tmarine253

Sabre 2 150

Currently I am jumping a Storm 170 and am demoing a Sabre 2 170 which is in my rig. I really like the Sabre 2 and I think I like it much better than the Storm. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if downsizing to a Sabre 2 150 which would be loaded at about 1.1 would make the Sabre 2 too aggressive? The Sabre 2 170 is nice but it seems a little docile I am loading it about .95 or so. I want a canopy that is a little faster and will turn quicker than what the 170 is doing for me. As for canopy control I feel completely comfortable under the 170 my landings are where I want them and on the Sabre 2 they are the softest landings I have ever experienced every jump I have put on the demo Sabre 2 have been stand up. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Just yesterday I heard a guy with about 5000 jumps who has medalled in several international swoop competitions talking about this very issue. The case he was talking about actually involved a guy with a 170 who wanted to go to a 150. He said he could get more out of a 170 than someone with a couple of hundred jumps could get out of a 150. I bet he would say fly the 170 for another year.
I'm curious what you think of the Storm?
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Here is relevant reading for you:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

What I really like about the first link is that it allows you to prove to yourself if you are ready to downsize or not.

Note that the second link is 22 pages... all of it gold.

Remember... the leading cause of death in skydiving right now is flying into a catastrophe under a perfectly good canopy.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

The Storm is a great canopy very stable, really soft openings and the flare is powerful not quite like the Sabre 2 but still powerful. It is a really stable canopy that handles wind really well I think I just load it a little light to get really good wind penetration.

I have also been cotemplating downsizing to a Storm 150 because I really do like that canopy. I will probably demo both the Sabre 2 and Storm 150, I am in no real rush to downsize I was just thinking in the next 50 or so jumps.

While you're bored with the Storm or Sabre2 170, take the time and get some canopy coaching. If I remember right, you're in Deland. There are some amazing canopy pilots there who can teach you to do a lot with your current canopy or the Sabre2/170.

Since you're bored on the docile, barely loaded canopy, you can learn to do some lifesaving things without putting yourself at much risk, and those skills will be extremely valuable as you get into smaller canopies. Things like turning 90 degrees during your landing flare, flaring and landing from half-brakes, downind, stall recovery, etc.

Then, after getting 5 or 10 canopy coach jumps, and spending 5 or 10 jumps practicing each of those 5 or 10 new skills, you'll be ready for the Sabre2/150 (and have more than 100 jumps).

PS: Recently I myself went to get some private canopy coaching. When the coach asked me what I wanted to learn, I told him: "I don't know what it is I don't know. Open my eyes."
Brian

I would be trading my Storm 170 to a Storm 150 or a Sabre 2 150. I think I am going to hold off for a while though I really like my Storm and am kind of attached to that canopy so I am going to see if I can get that canopy to perform more to what I want when I go tomorrow.

Try this on for size... Performance is not just for swooping.

Get good at landing the canopy in predetermined confined spaces. There don't have to be any real obstacles involved. Just imagine landing on the highway median or in a school yard after a bad spot. Accuracy will save your hide more than once over your career so learn it now.

jon

Yep, cause it's all fun and games till you have to land between the chain link fence and the clothes line.

...or have to dodge the bozo heading right for you on landing.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While a 1.1 wing loading is not an aggressive loading, anyone who would give you canopy advice having never seen you land a parachute is a fool.

Considering OP's 39 jumps, would you consider Glideangle's post (#4) foolish?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While a 1.1 wing loading is not an aggressive loading, anyone who would give you canopy advice having never seen you land a parachute is a fool.

Considering OP's 39 jumps, would you consider Glideangle's post (#4) foolish?

It should have been obvious what I meant.

Gold.

This is not emphasized enough here.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I know the thread is maybe not quite actual, but nevertheless I ask for your opinion:
Currently I am jumping a Volt150 and now thinking about changing to a Sabre 2 150.
With 130 jumps in total during the last 2 years and 80 jumps on the Volt150 do you think changing is a good idea? No problems with flying or landing the Volt. Wingload will be 1.1.

By the way: a Sabre 2 with 20 jumps and 2 years old for 1.900€ is a good Offer? Price for a new one round about 2.300€

Thanks for your opinion,
Eddie.

From what I have read, the Volt and Sabre 2 have very similar flight characteristics. So I am wondering why you are wanting to go to the Sabre 2 in the same size. Is there something about the Volt you don't like, or something you think the Sabre 2 will do better?

I jump a Sabre 2, but have been looking at the Volt for my second rig. I haven't had a chance to demo one yet, but based on what I have heard, wasn't expecting to see much difference between the two. Would be interested in hearing why you want to change.