Muffie

Why Don't You Jump Anymore?

I believe if you aren't currently jumping you shouldn't be on this site because after time you will forget things and give outdated advice

Sounds like you need to take a walk.

Re: PeteJonesAsshat;

I know it's so hard to resist, but if you'd all simply ignore this jerk and stop replying to any of his posts, he'll eventually fade into background noise. By buying into his lures, it just feeds his game. He lives for it.

no no! dont stop him now! im bored, and throughly enjoying this. petejones go on, continue your words of wisdom.

when can we start a poll on how petejones is gonna go in?
it surely needs to be started soon. we can put money on it, a gentlemen's bet, $1 should suffice

glad to know you have a death wish on me :S

oh im sure its gonna take more than that to bruise that monstrous ego of yours. why should you be worried about what us nay sayers say anyway, after all, you do know everything.
Jump more, Bitch less.

And after all, so many of the people in Bonfire (for example) are here for skydiving advice :P

I'd be far more scared of newbies giving advice they have no context for, than people giving potentially outdated advice.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Yes Wendy! I'm trying to come up with an example of advice that might be "outdated" and therefore potentially dangerous. It seems the stuff we learned so long ago still applies today. (After all, reminding someone not to twist a belly band is still good advice, in the event one actually has an opportunity to use a rig with belly band.)

Cheers,
Jon S.

Tomorrow will be 4 months since i left my DNA on the parking lot.

Just as soon as i think i can make a jump, and land without issues i'll get back on it. Right now it would simply be retarded to risk setting myself back so many months.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

So, I noticed that a decent number of posters on here have mentioned that they no longer jump or that they took an extended break from the sport and since I've run out of current posts to read (you'd think that wouldn't be possible) thought I'd start a poll to see what people's reasons for no longer jumping were. (Better than trying to wade through the Speaker's Corner.)

Hi Muf,
Just the opposite of your question would be,"Why don't you jump any less??" Who cares?? In terms of jumping a lot, there's a very fine line between "Passion" and "Addiction." At one point you live off chese & crackers and top ramen, live in a tent on a DZ and Jump every load that goes up!! BTDTGTTS. Seems like since my first hop I've spent my life either working on a DZ or in a Aerospace/Parachute related job and busmans' holidaying every weekend!! Somewhere along the line something happens. Had a few breaks here and there, the Indo-Chinese War was one of em' and others that kept me grounded for a while. One that will catch up to you sooner or later is the "Law of Diminishing Returns." Things happen, torqued my shoulder a few years ago, put me on the deck, shoulder got better but other things happened. My wife got sick and I wanted to look after her. The DZ got put on the back burner again. Peggy recently passed and my life fell apart. It wasn't Skydiving but Skydivers that were the glue that helped me hold my life together. Now as the song goes,"Ya' pick up the pieces and go on." So, I don't jump any more. I don't know that I jump any less either. My whole life has revolved around Skydiving. 'Still have my rig. It may be a while. I havn't left yet, the dream is still there.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Yeah well I feel its necessary because 99% of the time someone on here well ask a question and get lots of responses llike "talk with your instructors" and then i give them an answer that their instructor would give them

Then we are all lucky to have you here.

Thanks!

you wouldnt recognise sarcasm when it jumped on your face, would you!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

$$$$$
I used to be able to afford 10-12 jumps per weekend, and got to be pretty good. I have not worked at a job that allows me to turn those kind of numbers of jumps for SEVERAL years, and when you know how good you USED to be, jumping now is a bit of a "let down". I still do about 10 jumps a year, but end up doing Hop and Pops, Tracking Jumps, or just videoing some local belly fliers. That's a pretty far cry from the bigway headdown stuff I was so passionate about years ago.

:SBut I do get to talk to skydivers 40 hours a week. :S

Mark Klingelhoefer

Pardon me for reading the first post and just replying to it. I had forgotten that within an hour of posting something, it turns into a DZ.com Miniseries that has very little to do with the OP.

Pardon me for reading the first post and just replying to it. I had forgotten that within an hour of posting something, it turns into a DZ.com Miniseries that has very little to do with the OP.

Glad you did! That little mini drama has been jacking threads left and right and I personally am far more interested in responses to my actual question.;)

Never stopped but suffered a huge slowdown due to
1. Letting my Instructor rating lapse
2. Serious injury
3. Smaller DV cameras now mean everybody & their brother does video Seems like there are more cameras than skydivers on some jumps. Fewer people will pay for a videographer plus a slot and in some cases standards have lowered too. So after I allowed my ratings to lapse, and I got hurt (and the evac people cut up my camera suit) and my camera broke and I'd been working in the sport full time for 15 + years and was out of the "real world" work force, I suddenly found myself with no income and no way to skydive.
4. Then I broke a leg on my front steps (more dangerous than skydiving!) So that sort of killed a season. I was getting five jumps a year and when I hit ten jumps one year it actually felt good.

So I healed and got my rating back and finally did just short of 100 jumps last season. After averaging about 300+ a year for a few years.

The hope & plan is to be able to get back at working again, to add to my jumping and to pay for the fun ones, like it used to be.

The short version: Life got in the way. It does that.

Well its good thing for people like us to set everything in line

I just registered here and don't have much experience at all, but I do have enough experience to classify you as an ignorant jackass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”

I just registered here and don't have much experience at all, but I do have enough experience to classify you as an ignorant jackass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

usually PJ will point that out to you ,but a PA (personal attack) is a good was to get banned.. just saying.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

usually PJ will point that out to you ,but a PA (personal attack) is a good was to get banned.. just saying.

damn, didn't know the truth was something you could get banned for :P besides, his opinions/ignorance is a personal attack on everyones intelligence in here

actually it seems you just registered to attack me considering 2 of your 3 total posts(so far) have been attacks against me...
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

I got on here because I'm going to be getting certified this summer and a friend suggested it to me. Just because the first thread I read was bombarded with your ignorance and I responded to it, does not mean that I joined to attack you. Besides that's obviously what you want people to do anyways. I don't waste my time joining forums to argue with people that don't matter.

actually it seems you just registered to attack me considering 2 of your 3 total posts(so far) have been attacks against me...

That’s right Pete you are famous. They are lining up to get a chance at you. :S[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm a total newb here and to the sport, and don't yet know sh!t from shinola, but the fact that I know that, I feel, gives me an advantage on our good buddy PJ.

Unfortunantly, my favorite Abraham Lincoln quote keeps coming to mind here...

"No man knows less than the man who knows it all."
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.