SkymonkeyONE

Thirty years ago today....

I made my first skydive on 12 January 1981. I was 17 years old. SL progression out of a Cessna 182 with the door off. 28 foot 7-TU in a B=12 container. I weighed 110 pounds and was five foot two.

Today, I made four jumps in my new job. I was JMing all day today and didn't spot anyone off the DZ (thank God..LOL) While there are a ton of people out there with more than my seven thousand jumps, few have spent more than twenty years in the service and have managed to keep it up for that long continuously. I consider myself terribly lucky not to have suffered any debilitating injuries during that time. I also consider myself incredibly lucky to have met so many fine people and to have made so many incredible demos during my tenure. It has not sucked.

My advice to young jumpers: Don't be a "tourist", make as many friends in the sport as you can, and be safe enough to continue doing this great thing all of your life. I am 47 and have been jumping for 30 of those years. How cool is that?

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF-I, SL-I, TM-I, PRO, S&TA, BMCI, PFC/E

I consider myself terribly lucky not to have suffered any debilitating injuries during that time.

And in your case, most of that luck has been needed when you're on the ground. :D

make as many friends in the sport as you can

Chuck, even though I haven't had the privilege of jumping with you (yet) I'm glad I can count you in that list of friends I've made in the sport.

:D to another 30 years!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Fuckin pup.
I was 24, made my first skydive that year and started the Q course.

Wait. That means we're a couple of really old fuckers now.
You want me to send you a "Bigun ruined my life T-shirt.?"

Luv ya, man... Ya know, that monkey love kinda shit.

Keep churnin and burnin, Bro. ;)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I made my first skydive on 12 January 1981. I was 17 years old. SL progression out of a Cessna 182 with the door off. 28 foot 7-TU in a B=12 container. I weighed 110 pounds and was five foot two.

Today, I made four jumps in my current job as an instructor at the USMC Multi-Mission Parachute Course in Coolidge, AZ. I was primary JM all day today and didn't spot anyone off the DZ (thank God..LOL) While there are a ton of people out there with more than my seven thousand jumps, few have spent more than twenty years in the service and have managed to keep it up for that long continuously. I consider myself terribly lucky not to have suffered any debilitating injuries during that time. I also consider myself incredibly lucky to have met so many fine people and to have made so many incredible demos during my tenure. It has not sucked.

My advice to young jumpers: Don't be a "tourist", make as many friends in the sport as you can, and be safe enough to continue doing this great thing all of your life. I am 47 and have been jumping for 30 of those years. How cool is that?

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF-I, SL-I, TM-I, PRO, S&TA, BMCI, PFC/E

Cool . . . I still have that T-shirt BTW

Cheers Chuck - I'm glad to know you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That means we're a couple of really old fuckers now.

I'm older and started first, but I keep telling myself it's not the years, it's the mileage :):P

Of course, I don't have nearly as many jumps... congrats, Chuck

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The weirdest drunk dial I've ever had was from you and you've embarrassed me more times than I can count!
But still, I heart you, Chuckie Blue. Congrats on your impressive accomplishment! B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

And here I thought 'Twardo was old......:D

Congrats Monkey...... Here's to jumping with you again some time.:)

>:(:ph34r:

I started 5 years before Chuck, open door Cessna too...B|

I only have 1/2 as many jumps but I know the line in his post that speaks volumes is the one about no injuries.

Outstanding Skymonkey, looking forward to the NEXT 30! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've got a few years on you, but I didn't start jumping until I was 45. At 17 I was too busy surfing, diving, sailing, etc. on the beach, and .... hmmm ... something else, but I forget what it was for some reason. Huge congrats on 30 SAFE years in the sport, and wishes for that trend to continue on, and on, and on ....
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

That is awesome! B|

Congratulations, Chuck.
I wish now (and my only regret) is that I too, had not started sooner / earlier.

"It has not sucked". I think I will change my sig line to that.

Here is now to your NEXT 30 years as well. HIM... HIM... !!

-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Congrats, I started in 73 at 16. Only 4,000+, never went a yr without a couple of jumps. Hope to live and jump long enough to be the oldest continuous skydiver. Never got hurt enough that I couldn't jump the next day, but sure did have a few that felt like I got beat up with a bat. Had over a hundred jumps before I even saw a Square. Lots of stories.
Congrats to another old timer!

Congrats man!!! the only I can say.

I did my first jump (military S/L from a C-130 during my national service) back on april 1999 at age 21 and I have since only 274 jumps (living in Greece is hard for a skydiver).

I was lucky enough to met Chuck on Zhills (went there to get my coach rating) on february 2008 and had my best skydive ever...........a six way organised by Chuck.....

Wish you all the best and safe landings for ever