npgraphicdesign

Are you still afraid of the door?

Don't know what happened this weekend, but for one jump I was frightened of the Skyvan door. We were doing a 9 way, and I was inching towards the open door like it was a frickin' alligator pit! My buddy who was behind me was laughing so hard that he said it helped relax him for the jump. :P:D:ph34r:

Of course, several jumps later, i had to actually open the Skyvan door, and I had no problems with doing it!! Just stepped up, lifted it, and was ready to go...and still have no idea what the hell happened the first time. :D

How many of you are still afraid of sitting or standing close to the open door for whatever reason? And, what is your favorite 'door'? I love the Skyvan exit but hate the door.

It happens. Even now, every once in a while the Door-Monster will sneak up in my mind. A deep breath and a smile puts it to rest for me. It was worst when I did a lot of tandems in a day and then snuck on a sunset sport jump. I would sit in the plane feeling like I was forgetting something because I didn't have a lot of harness, extra handles and a student to check over before the exit.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I get afraid of the door when I'm in the corner and we're launching an 8way...

Pussy! That's the best slot because you get to spend the next day counting bruises underneath your left arm.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My Level 7 jump in aff (first Solo) was on a full load in a skyvan. I was first out so on the ride up i was right on the edge of the bench looking down through the gap. I couldn't wait for the door to open so i could jump the hell out.B|

Sweet.
Skvan. Sitting "in" the door. Seat belt attached to leg strap. Camera helmet on. Leaning out the door and under the aircraft for take off video.
Got splashed in the face once when we went through a puddle.
Then you can sit upright with your legs dangling out...helps to ventilate the jumpsuit when someone farts in it.
:P
I don't know that I've ever been 'afraid' of the door per se...maybe not comfortable until we get 600-700 feet...but still.
I LOVE the door.B|

>Are you still afraid of the door?

I am. That damn door on Shark with the broken piece on the bottom always gets stuck on the way down. I'm going to lose a finger on that thing one of these days. And the door on Gypsy is so loose that it's going to slam down hard enough to break someone's foot one of these days.

And the skyvan door is a real bitch to open when you have a camera helmet on and the plane is bouncing around trying to stay in formation.

It's always colder at altitude. No matter the nerves going up, once that door opens and that fresh cold air washes over me I know its time to go. Thats the moment my brain switches into go time and the my world is at peace. It is an amazingly calm feeling and Ive learned to anticipate that. People bitch about being cold on the way to altitude but it just relaxes me now.

I hate having to work the Skyvan door. This is when being able to bat my eyes and asking a big, strong man to do it for me comes in handy. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was completely freaked out by the door (sitting next to it in Caravan) for my first twenty jumps or so...took a while for me to just poke my hand out.

Every now and then it creeps in on me, but leaves as soon as I'm actually in the door checking my spot.

It's usually when there is something different. Last jump was without an alti and I was kind of spooked by the door until I was out. I would say it sneaks up on me maybe 10%-15% of the time....it's kind of fun, keeps me grounded and reminds me that any jump could be the last and I appreciate the jump more.

Haha yep.. although actually my first and only skyvan jump i did at perris i wasn't afraid at all because i liked the idea of just stepping back and falling into oblivion lol.. but, at my home dz with the PAC 750 and occasional cessna 182 jumps, i still get it now and then. i HATE being first out sometimes, and other times i just get anxious waiting and counting and figuring when i am supposed to go.. lol go figure. but, i am a newb. i do NOT like opening/closing the door, sitting in that spot, or spotting beyond sticking my head out to ensure i see the dz and no traffic (i know i know i need to get more comfortable w/ it) but mostly, my "monster" is opening time monster more than the "door monster" lately lol... a few mals didn't help gain any confidence in that arena, but hopefully getting comfy on my own rig and more jumps will kill off the door monster and the pull monster, at least for the most part :)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

also i think i get door fear mostly now when the door opens low to let a low pass/hop and pop out (or god forbid, i'm the hop n pop smooshed in the open door that "low" lol)

i loved the skyvan, thought it would terrify me in the door thinking (over-thinking) it during dirt dive, but now thinking back, it was a 5 way exit, and once the door opened and we did our thing, no fear... mighta gotten the heebie jeebies a bit if i had to open it myself, spot myself, and then exit solo!

i will say i have total cessna door fear though, lol but that's for verifiable, personal, and highly legit reasons :P and since i am one o' those spoiled turbine brats, i deal when i have to, which luckily is not often..

blue ones.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

There's a hole in the lower leading edge of the door in my DZ's C-182 so when you're in the student spot (1st out) you can see the ground underneath the aircraft which is fine and doesn't bother me... Until we're on Jump run and I see the airport and the edge of a runway slipping into view. Then my heart starts racing a little and the pilot makes the cut... Then I get scared but the door opening and my climb out is fine and once I'm out of the door its gravy from there. But jump run and the cut are my "monsters".

i dont know why, probably has something to do with my low jump count. but i have no problem getting in the plane, the ride to altitude....

BUT once the door opens and people start to leave i get really nervous...and once my JM tells me to take my place in the door...im fine again. i enjoy standing there ready to go and have a blast on the way down....;)

im hoping to get more used to this feeling so that i can focus on having a good jump and less on the sweaty palms and fogging jump goggles [:/]