TKoontz

To Go or not GoPro?

I'm a new skydiver, just finishing up my A license requirements (23 jumps). I recently got a GoPro Hero for Christmas and mounted it on the top of my helmet. I brough it to the DZ and my dive masters had no problems with it and encouraged me to get footage for later review. However, I am slightly concerned with the possibilities of tangling my risers. I tend to have very steady, level, and on-heading openings. Just looking for some feedback. If it makes any difference I have a RAWA freefly helmet
Thanks much
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

To Not GoPro is a better idea. Cameras present a serious risk of distraction, a moderate risk of entanglement and at your level not give you debriefable video. If you need video of your dive, better to ask a friend who has the experience to get usable video safely.

Did you read the two stickies in the Photog & Vid forum?

They will give you answers to the questions you are asking, and the reasons behind the answers too.

This question gets asked a lot.

That's why they are "stickies".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I brough it to the DZ and my dive masters had no problems with it and encouraged me to get footage for later review.

Really? What kind of footage are you going to be reviewing? An aerial shot of the dz?
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

everybody and their dog has one and thinks they need to chronicle their every move, what's the point?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

everybody and their dog has one and thinks they need to chronicle their every move, what's the point?

I agree. I would much rather have video OF me than BY me. Video by me has no learning value whatsoever.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I'm a new skydiver, just finishing up my A license requirements (23 jumps). I recently got a GoPro Hero for Christmas and mounted it on the top of my helmet. I brough it to the DZ and my dive masters had no problems with it and encouraged me to get footage for later review. However, I am slightly concerned with the possibilities of tangling my risers. I tend to have very steady, level, and on-heading openings. Just looking for some feedback. If it makes any difference I have a RAWA freefly helmet
Thanks much

----------------------------------------------------------

If you just finished up your A license requirements then you would know that you need a minimum of 25 jumps for your A license. And if these people you spoke with truly are instructors then then wouldnt have told you to get a gopro in the first place. So do you live under a bridge and look like the attached picture? In any case if you arent trying to get under anyones skin, then quit being a jabroni and get some gear that would help you, rather than looking like a damn lawn dart.

FINISHING (as in, the process of doing something that has yet to be completed). I am aware of the 25 jump requirement, among other things. As previously stated, the GoPro was a Christmas present; ie, not my decision nor was it asked for. My instructors did not recommend that I get one, but when I brought it to the DZ along with my questions about it, they only said to let them see what I was doing while under canopy and sent me up with it. This was not a premeditated attempt to rock the boat, but an earnest question to those more experienced for input.
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

FINISHING (as in, the process of doing something that has yet to be completed). I am aware of the 25 jump requirement, among other things. As previously stated, the GoPro was a Christmas present; ie, not my decision nor was it asked for. My instructors did not recommend that I get one, but when I brought it to the DZ along with my questions about it, they only said to let them see what I was doing while under canopy and sent me up with it. This was not a premeditated attempt to rock the boat, but an earnest question to those more experienced for input.

There are a lotta people that have them and use them without incident, but at your current stage you would likely want to wait and get more experience in handling the things you've been and are being trained in.

In all honesty it wouldn't be of a lot of value regarding the things you want to use it for, might even be more beneficial to hand it to someone else on the ground to record your canopy work for evaluation.

Using a camera before you're even licensed isn't a smart move in that you are somewhat already at the edge of the concentration and performance envelope...nothing against you, it's just a part of the process.

There is a laundry list of things that 'could' go wrong, problems that you 'could' create for yourself jumping a camera now...some of those situations can lead to injury or death, just not a good idea to play the odds like that just now.

Good on you for seeking additional advice, the suggestion you 'try it' from your instructor probably was not in your best interest 'at this' time.

Ultimately the responsibility for your safety is yours alone, with more time and jumps you will be able to more readily understand additional risks and decide if you are ready to proceed.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>they only said to let them see what I was doing while under canopy

It won't show that. It will show the horizon shifting around while you turn your head. It will not show what your canopy is doing, what your hands are doing or what your speed/descent rate is.

Thank you for the sound advice, I will hold off on camera jumping for a while yet, I plan on doing what I can to ensure a long future of jumping.

That's a good plan, one that's kept ME injury free for 35 years of jumping. ;)

Have fun & be safe! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thank you for the sound advice, I will hold off on camera jumping for a while yet, I plan on doing what I can to ensure a long future of jumping.

That's a good plan, one that's kept ME injury free for 35 years of jumping. ;)

Have fun & be safe! B|

doesnt account for your mental health, does it!? :P

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda