Klassen

What have you learned?

I have learned to know your gear like it is a part of you, and that buying your own gear will get you very familiar with it. I have learned that I love packing and there is no better way to learn your gear than to friend a rigger and other experienced jumpers.

I learned not to play under canopy before you look and judge your distance from the landing area.

I learned that even when you experience bad turbulence you shouldn t forget to observe the ground winds that could have changed so when you approach they same landing pattern that you have run for the last x # of jumps you arent pushed out of the landing area by a high wind.

And last I learned that pulling your reserve pin is importaint to practice, pretending is not enough. So every repack I will ask my rigger to put me through a emergency procedure and PEEL AND PULL!

I've learned that as a new "A" license holder, that one must really seek out coaching and instruction to continue to learn and live to enjoy the sport. Also, more experienced jumpers seem to, at times, want to take you along maybe a bit faster than your skill level should allow.

Don't eat chili the night before a day of jumping.

You must eat Pickled Elephant Garlic and eggs the night before big ways.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've learned that if your DZ has two landing areas (one for A and B and the other for C and D Licensed divers) and the two are a mile apart....Don't assume the pilot knows you are landing at the "other" field.

It was a long flight back [:/] I'm glad I had a strong tail wind.

Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

one thing i picked up that has saved my ass before is flat turns or braked turns. it is nice having the confidence i can turn 180degrees on final if i get myself into a corner. it is best to avoid getting into a corner, but if you only learn one thing from skydiving it is shit does and will happen.

also if the experienced guys think it is too windy to jump, what the hell makes you think you should do it?
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I have learned that even the youngest and newest members of the sport have valuable insight and ideas just as the older ones do. That and: radical hook turns are bad, long spots suck so become good friends with your rears, skygods are stupid, a broken airplane is frustrating, packing is NOT! FUN, getting paid to skydive is awesome, and DON'T RUSH ANYTHING!!!!!!

there fixed it for ya:)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

This one kind of goes along with the wiggle toes story….

Still on student status, the 4 of us were crammed in the 182 and on the way up. I think I was doing my first 10 second delay and still very very anxious. I was the first out. After 1000 feet we took off our seat belts. I was so nervous all I could remember was my seat beat got stowed under the pilot seat. Of course the student setting behind the pilot was a woman, and a very fine woman at that. I grabbed my seat belt and without even thinking, I slid my hand right up between her legs and shoved the belt buckle under her ass.

Right then, I realized what I had done and looked up at her. She was looking right back at me with one of those stone cold looks on her face. It was that moment when time stands still. I didn’t know what to say.

After de-brief, I approached her and apologized for what I did. She was really cool about it and said don’t worry. Funny thing…we are very good friends today. I should ask her if she remembers when….

What did I learn…..in a cramped 182 full of students anything can happen.
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

The sky will not always be there.

Skydiving requires:
1) Good health.
2) Good weather.
3) Time.
4) Money.
5) Drop zone.

These 5 things will not always be there.

Like the advice you give a young man about getting all the young girls he can get while he's young, the same goes for skydiving.

"Get a lot while you're young" isn't just for real estate anymore.:D

VB has given up on his accout here now after he's reached complete skygod-status after last weekend; i'm his representative..

but listen, this is what VB would say:

"future EX-wife? future EX-girlfirend; fuck that, if she aint giving you no deep-throat BJ, she aint worth your fucking time mate.

it's a simple task, if she aint doing it right, and you aint noticing it, maybe you should turn to something else in your life - if you cant skydive and do 90°-approaches while you're at it, maybe skydiving is not for you!?
never attempt to equip you gear with any kind of RSL's or MARD's, it will only do you harm. occasiaonally forget about your cypres2, too!

VB is in a higher state of mind as of now, and is thinking about doing 270's for this season, so he has no time for the sort of stuff happenig on the forums.. please respect, while i take his place, you can direct any questions to him right at me; i will forward your enquiries to his skygodness. it may be replied to, but, it may be not!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I had a friend say once that he was never getting married again. Instead he was just going to go out on the street every 10 yrs and pick a random woman and give her half his shit just to save all the fighting and hassles.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.