tmarine253

Did my first hop n' pop.

We asked one guy two years ago what's the lowest he'll get out at in an airplane emergency. He thought for a few moments and said, "4500' to 5000'".

Until he feels our feet in his ass. Then he's leaving the plane.:P:D:D

On a similar note, when I'm flying the plane I give a preflight briefing, mainly about if anything goes wrong, sit still and don't do anything unless I say.

I always include the statement "If I yell 'GET OUT NOW!!' don't ask why or say 'What?' because there won't be anybody in the plane to answer":D:D:D
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Ill be in Eloy this weekend... Anybody wanna do a full altitude hop n pop ;)

With planes dropping loads every few minutes, that's not a great idea! There's a canopy safety seminar Saturday evening. You should try to make it to that.

Perfect answer!

We asked one guy two years ago what's the lowest he'll get out at in an airplane emergency. He thought for a few moments and said, "4500' to 5000'".

Until he feels our feet in his ass. Then he's leaving the plane.:P:D:D

On a similar note, when I'm flying the plane I give a preflight briefing, mainly about if anything goes wrong, sit still and don't do anything unless I say.

I always include the statement "If I yell 'GET OUT NOW!!' don't ask why or say 'What?' because there won't be anybody in the plane to answer":D:D:D

What about, "if "I" leave the plane, I suggest you follow"?

:D:D As an ATC, I used to ride in the cockpits with the airline crews from time to time. One day, prior to pushback, the Captain turned to me in the jumpseat and said in no-nonsense tones "Now John, in the event of a ground emergency evacuation, the captain will be the last person to leave the flight deck. John, if you're the last person on the flight deck, you're the captain."

:D

There's that idea that the first low hop and pop is scary for the AFF trained jumper.

One instructor I know has said that it wouldn't be so bad for the students if they just went ahead and did it. Some students don't get all that worried about it and perhaps just focus on the exit, not on the ground looking closer than usual.

But when others on the DZ hear of a student about to do their first hop and pop, some start telling the student about the low & scary aspect. My friend feels that it wouldn't be so low & scary if students weren't filled with ideas about how low & scary it is supposed to be!

True, at least from my own experience. My A-license hop n' pops were completed as part of a canopy control course attended by a bunch of army rangers who thought nothing of getting out at <4k'. Before I went up on that first hop n' pop, my canopy instructor told me, "No worries, just do a clean, poised AFF exit and pull right away." So when the door opened and the rangers got out without hesitation, I climbed out and did just the same thing when my turn came. No biggie.

No one made a ceremony or big deal about it, so neither did I.

Ill be in Eloy this weekend... Anybody wanna do a full altitude hop n pop ;)

With planes dropping loads every few minutes, that's not a great idea! There's a canopy safety seminar Saturday evening. You should try to make it to that.

I will for sure be there for that. If its the last load of the day how is it a bad idea?

It's perfectly fine... that's why most high pulls at dz's with multiple planes in the air are---> sunset jumps. :)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Wonderful!

I remember my first hop & pop. I looked out, and it felt as if the runway was scraping my face, it felt so close. I was so scared.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I too learned on the dope rope.. I don't think I hit "full altitude" (a mere 9500 feet) until jump 20-something! I got more scared the higher I went!! I remember the first time I went to a turbine DZ, getting out at 14.5 with 20 some other people in the plane behind me. I was scared as hell! To some extent, I am still more comfortable bailing at 3k solo than at 14.5 with multiple groups in front of and behind me, and a pilot that I don't know. I still do a lot of hop n pops. That's probably why I'm such a shitty skydiver, but an okay canopy pilot.

Just an update for those of you who said I needed to do a hop n pop from 3500ft. Well I was on the plane at Deland and we were supposed to go to 5k but the Chinese team decided to get out at 2900 so I decided to go out with them. It was awesome.

that's kinda lowish; but a ton of fun, if you get over the scary part! B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

that's kinda lowish

Only to the eyeball. If it's a true hop & pop, the true-vertical velocity is quite slow, yet the canopy deploys quickly in relative wind that is almost as fast as terminal velocity.

i think i got out at something like 2500ft or thereabouts before; yea, to the eye, it was NOT a nice sight, but all went well.. :)only ONE time i got some "extra"-airspeed, normally it's in the 70knts-range (i think!?)..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

As soon as the weather gets better, I wanna spend a few days doing nothing but hop n pops so that I can work on my canopy skills.

Doesnt make sense to do them out at 3000.Go all the way up ,...Do a high h & p..Then you have all day to play with your canopy...

As soon as the weather gets better, I wanna spend a few days doing nothing but hop n pops so that I can work on my canopy skills.

Doesnt make sense to do them out at 3000.Go all the way up ,...Do a high h & p..Then you have all day to play with your canopy...

Makes sense if its a high traffic, multi turbine dz that doesnt want someone hanging around high up when they could be dropping other jumpers.

Just sayin. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message