Muffie

Why Don't You Jump Anymore?

So, I noticed that a decent number of posters on here have mentioned that they no longer jump or that they took an extended break from the sport and since I've run out of current posts to read (you'd think that wouldn't be possible) thought I'd start a poll to see what people's reasons for no longer jumping were. (Better than trying to wade through the Speaker's Corner.)

So, I noticed that a decent number of posters on here have mentioned that they no longer jump or that they took an extended break from the sport and since I've run out of current posts to read (you'd think that wouldn't be possible) thought I'd start a poll to see what people's reasons for no longer jumping were. (Better than trying to wade through the Speaker's Corner.)

I believe if you aren't currently jumping you shouldn't be on this site because after time you will forget things and give outdated advice
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

And after all, so many of the people in Bonfire (for example) are here for skydiving advice :P

I'd be far more scared of newbies giving advice they have no context for, than people giving potentially outdated advice.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I believe if you aren't currently jumping you shouldn't be on this site because after time you will forget things and give outdated advice

I don't know if I agree with not being on this site. Dropzone.com is still a community of people who love skydiving and I've seen some very active posters who don't try to give advice but are very much a part of this community. I've seen at least one other person comment in the Incidents thread on her own accident that made her realize it was time to quit the sport and I thought it was a very valuable post. And some folks may not be jumping anymore but they've forgotten more about this sport than I'll probably ever know and I count on the other guys with tons of experience to jump right in there and comment that times have changed if needed.

I don't really understand your answer. Are you saying it's better to have newbies giving advice to other newbies, than someone experienced who quit maybe 5 years ago?

If so, that's ignorance showing, because skydiving hasn't changed much in the last 5 years. Maybe small things (e.g. the low-bulk fabrics, freefly formations hadn't gotten as big, and I don't think that standards for judging wingsuit large-formation records were as well established), but not a whole lot else.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Kids/Family/Whuffo wife/Career/Mortgage. Stopped when my wife got pregnant with our first. Was not willing to skydive while my kids were younger and growing up. Resumed jumping once they were in their late teens and most of the raisin' of 'em was done.

Well its good thing for people like us to set everything in line

:D:D:D:D:D

Yup, good thing YOU'RE giving advice... [:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah well I feel its necessary because 99% of the time someone on here well ask a question and get lots of responses llike "talk with your instructors" and then i give them an answer that their instructor would give them
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Yeah well I feel its necessary because 99% of the time someone on here well ask a question and get lots of responses llike "talk with your instructors" and then i give them an answer that their instructor would give them

You're not an Examiner, Instructor, Coach, Rigger, Pilot or even a paid packer...

How exactly would YOU know what an instructor would say?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I am back in, but was out for several years. It was a combo of things.... My home DZ that I also worked at closed, and I was starting my career at the same time. So I went from getting paid to jump and a 15 min drive, to having to pay and drive 1.5 hrs. Most of my friends from my home DZ went their different ways. From there it just kinda creeps up on you.... Next thing you know its been a year... then two....then three.

I always missed it (and am glad I"m back) but it was also refreshing to get out for a while. Not being at the DZ 2-3 days a week(end) every week, no matter what the weather was had it's perks. Could spend time with friends/family...even watch football games! Was reminded there was life outside the DZ.

So now I"m back, and trying to find a better balance to keep me jumping but not having it take up my entire world. That was fine for a while in my life, but not so much anymore.

Z

let me give you some advice...most of these folks that "aren't currently jumping" have seen more shit than you can probably imagine, done more jumps than you probably ever will, and lived through several severe changes in the sport. that makes them more than qualified for them to give YOU, me and a lot of other people advice. in aviation (and that's kind of what skydiving is), you learn from case studies; best case studies are those that people survived.

thanks, but i'll take their advice over yours just about any day of the week. wait, just to be more clear, EVERYDAY.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

Then we are all lucky to have you here.

I picked "other"

Because it is cold and the DZ is closed. I have a great winter job and get paid to ski here in Utah and that is awesome.

I will go back to work at the DZ in March or April depending on weather. It is nice to have a break and do something different so you don't get burned out.
Onward and Upward!

I'm an instructor. Guaranteed, you don't know what advice I give or how I give it. :)
My in person interaction is nothing like it is on here because people such as yourself are here to correct me! B|

One thing I do agree with much of the time is... "talk with your instructor" is often not the best answer. Take a 500 jump instructor who has zero rigging experience, freeflying experience, and has never learned about canopy control progression. Ask him a question about suitable used gear. He may not have the background to answer. That could also suggest that you don't either! But, he may know who to ask.

That's just one simple scenario. If you talk to me face to face, I have an answer. It may be something I show you or teach you. It may also be walking you over to someone with a better answer.

Ok, since your posting background indicates you love to troll, and I fell for it, you recieve an A+ B|

Carry on.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You're not an Examiner, Instructor, Coach, Rigger, Pilot or even a paid packer...

How exactly would YOU know what an instructor would say?

um i pack parachutes for money haha, your argument has failed

Then we are all lucky to have you here.

Thanks!

>um i pack parachutes for money haha, your argument has failed

I remember starting in skydiving, packing DC-5's for a few bucks a pop. I think I started when I had 10 jumps; it paid for my first 50 jumps or so. I figured I was a hotshot - I was dressing students, helping out in FJC's and packing parachutes. And in retrospect I knew absolutely nothing about skydiving.

Sometimes it takes a while to recognize that.