shmuelrich

Where do we go from here???

So after 9 years since my first jump and only 40 something jumps with lots of refresher courses in between, I'm finally getting my first rig and don't really know where to go from here. I don't have anyone to jump with at my DZ that's at my level or a little bit higher so that I can learn something from. So I was wondering, until I find someone if anyone out there can give me some pointers on what to focus on or practice on solo jumps?

yea... but it kinda tough thou where I jump. It's one of those DZ's that do mostly tandems so thats why I wanna find something to work on on my own till I meet some jumpers there. Also the staff there isn't so friendly too.

Find somewhere else to jump then...

Where do you live?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm a very new jumper so factor that in to my advice.

I found my first few solo jumps very boring. I worked on maintaining a heading, practicing turns, tracking (no more than 3 seconds at a time). So after that I did some coaching jumps where we worked on levels (speeding up or slowing down) and moving back and forth. Without someone in the air I'd think that would be hard to judge. Maybe try going unstable with some backflips and then fixing it?

You could also focus on your canopy skills. Get permission to pull a little higher and work on really learning your canopy. Someone recently asked what they should work on in terms of canopy skills so there's already a thread discussing what you could do.

Are you in Italy or were you just there for a few days (your other post)? Can you afford to travel to Empuriabrava or somewhere like that?

I'm live in Israel and I was just in Rome for a couple of days visiting so traveling is not such an option. I hope to make it to Thailand in the spring and maybe take a course or just meet some ppl there. There's not much of a community here. I used to live in Phoenix and jump all the time in Eloy so when I came over here it was like having my balls cut offB| But I guess I'll figure something out. There gotta be someone here to jump with

I wish. I'm in Israel and we only got 2 DZ's one sucks and the other doesn't suck as bad

well that's a great attitude to have in order to make friends and find new co-jumpers [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Congratulations!

Here are 22 pages of canopy control info and drills which are perfectly suited to solo work on hop & pops.
http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

Tell us where you are. 

Jumping w/ people at or slightly above your skills in freefall is likely to be frustrating & wasteful.  Find experienced folks to jump with... It will work much better!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I found my first few solo jumps very boring.

Really? Damn that sucks.

Yeah. Just the freefall part, really. I like to be doing SOMETHING and after AFF where you have so much to do it was a huge shift to just fall stable. And I really didn't know how to do much. Now I've done about two hours in the tunnel so next time I jump I should have more things to try (once I get the rundown on what it's safe to try, that is).:)

Really? Damn that sucks.

i find solos boring as well.

As fast as you fall, you don't have time to get bored on a 12 second skydive.
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Really? Damn that sucks.

As fast as you fall, you don't have time to get bored on a 12 second skydive.
:D:D:P

i've dropped about 30/35 pounds since we jumped andy, and i can actually fly a little now.:P

we need to do another jump together this year, and i promise i wont drink rocket fuel before!
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I wish. I'm in Israel and we only got 2 DZ's one sucks and the other doesn't suck as bad

Well, one of those are my home dropzone, and ever since my aff course 13 months ago, I've managed to jump a little under 300 jumps. Plenty of people here to jump with. Plenty of RW, or freefly, whatever floats your boat. Friendly atmosphere, safety oriented. So first come and give it a try. Then you can decide to say that the DZ "sucks".

Im jsut curious what you base your opinion on about the DZ "sucking?" Seeing how you you average about 3.5 jumps a year, have you really given it a chance?
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

Really? Damn that sucks.

i think in 2010 about 2/3 of my few jumps were solo - hop n'pops - and now i got my 90's down pretty well. i wouldnt exactly call that boring. your mileage may vary tough..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Really? Damn that sucks.

That's because you consider freefall to be the be-all and end-all of skydiving. There's certainly nothing wrong with enjoying (and preferring) the freefall disciplines; but at sub-100 jumps (your profile says 78 jumps), there's a hell of a lot of canopy training you could do (a) to make you a safer skydiver, to yourself and others, and (b) to become a skilled enough canopy pilot that you just might be able to start swooping and enjoying it.

There's no such thing as a wasted skydive; just a wasted opportunity.

Your current profile says you have 28 jumps. For the life of me, I cannot imagine anyone with less than 50 or 100 jumps finding any kind of parachute jump to be boring. But maybe I'm just a sensitive guy.

I feel the same way...I don't understand why people say jumping alone is "boring," especially new jumpers.

I am a very nervous person, but so far every skydive I have been on has been fun & very exciting even when I am alone...

Even when alone you are still flying around in the goddamn sky like jesus christ... try to enjoy it folks!!!

Your current profile says you have 28 jumps. For the life of me, I cannot imagine anyone with less than 50 or 100 jumps finding any kind of parachute jump to be boring. But maybe I'm just a sensitive guy.

I clarified my point later. I found the freefall portion boring because I didn't know how to do much so falling stable and on heading was interesting for about 20 seconds of the 40 I had in freefall. Now that I've had some tunnel time to learn more skills I expect that I'll have more I can work on when I jump again in a couple of weeks (like belly to back transitions). Without someone else in freefall with you it's hard to judge how well you're doing at something like slowing your fall rate, moving forward or backward, etc.

I had plenty to work on learning a new exit and learning my canopy, just not the same level of learning as jumping with an instructor. So, after about three solos I was ready to have someone else up there with me again.

To each their own. We all experience life differently.