skydivercowboy

need advice on Tempo 150 reserve

I haven't seen one (a turn) on the two I've jumped (and I am being well versed in built in turns).
Any canopy can have bad manners, i'm sure Tempo is no exception. That being said They are thick fluffy 7 cell canopies that fly like a, well, a sponge. A little input here or there to correct a slight turn will probably go un noticed, unlike the large piss spot on ones groin.

One of the rides I had was from terminal. I thought it opened as hard as the 2 sub terminal openings I had, which I found odd. But then again I was in the middle of saying a short prayer to baby Jeasus and the wee lil donkey, so maybe I didn't notice as much:)

I’ve got two rides, each on a different Tempo 150. They both flew straight and landed well. I wrapped the brake lines a couple of times around my hands to get more of a flare on landing. Compared to my main, they were doggish, but for a reserve, they were great.

I wrapped the brake lines a couple of times around my hands to get more of a flare on landing.

For others... If you are going to do this trick, make sure you practice the flare before you land. It is very easy to flare and stall any canopy, worse when you modify it. A stall is violent, and a stall on landing normally hurts like hell.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Compared to my main, they were doggish, but for a reserve, they were great.

It would be hard to make a fat celled F-111 7-cell canopy flare as well as a high aspect ration, ZP semi elliptical 9-cell canopy. Reserves are designed to be reliable, not high performance. ;)

I recommend doing a practice flare on the way down with your reserve. I've seen reserves that had the brake lines too short, IMHO, and stalled when the jumper flared. Not good.

I wrapped the brake lines a couple of times around my hands to get more of a flare on landing.

For others... If you are going to do this trick, make sure you practice the flare before you land. It is very easy to flare and stall any canopy, worse when you modify it. A stall is violent, and a stall on landing normally hurts like hell.

+1

-- and whether you take a wrap or not, practice the flare a couple of times before you land because most likely a 150sf 7-cell is very different than your main.

I've had one or two rides on my 150, and it was fine, without the sharp stall point that some reserves have (this was at a 1.1 wl, BTW).

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

sweet! i have heard some of them have a built in turn... ..."

I have packed a few hundred Tempo reserves and got a dozen or so "saves."

Only one customer complained about his Tempo turning. ...
Oh! A minute earlier he was complaining about his big, docile student canopy turning!
Oh! After landing we noticed that his adjustable main lift webs differed in length by 6 inches!