ShayneH

Health Insurance

Hi folks,

I've been looking into getting health insurance lately. I do not have a job that offers any, so I figured that I would ask around here.

What do you guys suggest? Are there any insurance companies that will consider skydivers not high-risk? Or should I just keep quiet about the fact that I skydive and twist facts a bit if a hospital visit comes around?

Looking for advice from jumpers who have insurance, but not through their job.

Shop around. And be honest. It will be difficult to twist the facts when the helicopter is sent to the DZ to medivac your ass after you femur in. I was looking aboud with a possible change of role recently, and, for example, HealtNet did not have any activity restrictions for the individual plan I was looking at.

Obviously, YMMV.
Remster

Your looking at 3-5 dollars per thousand of coverage per month. It goes by how many jumps you make a year usually under 50-100 to over 100 per year, and if your licensed using current gear.

Ive done alot of shopping, and this was about all the same answers I got from the insurance writers.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

It goes by how many jumps you make a year usually under 50-100 to over 100 per year, and if your licensed using current gear.

Wow, I had no idea that insurance companies were skydiving savvy enough to make considerations like that.

Do they raise or lower the rates if you make over 100 a year?

Your looking at 3-5 dollars per thousand of coverage per month. It goes by how many jumps you make a year usually under 50-100 to over 100 per year, and if your licensed using current gear.

Ive done alot of shopping, and this was about all the same answers I got from the insurance writers.

Thankfully health insurance isn't priced like life insurance.

I'd recommend you talk to an insurance broker, or use an online broker (www.ehealthinsurance.com) is a good one). No matter which route you take, you're going to need to contact the insurance provider and ask for a copy of the full details of the contract (alternately called Evidence of Coverage or Certificate of Coverage or just the Policy) for the plan you're choosing. Within that document you will want to look for "exclusions" or "limitations." That's the section that will let you know if they will not cover you for injuries sustained doing certain types of activities.

You really need to dig into the full documents, not the slick marketing brochures that'll be 3-4 pages of high level info.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

i have "fallen off a ladder" dislocated shoulder and "tripped playing frisbee" strained ligament in finger.

you gotta do what you gotta do. make your own decision about it because when it comes down to it, it is your ass on the line.

And you have almost admitted to committing insurance fraud on a public internet website. You might want to think about that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

yeah,,and if you are unconsious and aren't in any condition to talk when you get to the ER ? or need an ambulace ride or heli ride out ? Yeah, you gota rock solid plan there.......:S

Hence why I'm here asking for other people's advice. No need be smug over a discussion of health insurance LOL You should heed your signature more ;)

Hence why I'm here asking for other people's advice. No need be smug over a discussion of health insurance LOL You should heed your signature more ;)

Okay, here's the non-smug answer. Counting on insurance fraud as your plan for dealing with skydiving injuries is possibly as big a financial risk as going without insurance at all. Possibly larger as you could get slapped with fines or penalties for committing said fraud.

I think if you get out there and start actually contacting insurance companies in your state you will be able to find a health insurance plan that does not exclude skydiving activities. You'll probably be able to find several. Based on purely anecdotal evidence it seems that life insurance policies are far more likely than health insurance policies to have exclusions for high-risk activities. Of course, you still need to do your homework and read the fine print.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

yeah,,and if you are unconsious and aren't in any condition to talk when you get to the ER ? or need an ambulace ride or heli ride out ? Yeah, you gota rock solid plan there.......:S

you gotta do what you gotta do. make your own decision about it because when it comes down to it, it is your ass on the line.

never said it was a good idea.

edited to add: i just spoke with my insurance company and skydiving is NOT excluded.:)
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."