shah269

N00Bs here is a thought

N:)Here is a thought and pros please chime in on this.
It's the middle of winter. If you have a rig then practice packing and unpacking it while watching TV.
If you can do it in under a commercial brake you are doing well. I'm just about there.

Also, look at Facebook. Some of the guys and gals from your DZ who aren't swoop gods may have put up a video of two of themselves via head mounted gopro's And these videos may include landings. Watch these videos and actually move your arms as if you are about to land. Get that muscle memory going. Get your brain use to seeing where things on the ground are and what the appropriate flare height is.

Pro's what do you think? Good idea or what?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I'm just another noob.

Packing is fine if that is what you want to do. I prefer not to pack my canopy unnecessarily and put extra wear and tear on it.

I think practicing landings by watching videos of people flying very, very differnet canopies at very different wing loadings is at best useless and at worst might train you in some bad timing. That's just me though.

How about going out to FreezeFest and actually jumping?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

If you can do it in under a commercial brake ...

Just make sure the truck or other commercial vehicle you are working under has been properly secured by sturdy jacks. Otherwise, good advice.

Some of the guys and gals from your DZ who aren't swoop gods may have put up a video of two of themselves via head mounted gopro's And these videos may include landings. Watch these videos and actually move your arms as if you are about to land. Get that muscle memory going. Get your brain use to seeing where things on the ground are and what the appropriate flare height is.

How will you know if your movements are correct? Youtube can't provide feedback.

- Dan G

The packing idea is pretty good, although you could develop bad habits as you don't know how well you are packing. You may be packing line twists or hard openings but I guess if you can do it in under 5 minutes so you can make the next load its all good right?

Meh. You can give yourself bad packing habits without feedback as well.

Better to practice a pack job once, then take it to someone who knows what they are doing and unfurl it in front of them. That way you can check for potential problems.

Then go home and pack for a week, then get some more feedback.

Watching youtube videos to help you land is a stupid idea. Not all of us have as many issues under lightly loaded student canopies as shah does.

It's better than the N00Bs taking your Loveline advice;)

Yeah ... He definitely isn't going to be taking Dr. Drew's place anytime soon.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

If you can do it in under a commercial brake ...

Just make sure the truck or other commercial vehicle you are working under has been properly secured by sturdy jacks. Otherwise, good advice.

Some of the guys and gals from your DZ who aren't swoop gods may have put up a video of two of themselves via head mounted gopro's And these videos may include landings. Watch these videos and actually move your arms as if you are about to land. Get that muscle memory going. Get your brain use to seeing where things on the ground are and what the appropriate flare height is.

How will you know if your movements are correct? Youtube can't provide feedback.

C'mon, give the guy a brake, will ya?;)

Shah, watching videos might inspire, but you may well pick up some bad ideas, and a GoPro lens distorts the view so much...that's not the sight picture you'd want to be developing anyway.
Youtube is great entertainment tho!

It's better than the N00Bs taking your Loveline advice;)

Yeah ... He definitely isn't going to be taking Dr. Drew's place anytime soon.

I miss that thread! It was a disaster someone has to bring it back to life.

I found a few guys and gals who are jumping 1:1 and are flying straight forward left had runs. Watching the video and seeing their POV is really for me a great way of seeing what things "should" look like.

As for the packing, sadly there aren't any good videos out YET. But I had a very good instructor and I took good notes so I think...key workd here in think...that I'm doing a good job. I've had friends come over who have more experience than I and so far it looks as if I'm on track. And let's face it it's easier to practice packing if you are not in a hurry to catch the next ride up. Remember you guys with thousand of jumps, material controll for you is second nature, for n:)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I miss that thread! It was a disaster someone has to bring it back to life.

I found a few guys and gals who are jumping 1:1 and are flying straight forward left had runs. Watching the video and seeing their POV is really for me a great way of seeing what things "should" look like.

As for the packing, sadly there aren't any good videos out YET. But I had a very good instructor and I took good notes so I think...key workd here in think...that I'm doing a good job. I've had friends come over who have more experience than I and so far it looks as if I'm on track. And let's face it it's easier to practice packing if you are not in a hurry to catch the next ride up. Remember you guys with thousand of jumps, material controll for you is second nature, for n:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiAegc8EOw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyM_LkW8DVI&feature=related

Pro's what do you think? Good idea or what?

my idea is : get video of you flapping your arms while you are swooping your rug. And avoid colliding with your sofa. :D

Swooping the rug! Oh yeah! But what if she got a Brazilian? :P

For me the videos helped and I think will help.
I wish there were a few good POV videos out there shot with people flying 1:1. And one of a ground view.
Would greatly help people learn what to "look" for.

As for the packing, sadly there aren't any good videos out YET.

Pack Like a Pro. Not on Youtube, but it actually walks you through pro packing and includes tips from riggers, etc.
The Youtube videos by Nick Grillet of PD :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I am new to the sport as well. A comment that I would make is trying to pack in a commercial brake sounds like a rush job to me. I know that after time packing speed can be increased while maintaining a good safe pack job, however this thread will be read by "noobs" who should never rush a pack job. Also there was a comment about packing and wear on the chute, if done properly does this really cause wear to the equipment??? I dont think it would. I also beleive that as new jumpers there is a definite need to first get the proper training and your packing endorsment before packing on your own. As a new jumper I pack and pack until I know my gear inside and out. NOT RUSHING!

I have the video "Packing made simple" and I like it a lot.

...Pro's what do you think?

The blind leading the blind...;)

You know....here is a dumb thought....if one of the pros coudl barrow a large parachute and strap on a head cam and maybe....just maybe fly a standard student flight path and post said video online with a bit of a voice over regarding, when they turned, how they turned their head and that they were checking for traffic....it could do some good?

I'm lucky there is a guy at my DZ who does not swoop and happens to have a few videos up, and watching his landings I can put a mental picture to about how high I would be off the ground. For me it's worked.

The packing, any excuse to have friends over is a good one if you ask me. And if it's to help you catch something wrong when your packing while you are in your living room better than if you are at the DZ an everyone is running around. And your average length of comercials breaks is what...10min? Not bad.

...Pro's what do you think?

The blind leading the blind...;)

You know....here is a dumb thought....if one of the pros coudl barrow a large parachute and strap on a head cam and maybe....just maybe fly a standard student flight path and post said video online with a bit of a voice over regarding, when they turned, how they turned their head and that they were checking for traffic....it could do some good?

I'm lucky there is a guy at my DZ who does not swoop and happens to have a few videos up, and watching his landings I can put a mental picture to about how high I would be off the ground. For me it's worked.

The packing, any excuse to have friends over is a good one if you ask me. And if it's to help you catch something wrong when your packing while you are in your living room better than if you are at the DZ an everyone is running around. And your average length of commercials breaks is what...10min? Not bad.

Yer overthinking it engineer d00d...that's like me saying strap a go-pro on your scooter lid and talk me through scraping pegs on the S turns.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yer overthinking it engineer d00d...that's like me saying strap a go-pro on your scooter lid and talk me through scraping pegs on the S turns.

Actaully I think riding is much easier than flying.
You have more controlls on a bike than in the air.
You can add or reduce power for one.
Also there are some rather amazing videos out there regarding learning how to ride better via body bike connection.

Actaully I think riding is much easier than flying.
You have more controlls on a bike than in the air.
You can add or reduce power for one.
Also there are some rather amazing videos out there regarding learning how to ride better via body bike connection.

ya' think?
How many control inputs do you have on bike vs canopy/rig?;)

ya' think?

The day you can scew up a landing, power out go around and try again...things will be different.
Untill then you have just one shot to get your feet safely on the ground.

See on a bike, you can start off slow and hit the same turn over and over again and slowly add more power and more lean. It's not the same in this sport.
Too much time between landings.

ya' think?

The day you can scew up a landing, power out go around and try again...things will be different.
Untill then you have just one shot to get your feet safely on the ground.

See on a bike, you can start off slow and hit the same turn over and over again and slowly add more power and more lean. It's not the same in this sport.

I'd suggest you change up your thought process. Time between landings is controlled by packing/climb. That gives you time to think (good thing).
Outside of that, that's *exactly* what you do; hit the same turn over and over again, learning the angle and sight picture.
While the canopy cannot "power up" like a bike, you can induce/reduce power and angle of turn.
All of this can be learned with an instructor, but not via YouTube.
I like your packing between commercials idea.

You nailed it...THAT's how ya get better, more landings and less time between them.

The bike analogy is accurate if you take out the going slow part, like I said through the s turns scraping pegs...fast the FIRST time.

With both sports it's art and science, you have to develop a feel for the situation, how much input and when to apply it...you 'feel' that as much as see it. A video won't give you an accurate depiction and may clutter up the hard drive with incorrect garbage.

The way to learn how to land YOUR canopy right as a n00b, is to go land your canopy...a lot.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~