ninja707

traveling with rig.

I am going to be traveling with my rig and had a few questions about airport security (tsa). Has anyone had them ask you to unpack your canopies? Im only really worried about the reserve because Im going somewhere where there are no DZ'S around and I dont think i will find a rigger to repack it for me. I want to take it as carryon but having them check it worries me, and I dont really want it under the plane where something might happen to it. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks
you dont need a parachute to skydive, only to skydive twice!!!!!!!!

this has been asked ad nauseum.

goto the website for your AAD mfg, get the x-ray card
goto the USPA website and get the letter for the TSA

put your rig inside another bag if you can, don't advertise you have a rig, be nice.

you will have no problem.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Put a bright colored pull up cord tied around the reserve handle, so some idiot can't pull it, then simply be polite, they have delt with parachutes before...(bright color so you don't forget to remove it when you get where you're going)

If you use your cheststrap there is even less chance of jumping with the reserve handle tied down.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I traveled with m rig last summer and went through TSA with it as a carry on. i didn't put it in a bad but did tie down the reserve handle. i had no problems walked right through like it was nothing. i have heard however of people have the TSA calling other agents over to see what a parachute looks like in the x-ray machine. there is another thread on it here is one. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3264630;search_string=traveling;#3264630 i have been told but i don't think that it's true that the TSA can't touch your reserve because they are not FAA certified rigger and you have the right to ask for one to open it and repack it in front of you (but again not sure if it's true).

I've jumped out of chartered helicopters without a dropzone.

Yep - it's been done before. ;)

But I found my answer in another thread.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

i have been told but i don't think that it's true that the TSA can't touch your reserve because they are not FAA certified rigger and you have the right to ask for one to open it and repack it in front of you (but again not sure if it's true).

You're correct - it isn't true - that is, the TSA can ask for whatever they want. They once told me that I had to unpack my main and reserve. They gave me some bullshit story that it was just approved mandatory procedure, but wouldn't show me the document specifying it, and wouldn't confirm the real std procedure that USPA worked out with them to streamline our carrying them on. I even had a copy of that procedure document, they lied and said it had been superseded. I realize they can ask for the reserve to be opened, but they were saying it always had to be, for every instance. You could spend hours trying to convince the TSA that they should or shouldn't do something.

It really comes down to whatever mood they're in, regardless of what they are supposed to do. Plan accordingly, which means have a bag that you can put it in for check in if needed.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

FYI:Be carefull securing the reserve handle as indicated you do not want to forget to unsecure it.

I have traveled this past year dozens of times on multiple airlines with my rig. They may inquire a bit at the security gate, in a worse case calling a supervisor to look at it. Be sure to take out your hook knife if applicable. Do Not check it, just bring it on as a carry on secured in a bag like suggested above. It is an easy process.
Once they did do a swipe to check for chemicals which took a few minutes. Again no issues.

Putting it in a bag is super helpful, if for nothing else then your handles not being touched, you don't get a million "is that a parachute?" questions. The last time I flew with my rig I didn't have a stash bag for it and just walked on with it. The TSA workers just asked if it was a parachute and said cool. I also don't have an aad, if you do make sure you have the proper paperwork for it and you shouldn't have any problems.

have some fun jumps when you get there.
dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things

I am going to be traveling with my rig and had a few questions about airport security (tsa). Has anyone had them ask you to unpack your canopies? Im only really worried about the reserve because Im going somewhere where there are no DZ'S around and I dont think i will find a rigger to repack it for me. I want to take it as carryon but having them check it worries me, and I dont really want it under the plane where something might happen to it. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=traveling%20with%20rigs&sb=score&mh=25
A simple search most of the time will get you the answer you need
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!