back to skydiving

This may seem kind of strange. I started skydiving 20 years ago - April 1991, static line. But I got into base (>600 base jumps, 100 skydives) not long after that and stopped skydiving. I've lost interest in base activity and want to get back into skydiving. The two activities have commonalities but they also have a lot of differences. What would you recommend for me to get current again (other than just do it)?

A first jump course might even be appropriate but maybe training jumps? The concept of zp canopies, congested landing patterns, etc. seem a bit overwhelming and I want to continue jumping for a long time.

y'all have some suggestions for me to get back to this beautiful sport that I'm out of date for?

thanks
Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I would recommend a visit to the closest DZ and see what they would require. I would guess they will want you to do a first jump course and probably a level 3 or 4 training jump.

Back in '91 they would have probably given you a rig and told you to go jump with 7 friends but it's a new world.

Yo 460!

Whenever we get calls from jumpers who are getting back into skydiving after a long break, a HUGE concern is that they will be super un-current with canopy skills. Not the case with you.

Welcome back!

Remember you have a reserve so line twists or a line over won't potentially kill you. hahaha.

GO to ur local DZ and talk to an AFF instructor. You are not the typical "un-current" jumper. A lot will depend on your skydiving log book and what license you attained during your skydiving.

Expect to do a ground school and a couple AFF style re-currency jumps. How you do in the air and while flying your pattern will tell you and the instructors at the dz where you are at.

Although you probably don't need the help with body position or altitude awareness, it will be invaluable to spend some time with a current aff instructor going over the newer equipment and refreshing emergency procedures. Spend lots of time walking the landing area and plan your landing strategy remembering you will potentially be among much more traffic (except during those big-ways at Bridge Day.)

After you land, don't run to your car to escape. You can go right back up for another jump.

While getting recurrent, jump a conservative skydiving parachute for longer than you want to. Although you have a ton of BASE jumps, you are still a newbie by skydiving standards with just 100 jumps. Your last 600 jumps have been under F-111 boats.

If you jump a BASE rig with a 260,265-280,285, try to skydive with something like a Navigator 220. That will be an excellent transition canopy as you move to a Sabre 2ish type 170-190 skydiving canopy.

Thanks man! Kind of like learning to walk again. Funny thing is that when I go to a DZ, I get a bunch of leeway if they let my jump (despite being a hazard in the sky), when in reality I need to get back to student status (and mindfully be humble) so I don't get hurt or cut someone off in a landing pattern. It's bewildering dealing with a million fast canopies all over the place on landing. And then everyone looks at you weird when you PLF a ZP canopy, hug everyone around you, tell tall tales, drink a beer, and run to the car!

cheers
Chris

Your internal clock will probably be screaming at you like crazy, that 1st couple of jumps back "holy-f*** ...when do I pull?!!!" ;) Are you still a member of USPA? Even though it is (supposedly) a voluntary membership organization - most dropzones you visit, will require you have membership. You may need to make special request to reinstate your "old license". No worries there, as the #'s assigned are sequential and whatever you previously had should be easily enough "re-assigned/activated" back to you.

As others have said - probably at the very least, a little ground "refresher" course, just to get you all fully re-acclimated, and a jump or 2 with a rated instructor to get you signed-off ...then, your decision as to which discipline(s) you'd like to pursue (we actually MEAN to fly on all axis' now adays ;)) - and you should be (hopefully) welcomed back with open arms!

If you are anywhere near the mid-atlantic states, I would be pleased to be part of that personal welcoming comittee.

WELCOME BACK, BROTHER! B|
Blues,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

After you land, don't run to your car to escape. You can go right back up for another jump.

:D:D:D
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Yes, I'll have to reinstate my USPA membership. Yes, and at pull time, they would frown on me opening at my normal altitude, 200 feet from terminal velocity, which would be totally reckless given the gear configuration used in skydiving. Thanks for the encouragement y'all.

they would frown on me opening at my normal altitude, 200 feet from terminal velocity...

Yeah. For sure - please, don't do that. ;)

Yeah make sure to pull at a few THOUSAND feet, not a few hundred. :D

But seriously good luck with it! Youll be fine. Youve been dealing with much more technical canopy flight overthe last few hundred jumps, youre just not gonna know what to do with a huuuge open landing area :ph34r: lol.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

thanks man. i am convinced that i'll die skydiving instead of base if i don't do this right.

what do y'all think of getting a Triathalon, big one, maybe 190, to get back into jumping? 9 cells throw me off too much.

thanks man. i am convinced that i'll die skydiving instead of base if i don't do this right.

what do y'all think of getting a Triathalon, big one, maybe 190, to get back into jumping? 9 cells throw me off too much.

That attitude will be a serious help in your continued survival. As opposed to those who "know what they are doing".

It sounds to me like you are approaching this thoughtfully and sensibly.

What do you mean by 9-cells "throwing you off"? I jump a 190 Tri right now, but will more than likely be going to a 9 cell (Sabre2 probably) this spring. I've flown them a few times and didn't notice that much difference.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

is that you on your profile? how much do you weigh.? i'm a big boy. like 260 lbs i think a tri 190 would be a fine canopy choice:P pssst. pm me i can put you on one cheep! :D but seriously. if your under 190 and you appear to be in that pic. loading that tri less than 1 to 1 you should do fine. just my drunken 2 cents
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I weigh about 180 pounds. A triathalon is the best skydiving canopy I've jumped. That would be my preference since I'm already hardwired for a 7 cell.

You could get a BASE canopy a size smaller than your normal one. Sail slider, no vents. I know someone who did exactly that so he's always in touch with his BASE skills. Downside is larger pack volume than a skydive canopy and BASE canopy wears out quicker. Upside is you have another BASE canopy for "easy" jumps.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Overall, just go to the DZ and see they want you to do. You've managed to survive 100's of BASE jumps, and it sounds like you have the right attitude about coming back to the DZ. You realize it's a different game than it was 20 years ago, and it's a different game than BASE jumping. If you just take your time, and ease back into the swing of things, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Equipment wise, jump the student rigs at the DZ to start off with. Don't worry about 7 or 9 cells for now, all the student canopies will be big enough and slow enough that it won't make a big difference to you. Keep in mind you're going to be under canopy for 2 to 3 minutes, landing in a large open field in broad daylight, not the most challenging of situations.

Also, traffic-wise it won't be as bad as you think. As a 'student' or solo with a higher pull altitude, you'll be getting out last-ish, and jumping a larger canopy you'll be landing last-ish. Both of which add up to the majority of canopies (especially the small, fast ones) will already be on the ground. I'm not saying you don't need to be mindful of traffic, just that the bulk of it will be down before you when you first get back in the sky. Once you start jumping with others you'll move up in the exit order, and when you start jumping a smaller canopy you'll be landing more mid-pack, but that's why you start slow and ease into those things. By the time you get there, you'll have adapted to the situation, and be able to handle it no problem.

Best advice so far - don't jam your canopy in a stash bag and run for the car when you land.

i could be wrong here, but i know where i learned at, deland, had a totally separate and HUUUUUGE area dedicated to students and low number jumpers. youd MAYBE have 2 other people land in that area on a load, and idk how big it was but the area was HUUUGE. youd land nowhere near each other unless you really tried. so if they have that id stick there for a good number of jumps till you get used to the skydiving side of things. just a thought :)

Congrats!
With your attitude and your BASE experience, you've got a lot going for you. You're just going to have to re-train your two altimeters...your eyeballs.;)

Just think...no rocks, no rivers, no guy wires, no concrete walls....acres of landing area...what more could you want?
:D:D

Sounds like you're comfortable with the Tri. I fly a 190 and a 175...love 'em both. You can't go wrong with a Tri.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Keep in mind you're going to be under canopy for 2 to 3 minutes, landing in a large open field in broad daylight, not the most challenging of situations.

Well, he could always spot & pull over the town... :)

that IS a good idea, i mean he is used to jumping fixed things, dont want to change too many variables at once right? i mean a new canopy, a huuuge open field, day time, not having to run for your life, and jumping from something that is moving may very well just bee to much to handle! i say you track over the city and pull. to keep at least something the same, since you re used to landing in shit :)