KevinP

Saturday 22 Jan at Eloy (nothing impressive, just talk)

Hi all,

I decided to blow off some steam and had some time, so I rode up from Sierra Vista to Eloy yesterday. The intent was to try to get some unscheduled tunnel time, but I couldn't swing it. They had an opening at 4:00, but I had to get back to do some work before that, so it couldn't happen.

There were a couple of teams there. I saw Arizona Arsenal and a team from China. That's all I remember, but there may have been others. I was going to try to get the AA on video coming in. I was digging the synchronized landings, but I had to bail before they went back up. I hung out around the riggers watching them pack. I have watched several videos on youtube on packing and then seeing it in person made it make more sense. I spoke with one of the riggers (Sam) for about an hour. Good guy. He seemed talkative, and I'm inquisitive, so it worked out. But all of them (there were two girls and three guys, one on a unicycle :)
Anyway, it was a great time. I was able to forget about the Army and reports and school for a few hours and hear that sound of the suspension lines cutting through the air on fast approach (I like that as much as the sound of 125mph wind at freefall). And I saw a cut-away. They were operating two DZs (the main one and then one to the southeast). It was one of the jumpers on the SE DZ. I watched them track away from what looked like an 8-way. I see canopies opening and one looked like it was struggling to open. I glanced away and then when I looked back, there was a white canopy where that one was and the main was floating down on it's own. Like I have read here, it's not a matter of if, but when. But the reserve did what it was supposed to and that jumper will continue to enjoy the sport.

Sam, if you are here, thanks for chatting with me. And thanks to all those riggers who exhibited patience while I invaded your space. AND to all the jumpers.
Sincerely,
Kevin

I gotta agree with this.

Even if I can't jump, just hanging out at the DZ is a good time (I'm not in AZ, but it's the same anywhere). Good people, relaxing atmosphere, a chance to learn something.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And apparently I misused some terminology. With a drop zone being the larger area, I suppose I should have said that there were two LA's or landing areas. The "main" one, directly to the north of the spectator area and then the alternate (?) to the south east of the spectator area.

Sorry if that confused anyone.
Sincerely,
Kevin

I hung out around the riggers watching them pack...

There are "packers", and there are "riggers". The guys you see packing main parachutes for other skydivers are most likely packers - no license or anything is required to be a packer. A rigger, on the other hand, is specially certified by the FAA after rigorous training. They pack reserve parachutes, and do other parachute rig maintenance. So you don't want to confuse the two. Calling a packer a rigger is giving him more credit than he probably deserves, and lessens the status of the true riggers.

Glad you enjoyed hanging out and chatting - that's the best way to learn.

Calling a packer a rigger is giving him more credit than he probably deserves, and lessens the status of the true riggers.

True, but in the case of Eloy, a good portion of the official packers at Eloy are riggers. You need a rigging ticket to have a packing concession at he DZ, which has 2 or 3 stalls.

And Sam is a rigger. So is Coop (that crusty old brit ;)) if I'm not mistaking.
Remster

Calling a packer a rigger is giving him more credit than he probably deserves, and lessens the status of the true riggers.

True, but in the case of Eloy, a good portion of the official packers at Eloy are riggers. You need a rigging ticket to have a packing concession at he DZ, which has 2 or 3 stalls. And Sam is a rigger. So is Coop (that crusty old brit ;)) if I'm not mistaking.

Thanks for that info - didn't know that. I'm impressed.

You need to have one to own a concession, and then you can employ one or 2 others who dont need to have their tickets.

I presume that's to cover them with the FAA rule that requires that parachute packers be supervised by a rigger, a rule that is very loosely complied with at most DZ's.