crage

AFF vs A license in a week

Hello!
I'm a new jumper (3 tandems) and I'm looking to start seriously training later this year. I live in Nashville, and was planning on going to West Tenn Skydiving for my AFF, and then I hear that SDC has an "A license in a week" program, so now I've been thinking about heading up there for a week this summer and getting it all done. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either of these options? I figure it would end up being about the same price, so cost isn't really an issue (just having the money up front for the license in a week instead of paying as I go) I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks!

There are several DZ's that have the License in a week program, some closer to home for you too.

The advantage to a program like that is that your immersed in skydiving all day for the 7 or so days it takes to get your license.

When going back and forth each weekend or every other week you may have to spend more time refreshing from the last jump.

The disadvantage is that you have to have nice weather the whole time.

Your not wrong either way.

I work in Nashville and can help steer you to a good program if you want, just PM me.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

if you are planning on traveling to do your aff, think about skydive the farm in georgia. hans has an a license package for $1800. everything included (even gear/packing and coach jumps). probably one of the best deals around. i think its about a 3.5 hour to 4 hour drive from nashville.

during the summer you shouldn't have a problem getting in the 25 jumps in a week.

there is a bunk house you can stay in or 55 acres with two ponds to camp on.

and the best thing is the vibe. great people!!!
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Something to remember is that YOU have to be able to meet the objectives in that brief period. Many students will do that without difficulty. However, it is not uncommon for students to have difficulty with one or more levels. I would consider choosing a place that has both the 7 day option AND access to a vertical wind tunnel. That would give you the option of remedial tunnel time if needed.

My preference would be for a 7-day program that has tunnel time built in!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I've done done research, and I'd live to get into a wind tunnel too, but I don't know of any that are close to nashville that are any good. Other than florida, are there any good wind tunnels in the south? I heard they have one in gatlinburg, but it's older and more of a tourist/one time deal rather than a training tool, is that correct?

I'll definitely have to check out the farm, thought they were father away than 3 hours. Can't wait to get started!

Well the Farm and Start Skydiving are the closest (to my knowledge) that offer a program your looking for.

But if a Tunnel is key (it can be a great benefit) you can go to Raeford (8 hour + or - drive) as the XP tunnel is just down the road.

Or Skydive East TN can work with you and you could use the AAC tunnel, just a hour and a half away from the DZ, too.

Again shoot me a PM, I will help you out.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've done done research, and I'd live to get into a wind tunnel too, but I don't know of any that are close to nashville that are any good. Other than florida, are there any good wind tunnels in the south? I heard they have one in gatlinburg, but it's older and more of a tourist/one time deal rather than a training tool, is that correct?

I'll definitely have to check out the farm, thought they were father away than 3 hours. Can't wait to get started!

google says 4 hours, its 225 miles from nashville. i've got a buddy that jumps at SET, and he came to the farm for his training and drops by now and them to jump, so it is manageable.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Hey Craig –

Don’t be in such a hurry. You can get your A in a week (and safely), but I would recommend finishing your AFF in a week with about another 10 jumps max. If you pass all of your AFF jumps first time, that’s 15 jumps in 5 to 6 days. You’ll use one day for your FJC and your first jump. If you need to retake a couple of AFF jumps you’ll use more time dirt diving jumps. Say 17 jumps in 5 days. That’s good number of jumps.

Take your time and enjoy the progression more. And do several dirt dives of your jumps during the week: from the plan to your EP’s.

To be brief -

AFF or A license in a week upsides - you finish in a week, sometimes it costs less (many places will let you pay the discoutned rate for the whole program, and then make the jumps at your own pace. If you could find a local DZ with that option, then the cost savings of the 'rush job' are cancelled out. Also, be sure to factor in any travel costs).

AFF or A license in a week downsides -

- You're on a schedule. This adds pressure to complete 'x' number of jumps per day, when the real measure of jumps-per-day should be your physical wellness and overall confidence. A 'bad' jump can rattle your confidence, and if you need a day or two to get it back, you should be able to take that time with no pressure to do otherwise.

- The weather. This is related to the schedule issue above, but if you plan to travel and jump for a week, sometimes it rains for 3 or 4 days straight. In that case, you would have even less time to complete your jumps, or you would need to make sure of the refund policy of un-used jumps. Sometimes they give you a deal based on you making 25 jumps, let's say for $2500. If you don't complete 10 of those due to weather, you may not be getting back what you expect. They might charge you the goign rate for the 15 jumsp you made, no discount, leaving your refund a little short.

- You might not like it, or get stuck on a certain level. Not liking it is easy to understand, you do a couple and find out it's not for you. See the above part about refunds. Getting stuck is another story. Each jump has certain goals that must be met, a set of learning tasks that must be completed in order to pass. If you don't complete the tasks, you repeat the level until you do. It might take you 3 or 4 tries to finish a certain level, and this will effect the cost and time of the program.

The zero to hero in a week programs offer a few benefits such as currency. That is a big thing.

It can have some drawbacks that no one has mentioned.... One of them is you get to know the local jumpers at YOUR DZ. And that is kinda a big thing. You will become part of YOUR DZ and will make friends.

This will help you out a bunch in the long run.

Spending a few more weekends at the DZ may make things a little slower than you would like, but you will spend that time making, possibly, life long friends.

I'd spend the week long vacation later working on advanced skills later, IMO.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The zero to hero in a week programs offer a few benefits such as currency. That is a big thing.

It can have some drawbacks that no one has mentioned.... One of them is you get to know the local jumpers at YOUR DZ. And that is kinda a big thing. You will become part of YOUR DZ and will make friends.

This will help you out a bunch in the long run.

Spending a few more weekends at the DZ may make things a little slower than you would like, but you will spend that time making, possibly, life long friends.

I'd spend the week long vacation later working on advanced skills later, IMO.

I am a big proponent of not doing AFF in a week. I think getting to know the people you are going to be jumping with at your DZ can work to your advantage. I think A in a week programs can work for the right people, but I just feel there is a disconnect when you show up at a DZ and no one knows you and you're a brand new jumper.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just to echo that last point, read this website and see how many times the end result of 'advice' given over the internet is 'ask your instructors'. They are ultimately the best resource for making judgement calls related to your abilities because they are the ones who know you abilities better than anyone. Asking them things is easier to do when they're at your home DZ, and not several hours away.

Of course, local instructors will help you out if you have questions even if you didn't train with them, but you might not get the same level of 'service' as one of their own students in the same position. Most instructors take a personal responsibility for their students that lasts long after they get off student status. It is nice to have the local instructors know you and your abilites, and generally be there to 'watch your back'.

AST is a little over an hour from nashville. We are open friday though sunday.

AST doesn't offer the program that the OP wants.

Thank you for highlighting what I said...I didnt say we did. Just letting him know where we are at since he lives in Nashville.

Thank you for highlighting what I said...I didnt say we did. Just letting him know where we are at since he lives in Nashville.

Your post did not address the question that was asked. But since you brought it up, he should educate himself about "who" your dropzone "is".

Your post did not address the question that was asked. But since you brought it up, he should educate himself about "who" your dropzone "is".

Damn/...nit picky people, just let them talk...Geeezuss...:S