Thanatos340

Which EP Method is taught at your DZ?

Which method is currently taught at your DZ?

A statement was made that Two Hands per handle is "The Industry Standard" in the incidents forum. I am not disagreeing with that but I do think more than Just Chicagoland is teaching that method. Just curious how many more.

I started out on an SOS Rig so Two hand was taught since only one handle.
I think but I am not sure my DZ currently teaches One Hand per handle.

Edit: and a Response saying which DZ would be helpful to get an idea of how many DZ`s are teaching each method.

I'm not going to say the DZ teaches this way or that way. What I will say is that I teach two hands this is a throw back to the old days of two hands needed for shot and half capwells and eyes on your reserve ripcord, kind of went like this: look locate right, look locate left, pull both dust covers and thumbs in loop,eyes on handle, bend at waist, pull both (make sure both pulled) and pull & punch while left arm covers capewells. (unless you got the cool throw aways) Watch the pretty canopy deploy and listen to the rubber bands release.

Of course this became easier to do with one shots and r-2, r-3's and then the 3-ring. For me the thinking of still using two hands a handle and eyes on ripcord stayed, one you can strip the cables competely clear of the housings as you reach arms length and throw it away, then reach and pull reserve handle,toss & arch.

I still teach two hands, it has always worked for me for many years in teaching and many student cutaways, so as I see it, it's not broken so why try to fix something that is not broken, besides that you never know when you'll have a hard pull on a handle. The first time you find that you dropped it and cutaway only half, you quickly find it very interesting trying to locate the floating handle and finish the task at hand! (it's even more exciting at a 1000 ft and no cross connectors, so I've heard and seen)

But hey, to each there own, I know what way I'm going to use the next time, same as the last time.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I was taught one hand for each handle, however it didn't work out that way on my first cutaway. Hard spinning malfunction, couldn't budge the cutaway handle with one hand, took both to do it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

my dz teaches "look, locate, peel, cutaway, reserve, arch"
1 hand one each handle

I have issue with that.

If I were going to teach that method (and the way I happen to conduct my own EP's) it would HAVE to be: "look, locate, peel, cutaway,CHECK reserve, arch"

What happens when you operate with the rhythm with which you train and the cutaway handle hangs up, or the pull is harder than you thought, or you grabbed a bunch of harness as well as the handle?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I teach both.

Dependent on the percieved strength of the jumper.
Low strength - 2 hands, good strength - 1 hand

With emphasis to the 1-handed guys on the possibility of having to move one hand over to help with a hard pull on the handles. I have them practice it both easy pulls and hard pulls.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Which method is currently taught at your DZ?

A statement was made that Two Hands per handle is "The Industry Standard" in the incidents forum. I am not disagreeing with that but I do think more than Just Chicagoland is teaching that method. Just curious how many more.

As a note, rocketscientist said in that thread that Chicagoland teaches one hand per handle. Any staff at the DZ that can confirm?

At my DZ we teach one hand per handle "look right, grab right, look left, grab left, peel (right), punch (right), arch (sweep right arm above head back to an arch - to make sure cable is pulled all the way and to get back into an arch for freefall), peel (left), punch (left), arch (to sweep arm back overhead)

The idea of one hand per handle is that the harness WILL shift after a cutaway and the reserve handle will already be located and in hand.

When students trained at other DZ's show up, we don't try and retrain them if they were taught a two hands per handle method, we are looking to make sure they fully execute their EP's, however. Both methods have pro's and con's. What I want to see in a student is a well rehearsed plan carried out fully and completely every time.

As a side note, I think Bill Booth posed a little while back that the system is designed for one hand on each handle. Far be it for me to speak for the bearded one though, so someone (Bill) please correct me if I'm wrong.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I had to vote two hands per handle, that is how the DZ teaches it now. I, on the other hand was taught one hand per handle. I have used it once in a high speed spinning mal>:( I had no problem with the cutaway even with high g-loads, but I am and always been a big boy:)As far as what to teach today...two hands is good for students...later they can make their own choice.:)

I learned one hand per handle and so far used it successfully with 3 malfunctions.
As so far I never had a "hard-pull" malfunction, it worked perfect for me. I think that I might be aware enough to use a second hand on the cutaway if a hard pull should happen.
However this might not be the case for a student.

The German military is trained one-hand per handle.

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

wasn't it
look red, grab red (with both hands),look silver, pull red. Then grab silver, pull silver ?

Not at our DZ at least. I'm sure there are a blue-million different ways you could do it (and as long as you land safely you must have done it right), but for us it was look, grab, pull respectively for both handles.
Muff #5048

my dz teaches "look, locate, peel, cutaway, reserve, arch"
1 hand one each handle

I was taught:
arch, look, reach, peel r, pull r, peel l, pull l, clear(cables), arch
one hand on each.
My only chop so far, I was done before I actually thought the steps...
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Also curious if any of you Two Hands per handle were taught to "Strip" the Cutaway cables.
I remember Peel, Punch, Strip when I was doing the two hand method. (Two hands on the cutaway handle, Peel, Punch, Leave left hand extended and Right hand back up till cables were free)
That was a LONG time ago on SOS Rig so may not be relevant with more modern gear. I now practice One hand per handle, Peel Punch Right, Peel Punch Left every time I gear up.

Chambersburg teaches two hand...
Look R, both hands on R, look L, pull R, clear cables, pull L, clear cable.

My first chop was a week ago, and after learning 2 hands method and teaching it two handed for so long, that's what I did... though I admit, I never looked at anything, just grabbed. Even if I tried to look, my boobs get in the way anyhow though.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I was taught one hand on each (dz in MI).

On both of my cutaways I used two hands on each handle. I changed my practice EPs.

Skydive Atlanta teaches
look at cutaway handle
grab cutaway handle with 2 hands
look at reserve handle
pull cutaway handle with 2 hands (while never losing site of cutaway handle)
pull reserve handle with 2 hands
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

What I was taught and what I actually did in the state of emergency are different...

I was taught to use two hands on the cutaway handle while looking at the reserve handle...

I had my first cutaway last summer...my right hand was on the cutaway handle while my left was on the reserve handle...I had PLENTY of adrenalin to pull each with one hand on each. It took less force than I expected.