the DZ in question is breaking the rules and deserved to be sued, simple.

That is how it work here in my country, that makes sense. It is common sense.

Blaming a manufacturer for improper use of a product when there are clearly rules in place to make sure all people using the product are deemed experienced enough and/or rated to do so, is not sensible.

But we have established that the US laws are not sensible, so....

I'll leave you to your clusterfuck you call freedom and liberty.

b) you apparently seem intent to ignore ANY possible moral questions WHATSOEVER regarding underage skydiving. What if that 10-year old had died tandeming? When any skydiver goes in it's bad...had a 10-year old gone it it would have been an utter tragedy. Those of us making this emotional plea cannot fathom your lack of concern for the well-being of the child. Do you honestly believe that the 10-year-old had a rational ability to accurately gauge the potential risks in skydiving and make a decision to jump nonetheless. No. It looked fun, his parents apparently said he could do it, so he did it.

When common sense and justice are removed from a society, that is a tragedy. When fear is installed instead of love, that is a tragedy. And when people are not allowed to do things thay would like to do and is within the law, that is a tragedy.

The parents wanted the child to jump, the child wanted to jump, the child had fun, the child recommended it to the rest of his family on video and wanted to go again...

Would you take a child on a roller coaster? Drive them on the freeway?

Dont get me wrong, a child dying is always a tragedy, but it is less of a trgedy if they were doing something they wanted to do and were killed by a mistake that could have happened to any person of any age.

What is more of a tragedy is a child being killed by a bullet.

There are plenty of childern being killed by bullets and bombs (among other things) on a daily basis with your tax money, and those are largely ignored, so dont come to me with your moral high ground.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but that is a very valid point, the conduct of the US legal system is increasingly criminal, yet you are trying to belittle me for following the rules that pertain to me and going about my business, just because 'you feel' I am braking some morals that you think are paramount.

Well think again buddy, you pay for the deaths of many children, that is a tragedy. Like it or not, it is the truth.

Shame on you.
I will stick to my common sense and leave you with your clusterfuck.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Here's a manufacturer liability example that is in the public realm already and bears on the topic:

Some time in the 1990s? There was a tandem incident where a Tandem Instructor rated on one system decided to take a girl on a tandem system manufactured by another company. He had no training on that system whatsoever, but jumped it anyways. It's reasonable to assume he knew of the rating requirement of the other system as he had gone through a rating process with another manufacturer, yet jumped this other gear anyways.

The girl gets killed on the jump and a lawsuit entails. The manufacturer of the tandem system was named in the lawsuit, despite having no part in the tandem instructors training and to the contrary could prove beyond a reason of a doubt the instructor was not endorsed to use that equipment.

None of that mattered in court, there was no waiver signed for the equipment being used, and the manufacturer paid for it DEARLY. Despite having done nothing wrong and playing no part in the jump.

gee, what an injustice.

I would pack up an move to a different country is i was a US based manufacturer, the liability in that case is just too much. It is just not reasonable to assume that nobody will ever make a mistake again. If that mistake can be blamed on the manufacturer even if it is not their fault then it is only reasonable to assume that it is only a matter of time before another lawsuit such as that is begun.

Good luck and peace everyone.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

a) Skydiving entities have no insurance whatsoever. The manufacturer/operators of airliners/cars/boats etc all have very good insurers with even better lawyers. They can afford to settle the cases they deem un-winnable and litigate the hell out of the ones they think they can win.

I take it you are taling about the USA?

My skydiving company (here in NZ) has liabilty insurance, just paid the premium the other day.

Shame on you.
I will stick to my common sense and leave you with your clusterfuck.

Does that also mean that you'll be discontinuing use of all US-manufactured gear (including tandem systems), gear developed from US-innovated patents (including 3-ring releases), US developed aircraft (like C-185's), and the like? Does that mean that you're planning to ignore all of the experience you gained while working as a skydiver in the US and all of the training methods developed in the US? If so, you may need to make some significant operational changes to your fledgling DZ.

If not, you may not want to opt out of the cluster just yet. Like it or not, US laws (and even ethics) will continue to impact you if you continue to use these products.

We all have a lot to learn from each other, so why not relax and enjoy the process a little bit, eh? Best of luck with your DZ start-up, that's a pretty big undertaking for anyone.

Lance

Does that also mean that you'll be discontinuing use of all US-manufactured gear (including tandem systems), gear developed from US-innovated patents (including 3-ring releases), US developed aircraft (like C-185's), and the like? Does that mean that you're planning to ignore all of the experience you gained while working as a skydiver in the US and all of the training methods developed in the US? If so, you may need to make some significant operational changes to your fledgling DZ.

If not, you may not want to opt out of the cluster just yet. Like it or not, US laws (and even ethics) will continue to impact you if you continue to use these products.

This is not a one world government.... yet.

So we still have the luxury of different laws and regulations to the USA, at present.

I will play things by ear.

I am not quite sure where you were going with that. Are you saying you beleive I could be dragged through a litigation with the manufacturer from here in NZ, or are you saying that you think I am ignoring what I have learned and that is bad or unwise?

We all have a lot to learn from each other, so why not relax and enjoy the process a little bit, eh? Best of luck with your DZ start-up, that's a pretty big undertaking for anyone.

Lance

Thanks bro, I really appreciate that level of understanding, many people (including myself before) seriously underestimate the process.

Comlience is very important now, so I am thinking about all this. We are comlient with our health and safety regulations and complient with the part 149 we operate under, we are also complient with the law, and even our music is royalty free...

For now taking children skydiving is not against the rules here, so until that changes there is no need to change what we do.

For now taking children skydiving is not against the rules here, so until that changes there is no need to change what we do.

All it takes is one injury (or worse) that results in litigation. Parents get quite defensive of their children. More so when they are hurt by what could be perceived as someone else's negligence - real, implied, perceived, or otherwise.
[:/]

All it takes is one injury (or worse) that results in litigation. Parents get quite defensive of their children. More so when they are hurt by what could be perceived as someone else's negligence - real, implied, perceived, or otherwise.
Unsure

If they sign the form, then unless there is neglegence, I am covered, if I was neglegent, maybe I deserve aq lawsuit...

whats the biggie.

No need to stop doing everything because of fear of something going wrong. Might as well stop doing everything with any risk then...

[reply

If they sign the form, then unless there is neglegence, I am covered, if I was neglegent, maybe I deserve aq lawsuit...

whats the biggie.

No need to stop doing everything because of fear of something going wrong. Might as well stop doing everything with any risk then...

All moral issues aside, what the legal issues we are arguing about are as follows:

In the U.S. a waiver signed by a minor is completely invalid. There is no circumstances whatsoever where a minor or his/her representatives can sign away his/her rights (unless they are legally emancipated in which case they are no longer technically a minor). This was not always the case but cases came before the courts which caused the Courts to change their opinions in this regard.

I have no idea about NZ law in regards to waivers and minors, perhaps as you suggest, a minor my legally sign his/her rights away (I strenuously suggest you make sure, if you have not done so already). However even if the law currently allows a minor to sign a waiver, that still does not mean that will always be the case. While the general public may be accepting of an injury to a 10-year-old injured or killed in day care or some other similarly innocuous activity, the general public (and by extension the Courts) would be FAR less receptive to a fatality involving skydiving. In such a situation you may very well find that your waiver is meaningless, despite any previous laws to the contrary. Laws evolve. Without getting into a moral debate, look at how many skydivers seem to be reacting negatively to even the idea of a 10-year-old skydiving. How do you think the general public and the Courts would react to a real incident? Not favorably. Even were laws in NZ in existence acknowledging the power of minors to sign waivers, a fatality involving a 10-year-old tandem may very well cause a seed change for any such waiver regulations.

Additionally, though it is unlikely, even if a NZ court found your waiver to be legally valid, a U.S. court would not recognize the waiver as valid. This is the main point we have been trying to make and why the U.S. based manufacturers are so deathly afraid of underage tandems anywhere. Yes you may be able to evade financial responsibility in NZ via your waiver, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturers can. If that 10-year-old died, that waiver would be useless in a U.S. court of law, and the manufacturer could be held responsible for your choice to allow a minor to skydive. There would not need to be negligent conduct for the victims to sue the U.S. based manufacturers. Which is why I posed the question earlier...do you want to be the TI that killed tandem skydiving? True, the comment was a bit bombastic, but I believe the point to nonetheless be valid. A single bad lawsuit as a result of a DZ that permits underage tandems ANYWHERE could kill a manufacturer. This is what the manufacturers are deathly afraid of. This is why they went to the trouble and expense to try to get the word out about this issue. There have been many discussions of the ills of the DZ which cater solely to tandems, ie tandem "factories", but regardless the tandem jump has been very beneficial to our sport. Given that there are relatively few manufacturers and they are so afraid of this issue, we would do wise to take their concerns seriously. Personally I consider this more important than a normal safety bulletin from the tandem manufacturers, as normally the safety issues discussed are minor and probably don't threaten but an extremely small percentage of the tandem jumping public (though they too should be heeded). This could potentially end tandem jumping alogether.

Finally, the last thing I wanted to add which has not been discussed, is the negative publicity involved if an accident involving a young minor were to occur. I hope you realize that while taking a 10-year-old makes for a great and heartfelt story when all goes well, quite the opposite would occur should he/she be injured/killed. In addition to the tremendous amount of negative publicity it would generate towards the sport in general, your center would likely be blitzed by many media ppl asking many questions. Whereas a normal tandem fatality, while sad may go unnoticed by the general public, such will likely not be the case if a 10-year-old were to go in.

Though I personally do not believe that most 10-year-olds cannot adequately gauge the consequences of their actions, you certainly can. I hope you realize all of these additional responsibilities you are choosing to incur by allowing pre-pubescent children to skydive.

BTW, despite your rude personal email, I too wish you luck in your fledgling DZ. I know how hard it can be to start a new business and the work, stress, and love which goes into it. Truly...best of luck in that regards. Other than this one issue it sounds like you are trying do everything the best you possibly can...and even in this issue you are willing to have a dialogue...blue skies.

-Sammy

Without getting into a moral debate, look at how many skydivers seem to be reacting negatively to even the idea of a 10-year-old skydiving.

Maybe you should change that to 'how many US skydivers seem to be reacting negatively', since, as I said before, minors skydiving seems to be pretty much accepted, at least unofficially, in pretty much the rest of the world outside the US...

You have a lot of strong feelings in this considering your experience level....

In the U.S. a waiver signed by a minor is completely invalid. There is no circumstances whatsoever where a minor or his/her representatives can sign away his/her rights (unless they are legally emancipated in which case they are no longer technically a minor).

To clarify it is the parent or legal guardian that signs the waiver.

I understand clearly the situation in the united states now, it is sad but it is the reality.

If I was an operator in the US I would not take minors.