hjortur

Any dropzone in Europe using Cessna 402 airplane?

Hi

Does anyone know about dropzone in Europe using Cessna 402 airplane for skydiving operation.

If you do please send me some info about that dropzone.

Best regards,
Hjortur.

---------------------------------------------------------
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway !

Anyone???

Piston powered twin-engined aircraft are rare in skydiving due to the increased maintenance of having two piston engines. The 402s are turbocharged and the turbos add maintenance, and if the pilot mis-manages the turbo system, it can shorten the life of the engine and add to the operating costs.

Most piston twins have retractable gear, and of course, that adds to the maintenance.

Overall, if you find one that been properly maintained, it's going to be too nice and too expensive to jump from. If you find one for cheap, it's most likely been neglected, and going to be too expensive to jump from.

This is the reason you see so many DZs running multiple Cessna singles, there aren't too many options for 'bigger' planes besides the turbines, and those are all literally 10x the cost of another Cessna. There are a bunch of cabin class twins that would haul 8 or 10 jumpers, and can be bought for 'cheap' (compared to a turbine) but they're all maintenance hogs.

Hi

My problem is that I need a bigger airplane to handle 2-4 weeks of high season. We usually run on Cessna 206 but just need a little bit bigger plane for this period. Since I'm located in Iceland (a long ferry flight from USA or Europe) it will become a very expensive to fly in a Porter or simular for this period. That's why I can pay a little bit more per hour in lease on airplane already in Iceland.

There is one 402 Cessna which I can lease up here but we are strugling with flight regulations regarding flying with skydivers. That's why I'm looking for some dropzone in Europe with this airplane in operation.
I know about some in the States, one in South Africa and have heard of one in New Zeland but non in Europe.

If someone knows about some Porter for lease in north of Norway or dosn't charge a arm and a leg to fly up here to the Rock in the North I would also be very greatful ;o)

Best regards,
Hjortur.

---------------------------------------------------------
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway !

I don't know of any 402s operating as jumpships in Europe but, if you can get a copy of the Flight Manual Supplement from one of the 402s already being used for skydiving, especially in the States, you could copy it and apply to EASA for clearance on a Form 32. The EASA bureaucracy is a lumbering behemoth which doesn't know how to move fast so start now if you want to operate in the summer (2012!!). Check for Cessna 402 STCs online.