npgraphicdesign

Are you still afraid of the door?

The opening of the door scares the shit out of me. Only 23 jumps though. For some reason I feel like I'm gonna get sucked out of the plane. LOL. Ridiculous I know.

I had my JM ask me once..."why are you nervous? afraid you'll fall out?" and start laughing...which made me realize that well DUH i plan on falling out....helped for a second, but then i was nervous again lol

The opening of the door scares the shit out of me. Only 23 jumps though. For some reason I feel like I'm gonna get sucked out of the plane. LOL. Ridiculous I know.

I had my JM ask me once..."why are you nervous? afraid you'll fall out?" and start laughing...which made me realize that well DUH i plan on falling out....helped for a second, but then i was nervous again lol

Any uncomfortableness (is that a word) I have from being near an open door is not so much about the falling from the plane but where you are when you fall from the plane. If I was too comfortable I’d take it as a sign of me being a little complacent. Unplanned off drop zone landings can cause a little anxiety. It is one thing to land off from a bad spot at one of the “regular” next to the dz landing choices but another thing to have to choose a place to land while under canopy that you haven’t scoped out before, possibly a good distance from the dz . Now ideally your climb to altitude will keep you close enough to the dz that you will always be able to make it back but that is not always the case. Even if the only problems landing far out causes are missing the opportunity to do your planned dive and screwing up the people you were to jump with (hardcore good friends would follow you out) or losing jumping time while you find your way back to the dz, I’ll continue to be cautious (afraid) close to the door.

I’ll add, even when you accidentally fall into a swimming pool you planned on jumping in anyway, it can startle you if you’re not ready for it.

Low jump number here so I'm sorry I cant say much.
I've spotted and well I can do that. I can get to the door and lift it...I can do that.
It's all about the flight up. Yeah I feel the tension I feel the stress. And since I'm usually the only fun jumper I can relate to how the tandems feel.
I've actually held a hand of a tandem and told them all will be well. Or have told them to breathe they are turning blue.
That really helps. Breathing. Focusing on having a great flight. And looking around smiling and trying to find your Zen.
And I know this sounds dumb, but for me....it's like kissing a girl you have a crush on. That tension, that anticipation and then woooooshhhhh....life is goooood!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

A buddy of mine and I swung our feet out the otter door at around 1500 when the door went up and sat there having a conversation about how we have to be a little off in the head to be that comfortable sitting out there like that.

Sissies!

Try flying nap-of-the-earth in a Twin Huey - with the doors open!
By NOE, I mean looking up at tree tops and telephone poles! ... and the only time you are looking DOWN at the ground is when he is in a steeply-banked turn!
Hah!
Hah!

Yes!
After 4,400 tandems, I still fear the door.
It seems that every time I try to duck my head out the door, the student tries to stand up in the door. You would not believe the number of scratches and dents in my helmet!

These days I wear a hard-shell HR2 helmet, similar to the Bell motorcycle helmet I wore when I first started freefalling.

Closed door...not good.
Gimme an open door any time...especially so at low altitudes.
Well, except for take-off. I think you bozos who want a door open on take-off are total, well, bozos.

When the shit hits the fan, the last thing I want is to be pinned to the ceiling trying to get the door open.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Closed door...not good.
Gimme an open door any time...especially so at low altitudes.
Well, except for take-off. I think you bozos who want a door open on take-off are total, well, bozos.

When the shit hits the fan, the last thing I want is to be pinned to the ceiling trying to get the door open.

And when making a low pass for someone I have my helmet and goggles on and I'm ready to jump. If something goes wrong with their exit (hanging a canopy off the rear stabilizer) and we need to get out, I’m out of there.(On the pilots command of course.)

I have really low jump numbers but I know that I like sitting as close to the door as possible. If something goes wrong I want to be able to get out and with 9 or 10 jumpers sitting in between the door and I makes me nervous.
It's time for my nightly ritual: Pleasure myself, weep, and repeat.

anything with a tailgate :D the skyvan is awesome. jumped out of a CASA as well (the one used in James Bond's The world is not enough- it still has the livery used in the film) a few years ago at the vector festival and the door was controlled in the cockpit so the pilot didnt close it til maybe 4000 ft and as he climbed you had a perfect view of the runway- amazing planes. am i afraid of the door? im afraid of it not opening ;)
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

I'm always very careful at the edge of the ramp because if I fall off the ridicule will last far, far longer than the freefall will.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Door fear? None for me. I LOVE to sit in the open door on a summer day on the way to altitude.

However, I know several experienced jumpers who are afraid of falling out of the plane prematurely. If they find themselves close to the open door on the way to altitude, I will often hold their hand or quietly put my hand on the yoke of their harness... they know I am holding them (and feel better for it) but it isn't obvious to others on the plane.

DOOORRRRRR!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I get afraid of the door when I'm in the corner and we're launching an 8way...

Untill you've done no show 10 way chunk exits out of a DC-3, you don't know what a door really is. ;)

The trick is going through the DOOR (that's the open space part). Not the DOORFRAME. :)
edited to add reference to DC-3
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

this reminds me of a low pass we did for some H&P's... guy was spotting and we were a bit further south of the normal path.. so he leaned out a bit too far to see back under the airplane... and out he fell.. it was a bit comical.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930