cocheese

What is killing the sport of skydiving?

I heard a friend say it was AFF. Maybe it's tandems.

Is the sport really dying or just leveling off?

Has this been discussed a lot already?

1 800 Skyride is killing skydiving because when the customer tries to use a GC, they find that is so difficult that they either never make a second jump or say fuck it and don't jump at all and tell all their friends that skydiving is just a bunch of bogus bullshit.

but to answer your question, unfriendly or stupid management, blown-up egos (which might be the same as the first point), change of interests, and last but not least, economical reasons.. at least that's how i see it.

i'm only a tourist, so what do i know..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I heard a friend say it was AFF. Maybe it's tandems.

Is the sport really dying or just leveling off?

Has this been discussed a lot already?

1 800 Skyride is killing skydiving because when the customer tries to use a GC, they find that is so difficult that they either never make a second jump or say fuck it and don't jump at all and tell all their friends that skydiving is just a bunch of bogus bullshit.

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner! If Skyride is allowed to continue to fleece our sport, the demise of Skydiving is eminent.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Sorry; much as they suck, Skyrice is not killing skydiving. They're an impact, but they just don't affect enough students to be a primary reason. Really.

We're getting lots and lots of tandem students, and plenty are showing up at other non-SR dzs all over the country. Obviously skydiving isn't for everyone, and with tandem an even larger percentage aren't goign to continue. But we have to look inside, not outside, the average DZ to find out why they're not staying.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think as of now the economy(layoffs, no raises), fuel prices(planes, and cars), and the inflated cost of the whole lot, travel, food, cost of gear, etc. Is killing it for the people I know personally, and have discussed this topic with.

Back in 2005ish time frame we would go every other weekend and stay in a hotel and jump both days, now its once a month and we only stay one day.

Edited to add, this might not be killing the sport but it is killing the number of jumps and money we spend at the DZ, which money and interest is what runs the DZ which is what skydiving is for us.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Sorry; much as they suck, Skyrice is not killing skydiving. They're an impact, but they just don't affect enough students to be a primary reason. Really.

We're getting lots and lots of tandem students, and plenty are showing up at other non-SR dzs all over the country. Obviously skydiving isn't for everyone, and with tandem an even larger percentage aren't goign to continue. But we have to look inside, not outside, the average DZ to find out why they're not staying.

Wendy P.

Plus, Jumpdude's anti-skyride website is doing an awesome job of re-directing potential tandem customers away from Skyride and back to the honest DZs, thus reducing Skyride's impact on the sport. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't like Skyride's business model and dishonesty, but they can't be blame for every thing under the sun.

But I thought I heard Mubarak blame Skyride for the unrest in Egypt. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't like Skyride's business model and dishonesty, but they can't be blame for every thing under the sun.

But I thought I heard Mubarak blame Skyride for the unrest in Egypt. ;)

So Wael Ghonim works for Skyride? Damm him! DAMM HIM!!!!!
Remster

Take a look at skiing for some parallels.

Skiing was always cool but plain old skiing started to fall from fashion (got boring maybe?) and the numbers of weekend skiers, the bread and butter of the industry, started to plummet to the point where mountains were closing.

Along came snow boarding and many new and younger enthusiasts came out and in some sense saved the day. However looked down upon by the old school as they were for their conflicting style of descent and style in general they eventually supplanted the "two plankers" for mountain supremacy.

Along comes some new gear for the skiers in the form of "shaped skis" which turns the tide and the once fashionable then unfashionable swing back into prominence.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What do the new and prospective new want to do? They want to do what they observe on You Tube. "That wing suit stuff" -or- "That BASE jumping stuff"

The ebbs and tides of skydiving "disiplines" and popularity are driven by both the image we observe internally as well as that which we promote publicly.

When this many students come to the DZ expecting to find the fast track to their desired Red Bull Club membership only to find that it ain't so easy as they had hoped what else could we expect? They are going to become disillusioned, thankfully, and bail for the next quick rush.

We aren't doing anything wrong in promoting the sport. As a matter of fact we are pumping prospectives into the sport as never before with the facility of tandems and AFF training. What I do feel we are doing a poor job of is not indoctrinating the newer skydivers into the depth of wisdom that we have built over the past half century. Why allow them to make the mistakes of too-fast progression that we know kills? Why do so few hang out after jumping when the real benefit of "No shit there I was" stories is both entertainment and knowledge.

Don't fault the sport for the loss of the student that comes looking for his illusion. He wasn't going to stay long anyway. Fault those with a lack of social embrace for those with realistic expectations and goals.

jon

Skydiving is alive and well in spite of challenges from a difficult economy. Lots of adventure to be had, lots of people to jump with at hundreds of nice drop zones. More options now than ever in what type of skydiving you can choose to participate in; FS, VRW, FF, CF, S&A, swooping, wingsuits, whatever. There are more gear options than ever as well. You can find large boogies, small boogies, competitions, international events, big-way/records, coaches, multiple turbine DZs, zoo dives, tubes, high altitude, jumps with inflatible toys...and the list goes on damn near every weekend. Or you can simply go make a hop and pop if searching for a few minutes of solitude.

Try not to be so negative...nothing is "killing" skydiving. Go out and make some skydives and maybe you will change your mind... :S

Wendy P.

Plus, Jumpdude's anti-skyride website is doing an awesome job of re-directing potential tandem customers away from Skyride and back to the honest DZs, thus reducing Skyride's impact on the sport. B|

B|B|B|
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

You would be correct Billy. I occasionally hear some positive chatter about that very topic here at the DZ's and I've heard a couple of happy customers who got directed to Emerald Coast and Opelika talking about it when I asked them how they found the DZ.

My personal feeling is we've made jumping too safe. Used to be if you were the type who could do this you were a different breed. Now anyone can learn. It's not so unique anymore.

I agree, we used to be cool. Now skydivers just seem like a bunch of dorks.
Onward and Upward!