jrmrangers

shipping a rig internationally

I saw a rig in the classifieds today that is pretty much just what ive been searching for, problem is its in Ireland and im in the U.S. I pretty much figured its not an option but i was wondering if anyone has any insight on shipping a rig internationaly. ( i.e. the cost, how long it would take, customs issues) thanks in advance.
Wait , I pull what first?

Shipping a rig fully insured can easily cost £150 - £220 ($240 - $350) depending on your chosen method.

I'm afraid that i'm not 100% certain on the tax aspect, but your local tax office should be able to give you an idea...

The alternative is to ask around and see if anyone could bring the rig over on their next visit to the US.

Usually if you offer someone $100 - $160 they'll happily forfeit some of their luggage space and can even possibly drop it off at a nearby DZ.

There are a whole bunch of people heading over to the US from the UK over the next few months ...

You could ask on one of the irish websites or try www.ukskydiver.co.uk which is the main UK site

Regards

James

WOW!! i didnt think it would be that much for shipping , thanx for the info.

I recently sold my rig, shipping via UPS was $100-ish and that was just from FL to TX.

(27lb, insured for selling price)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I recently sold my rig, shipping via UPS was $100-ish and that was just from FL to TX.

you overpaid 3x - you probably didn't pay for "shipping" but rather for "packing + shipping" at one of the places like the UPS Store or similar

you overpaid 3x - you probably didn't pay for "shipping" but rather for "packing + shipping" at one of the places like the UPS Store or similar

I packaged it myself, the shipping wasn't the expensive part, the $4,300 insurance was.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I packaged it myself, the shipping wasn't the expensive part, the $4,300 insurance was.

at their rate of 75c per $100, it's still $32.25 for insurance which leaves $67.75 for freight charges - and that's about $40 too high :(

sorry, I hate when people pay exuberant amount for shipping, especially when it's skydiving gear, when we all bitch and whine about jump ticket money. I bet you wasted close to two good full alti jumptickets worth :(