guineapiggie101

more than one AFF level jump in a day

I've heard of people who did eight or nine in a day, but I think that would've been way too much for me. The most I did was three in a day and I felt it in my arms from steering the canopy. From what I was told the sooner you get them all done the better. Helps you lock in that knowledge.

the pace of your aff will go according to you. if you can make multiple jumps in a day mentally and physically, then do it!

i think the most i did was 3 levels in a day.

I'm pretty sure I did level 4 three times in a day...

Does that count?:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

the pace of your aff will go according to you. if you can make multiple jumps in a day mentally and physically, then do it!

Don't feel had, we had oen guy do 14 level 6's!

ouch.

I hope I don't have to do too many repeats of a level.

ouch.

I hope I don't have to do too many repeats of a level.

He was a rare case, and not a quiter, (actaully a millionair from japan) We fucked with him for level 7,. we used a vid of Robin Burg freestyling, set up as a level 7 video...(I have that on VHS) he was about to shit himself, till we couldn;t hold back the laughter any longer, and he noticed me holding a camera!:ph34r:B|

is that a good idea or not? Or do most people who have gone through the AFF program, space out their level qualifying jumps?

The DZ is working out the rig issues with me and I should be able to do a jump in a few weeks, yay!!! :)

From my perspective, trying to push through more than three jumps in a day is a mistake. It's a lot of info to take in, and time spent on the ground working on muscle memory and reviewing the next jump (via video, text on paper, instructor time) is a more effective use of time.
Getting through the program might be faster, but less thorough.

is that a good idea or not? Or do most people who have gone through the AFF program, space out their level qualifying jumps?

The DZ is working out the rig issues with me and I should be able to do a jump in a few weeks, yay!!! :)

Hi,
What are your special needs? You said the DZ is working w/you on them. All else being equal? I did three AFF jumps in a day. It was great to build on them so quickly. It helped give me a little confidence. It was also kinda draining to me (stress). I don't think more than three would have been a good idea for me (afraid of heights). Other people have done more than twice as many in a day. It's up to you. See how it goes.

I’m closer to AFF than most of the others. Here’s what I did. One level per day mid morning. Spent the rest of the day reviewing the jump, practicing EP’s to develop muscle memory (as was stated earlier) and dirt diving the next jump lots of times. When I ran out things to do, I grabbed a chute and start learning to pack. During AFF I would pack next to a senior jumper and they would give me lots of instructions.

Also, while you’re sitting there you’ll get lots of instruction through stories from the other jumpers. You learn a lot just being there and participating in the goings on at the DZ.

Blue skies be safe

I’m closer to AFF than most of the others. Here’s what I did. One level per day mid morning. Spent the rest of the day reviewing the jump, practicing EP’s to develop muscle memory (as was stated earlier) and dirt diving the next jump lots of times. When I ran out things to do, I grabbed a chute and start learning to pack. During AFF I would pack next to a senior jumper and they would give me lots of instructions.

Also, while you’re sitting there you’ll get lots of instruction through stories from the other jumpers. You learn a lot just being there and participating in the goings on at the DZ.

Blue skies be safe

thanks!

what is "dirt diving"?

How long did it take you to get through AFF?

I will tell you what I do on any given day I jump. When I wake up I tell myself how many jumps I am going to do obviously given appropriate conditions. If something comes up or I start feeling fatigued or frustrated I may scale back how many jumps I plan on doing. My only rule is I never do more than I was mentally prepared to do. If I mentally "check out" at any point in the day I am done, period. I started doing this when one day I showed up to the dropzone really tired and alittle hungover, made 2 or 3 jumps started feeling even more tired. I manifested for another jump just before I realized I hadn't ever turned on my AAD. I pulled myself off the load gathered my gear and went home. In my opinion even once ur off AFF and A- Licensed, don't push it to push it you will forget something or overlook a precaution.

Pretty much everyone on here is more experienced than me (80 jumps)and can scold me for forgetting to turn on my AAD but I would bet most of them have forgotten something at somepoint.

It took six weekends. I did two consecutive Saturdays, skipped a Saturday and then three consecutive Saturdays.

Dirt diving is practicing the dive on the ground (in the dirt) in the same sequence you’ll be expected to complete in the air. I dirt dived every AFF jump lots of times.

Watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_XpWCh8djc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_XpWCh8djc

Blue skies, be safe

My record student:

FJC most of the day Saturday, me teaching, him student - about 5 people in the class.

Levels 1 thru 3 Saturday after the class until sunset (summer, late day sunsets)

Learn to pack Saturday night

Sunday, levels 3 thru 7 and his first solo. ALL WHILE HE PACKED FOR ME while I was working with another student so he could jump quicker - and yes I paid him for the three packjobs he did for me that day.

Abnormal, but the standard I use for "working hard to get thru AFF quickly.":)

I did my last 3 on the same day. Get a good rest the night before and as long as you're a good flyer you'll be ok. If you're having stability issues you might just get more frustrated and be better off spending 10 mins in a tunnel before your next $150 60 second wonder.

Jeff

I just finished my student jumps this summer so I've got about a 10 jump headstart on you. Time and weather permitting, I never got more than 2 jumps in a day. Usually it was one and sometimes due to winds etc it was 0. Conditions play a big part that will impact your "plans." That said, the comfort level on the second jump of the day was really pretty nice. A lot of the tension and jitters of the first are gone making the second a whole lot of fun.

For me, after finishing each jump, I would take my time to "decompress" and think about what made the previous jump a success and what I'd like to improve upon for the next. If I was mentally drained, I'd quit for the day. You have a LOT to think about, don't rush it.

If I was mentally drained, I'd quit for the day. You have a LOT to think about, don't rush it.

Another good point. I had one day where I only did two AFF jumps because I just wasn't getting turns and was getting frustrated and needed to stop for the day. I talked to my AFFI the next day and the day after that was able to work it out on the first jump. Don't force yourself if you're not feeling it.

And don't get too upset if you fail a level. I went into it thinking everyone passes each level on their first try and it turns out that's not true. Knowing that in advance would have taken off some of that pressure I was putting on myself.

He was a rare case, and not a quiter, (actaully a millionair from japan) We fucked with him for level 7,. we used a vid of Robin Burg freestyling, set up as a level 7 video...(I have that on VHS) he was about to shit himself, till we couldn;t hold back the laughter any longer, and he noticed me holding a camera!:ph34r:B|

I would LOVE to see that video! Must be so funny.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

Most students can only handle two or three AFF jumps per day.
Any more than that and fatigue starts to degrade their performance.

On another note: are you anywhere near a wind-tunnel?
Even 20 minutes in a wind-tunnel - with an AFF Instructor - will vastly improve your performance during skydives.

You may have seen this from Cheri Carter...
http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/Cheri.html
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

we had a guy that did 57 AFF jumps, he graduated twice but would stay away more than 30 days and need a refresher jump, he would completely blow the jump and require more jumps, a surgeon with plenty of money and worked out - real strong guy

after 30 or so jumps when he showed up he would manifest himself and the instructor, the instructor would ask what he wanted to work on for that jump, he would get a rig and suit up

one jump would be perfect and the next would be crazy, spinning, pull at 8K for no reason, track on his back, etc.

you never knew what was going to happen, I'm convinced that he was just scared to jump without an instructor
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

My dz has a policy of 3 AFF levels per day. I don't know if that is strictly enforced or not.
I started in October and finished in December putting in about 9-10 jump days to get through AFF 1-7 and coached jumps 8-14.

Whatever your plan is, make sure you spend at least an hour after training before getting on the load visualizing all the tasks in the dive flow. Start from exit and go through pull time. Make sure that you are keeping your feet, knees, legs level etc. I'd rather spend time practicing a level than paying big money to repeat a level because I wasn't prepared. If you can get trained, practice, ride up, jump, debrief... then keep going. Stop as soon as you feel less than 100%