Bodhisattva420

Winter Jumping without Gloves?

Latex gloves also cause sweat like you've been having sex for 90 consecutive minutes, only it's all in your hands. I wouldn't put the latex on under another pair of gloves when you're gearing up on the ground.

If you're having sex with your hands for 90 minutes, you're doing it wrong. :ph34r:

Just means that you're a professional.

Bonfire, here we come.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

On my first winter jump it was 30 degrees on the ground. It was my first jump after converting from a leg throw out to a BOC. I wanted to be sure I could feel and grab that handle so I jumped without gloves. I didn't really notice much in freefall and yes I was able to get my pilot chute out but I pulled high and spent almost 4 or 5 minutes under canopy. Thats when my hands got cold. By the time I landed I could barely feel my fingers. Lesson learned. I now wear gloves on every jump, cold or warm.

I'm reminded of the first motorcycle course I took 30 years ago. My instructor told us to always wear gloves. When and if you ever come off your bike it is almost instinct to throw your hands out to break your fall. Instead, you break your arms or wrists but at least you will still have skin on your hands when you are done.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

You only put the latex gloves on just prior to exit.

and right after checking your camera...

:D

Sometimes I put my latex and outer glove on my alti hand just before getting on the plane, and other hand just prior to door.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I've never had a cutaway and am sort of worried about not being able to feel my handles. Any advice? Thx!

1 - Thin leather gloves help you grip better. That's why athletes wear them for so many different sports.

2 - You don't need to feel your handles. LOOK at them when you need them. (Do you have a metal or pillow reserve handle?)

3 - Everyone else is doing fine with gloves on. I'm sure you will too. :)

I was afraid of not being able to pull with my gloves on, so I used to just wear them in the plane and take them off just before jumping. my hands weren't numb or anything but they did kinda hurt while pulling on the toggles. in my last jump I decided to give it a chance (not before asking an instructor i trust if he thought it was o.k) and jumped with my gloves on. my grip on the ripcord actually improved and felt better, because my hands were all warm and cozy :P

don't wear any new gear or clothing you're not sure about before asking someone you trust at the DZ. that said, do what ever you can to make yourself fill comfortable while jumping. if you need to wear gloves- wear gloves.

Good advice. In fact, your instructors should make you wear gloves when jumping in the cold. It's USPA doctrine.

Always practice finding all 3 handles with your gloves on. For the cutaway and reserve handles you also need to use your eyeballs when finding those. :)

Batting gloves it is!

Mechanic's gloves are my recent choice. A little heavier, a little warmer, and no velcro closures to mess with.
:)

That's what I use in winter, baseball gloves in summer...

I never let my grabbers go 'nekid'! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I tired winter jumping without gloves.
My fingers turned white!
My tactile sensitivity declined dramatically!
My hands ached for half an hour after the jump!

Since then, I have always worn Columbia (downhill) ski gloves on winter jumps. They have plenty of insulation on the backs, but the fronts are thin leather to maintain touch sensitivity.
That being said, I still look at my handles and do several rounds of handle touches before boarding the airplane.

"

... neoprene scuba gloves. I think they would have kept my hands working at the projected 0 degrees. ...

"

Similarly, I wore light-weight, neoprene windsurfing gloves for years. They were great for keeping my hands flexible on cool days.

For a new years eve jump that never happened I looked hard and bought thin, neoprene scuba gloves. I think they would have kept my hands working at the projected 0 degrees.

As a Canadian jumper, we jump in freezing weather often. I have been using neoprene gloves and they are the BEST solution out there. I wear an extremely thin pair of microfleece gloves, with neoprene ice fishing gloves overtop. I don't have to worry about sweating, bulkiness, freezing hands etc.

Honestly, BEST solution out there and in my eyes...the safest.

It's always better to layer than to buy HUGE BULKY "warm" gloves. I have incredible dexterity with these gloves.
"When once you have tasted flight..."