twodarhythm

Best Audible Altimeter?

So I've pretty much got all of my own gear now except for an audible and a suit. I was wondering what you guys think is the best audible altimeter? Ive got a bonehead minwarp helmet with the extra space for it. And I use an alti 2 on my wrist. I appreciate your feedback! ...Oh and I definitely want it to log my jumps and track my speed!

I'd say keep an eye out for a used ProTrack. You'll spend less overall and still get a great product with all the legendary L&B service. I bought mine used 5+ years ago and have been very happy with its performance. I was also very happy with the L&B ProDytter I bought used ... till I let it drop out of my helmet while walking back to the hangar. [:/] Of course, the Dytter is just an audible, not a freefall logger, so it wouldn't meet what you're looking for.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The NeoXs is a great lil' audible, damn near indestructible. And LOUD!
L&B Optima is my fave; I use the HypEye connector to get a light alert as well as the audible alert.
The L&B Solo is terrific if cash is an issue.

If I could only buy one...I'd buy the L&B Optima.

what about a Skytronic GFX? A friend recommended that and it looks pretty good. Anybody use one?

I have one - It has never let me down .. I use it for my canopy approach heights and ProTrack in my helmet.

Best? Not sure ..... Then both work - both beep at the heights requested.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

John does have a point...visual altimeters are great learning tools, audibles are not.
The OP might wish to consider waiting for a while, using a blend of eyes and traditional alti to learn what altitudes look like before moving to an audible.

I have an alti 2 that i wear and i love, but jumping more and more with others, I think that it will be pretty useful having an alti. Everyone is always pushing more jumps, which i totally get... but i dont see how it could hurt to have an audible backup as well as my alti 2. Arent 2 heads better than one?

I’ve previously used ProTrack, Neptune (for a period both together) and now use two L&B Optimas. For normal flying, I’d suggest having one audible - for head-down FreeFlying having two.

I’d go with a L&B OptimaII. My two L&B Optimas are so accurate; when they go off it is like stereo, when I previously used a mix of ProTrack and Neptune they were a little off (also the L&B guys are great if there is ever a problem).

I love gadgets, but agree with the “visual cue” comments above. If your “beeper” ever surprises you during a jump, you’ve lost your altitude awareness and are doing something wrong. If they go off just as you’re already breaking off or pulling, then they’re backing-up which is what they’re meant for.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

John does have a point...visual altimeters are great learning tools, audibles are not.
The OP might wish to consider waiting for a while, using a blend of eyes and traditional alti to learn what altitudes look like before moving to an audible.

I agree... shortly after I got my audible I completely quit looking at my alti, until I'm under canopy, or a quick glance at wave off. I usually wait for my audible but I'm always using the eye to ground visual alti on every jump.

I might get a second alti just cause I like to rely on devices to save my life. ;):DB|
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----