twodarhythm

Opinions on gear?

So i've almost got all of my own gear now that I got my rig! :-P I just need a suit (or two) and a helmet! My question is what do you guys recommend for these? I'm pretty sure I want an open face helmet and ive been looking at the bonehead. I figure I need an rw suit and one for freeflying. Im thinking the rw suit will be more practical right now because I can freefly without one. So what are the best suits and helmets?

Well I dont know about any suits yet, but I do have a Cookie Ozone. It is very comfy, has two pockets for audibles and has really good forehead protection.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Gaths are good, you really can't go wrong with a frap because the helmets main purpose is to offer light protection and ear protection
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Gaths are good, you really can't go wrong with a frap because the helmets main purpose is to offer light protection and ear protection

you really can't go wrong with a frap

LOL... such funny stuff... just remember to put one of these :P at the end so everyone one knows its a joke. B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

You really do try hard to come up with idiotic posts.

That combination of self-confidence and cluelessness is hard to beat.

Even from the perspective of someone wanting to cut a newbie some slack, you come up with new howlers.

If you really want to be the class clown, then please just put a few smilies at the end of every post.

The last time I was in a plane crash ... the only experienced jumper wearing a frap hat suffered such debilitating brain injuries that he is confined to a care home for the rest of his life.

That's exactly the reason I made light of his post suggesting a frap hat is good. I figured best to treat his post as if it was a joke.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

You really do try hard to come up with idiotic posts.

That combination of self-confidence and cluelessness is hard to beat.

Even from the perspective of someone wanting to cut a newbie some slack, you come up with new howlers.

If you really want to be the class clown, then please just put a few smilies at the end of every post.

if frap hats are bad, then why aren't they banned?
Should i go tell every old fart i see wearing one to take it off because its a serious safety hazard ?
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

You were serious? Unfuckingbelievable.:(

well technically once you get your A license you are not required to wear any sort of head gear...

My wife said I could get a new BoneHead REvolve (http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/302--the-revolve-helmet.html) helmet as a Christmas present - so I did! Just jumped with it for the first time with yesterday (previously had been using a Benny, http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/benny.php).

The REvolve is interesting in that you can quickly switch it between full-face and open-face - just remove two internal cotter pins that hold the pivots for the face shield. The face shield is nice in that you don't have to muck with goggles - just snap it down when heading out the door and pop it back up again when you're under canopy. Yesterday was my first time jumping a full-face - very quiet and much warmer without the blast of cold air in your face (especially nice in the NW this time of year). :)

If frap hats are bad, then why aren't they banned?
Should i go tell every old fart i see wearing one to take it off because its a serious safety hazard ?

Frap hats are not "bad."
Frap hats are better than nothing.
Frap hats just provide a "legal" minimum of protection. In practice, they do little more than keep your ears warm.
Far better helmets have been invented since frap hats.
Frap hats fell out of fashion long before there was any need to ban them.

As for trying to tell an old fart that his frap hat fell out of fashion ... save your breath!

There was also some debate, depending on the type/style - that the ones with the fairly decently "raised ribs" could possibly even isolate, and therefore "concentrate" (rather than dissipate/distribute to a greater area) impacts to the skull - in that way, at least in some circles and opinions, making them "bad".

I personally do not take a position on that. However, I know it has indeed, at least as such - been debated.

Just FWIW.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Everyone knew that frap hats weren't as good as "real" helmets back when they were cool, too. Anyone who said otherwise was rationalizing.

There's justification for saying that a motorcycle helmet isn't best (it's heavier). But we even made fun of the people who jumped the lighter (and smaller) Cooper SK-100 instead of the considerably heavier SK-2000.

Skydivers are just as likely to rationalize as anyone else :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hell, I wear a frap hat for tandem's.... I like the ear protection from riser slap. I realize that thats about all it really does along with some friction protection.

I'd wear a hard helmet, but hell... I already had a frap hat and think the chances of a hard hit to the noggin doing tandems is reduced enough that I don't feel a need.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ask Steve Reid to show you the scars he acquired when a Strong Tandem riser tried to (HECK! almost succeeded in) ripping his ear off. His frap hat survived.
Especially with hard openings and F-111 canopies, Strong tandem risers can be like iron bars during opening shock. Getting your head squeezed between tandem risers brings tears to the eyes of the most "macho" TIs!
And those huge ladder buckles (3D Rings) can do some serious damage. So I believe that serious TIs wear hard-shell helmets, while bungling amateurs wear frap hats or nothing.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
P.S. If my - bluntly stated - opinion hurt any feelings ... you know where you can shove your feelings ...

And those huge ladder buckles (3D Rings) can do some serious damage. So I believe that serious TIs wear hard-shell helmets, while bungling amateurs wear frap hats or nothing.

I guess I am just a "bungling amateur". Should I surrender my ratings to you, or Ted and Bill?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

if frap hats are bad, then why aren't they banned?

Yup, that's exactly what YOU should do! :ph34r:

I use to use one when traveling because it was easier to pack, but after the realization that I'm usually jumping with people who skills I don't really know... I make room for the Gunner.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~