guineapiggie101

overawed by all the cuteness

As a newbie AFF student, I have noticed that most women who skydive are young, cute, and very limber.

As a potential skydiver who is almost 38 years old, extremely short, a bit on the chunky side, and not very outgoing (very shy), once I get my license, do I have a chance of doing ok in this sport? I see many "type A" personalities around.

So far, since my issue with my first AFF jump, I have been doing quite well. Have done some tunnel time and am on AFF 3. Will be doing AFF 3 sometime this week (if weather holds out since rain is in the forecast). My instructors, as well as people at the DZ have been very supportive and helpful to me, which is great, since not many people understand why I want to do this. My husband still thinks what I am doing is a bit off the wall.

"most" people have a chance in the sport. If you give it your all and listen to instruction and continue to listen for as long as you jump, you should be fine.

Personality type doesn't really apply. Being shy should not keep you from succeeding in the sport as long as when you have a question you ask it.

Good Luck and Have Fun with it

I'm 60 and just started skydiving 3 years ago. I have managed to be on two state record jumps and made friends in the skydiving community all over the country. You don't have to be young and cute to have fun skydiving! :)

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I guess I was referring more to the "social" aspect of the sport. Not being "good on the eyes" might not help me be social.

I'll use an example. For many years, I was in involved in the SCA (its a medieval reenactment society). I found it easy there to socialize and meet people and make friends there because it was more of a "low-key" hippie vibe. I was involved in doing fencing reenactments, which was cool and a great way to meet people.

I do ask questions when its necessary and my instructors have been great in the aspect, with helping me go over stuff that I need to work on.

I guess I was referring more to the "social" aspect of the sport. Not being "good on the eyes" might not help me be social.

I call BS. I am ugly as hell and male and the only time I had a problem getting a date from a DZ was when I was 20 and spent all my money and time on jumping. Most women seemed to be older and the 20 year old girls were all swooped up by the 25-30 year old instructors with thousands of jumps.

Hell, a buddy of mine told me that I was screwed looking to date a girl from a DZ till I had a real job, some money, and a few thousand jumps. He told me to wait till I was 30, had a career, money, ratings, and a few thousand jumps.... Then *I* could steal all the young 20 year olds.... He was right;)

I found it easy there to socialize and meet people and make friends there because it was more of a "low-key" hippie vibe.

For every person, there is a place. If you are laid back, then maybe a 4way team will not be your thing. Maybe you will do wingsuiting, bigways, or freefly.

Once you get off student status, things change. If I walked onto an SCA reenactment with no clue what was going on, without anyone to guide me, wearing my normal clothes.... I'd feel equally as lost as you are on a DZ.

Relax.... I think you might be over thinking... Well, everything. Normal, but it will drive you nuts.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes, I tend to be the overthinker[:/]

Actually I don't feel "lost" at the DZ I jump at. The people there have been very welcoming to me and I have had great instruction there.

Ron, I'm not looking for dates, just to socialize along with learning how to skydive.

I'm more of the introvert, and I wanted to get into skydiving as a way to "get out of my shell a bit" and prove to people, that although I am small, I can do things that are out of the ordinary.

If you have what it takes to gear up, get on the plane and jump you will be accepted in the communtiy.

Short of doing stuff that puts others in danger, refusing to listen when people tell you that you are putting others in danger or generally acting like an idiot, you will be welcomed both in the actual jumping and in the social aspects.

Not being a "young, cute and very limber" woman will cut down a little on how much you will have to fend off the "SkyRomeos". But as long as you are willing to put up with the shenannagins (Fuckery), you will be welcomed.

What you are doing is a bit off the wall. Not too many of the wuffos understand what we do or why. That's one of the reasons that we don't care who you are or what you do or how you look or any of that.

You jump. You are one of us. Peroid.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

the one girl would eventually complain "any weekend or as soon as the weather is nice you're at the dz". well, i took her with me once, and she made a total ass out of herself, so it was bye-bye pretty soon..

it's what we call "AIDS" - Altitude Induced Divorce Syndrom

other than that, i try to be inclusive, as long as they dont mind hanging around on the ground all day/afternoon..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Skydiving has room for all kinds. When I think of the women at my dropzone they range from genuine OMG hotties to grandmothers and EVERYTHING in between. All are welcome parts of the DZ family.

Put your effort into learning to skydive... that will open many, many social doors.

I suspect that the "beer rules" may be your friend. I do not mean that in the sense of of getting drunk in order to be able to have a social life. I mean that the purpose of the beer rules is to provide a structure for you to make connections at the DZ.

When you owe beer... look at as an opportunity! Buy your beer, chill it, and after the beer light comes on... walk your beer around and offer it to people. They will ask you "What is it for?"... you tell them and suddenly you find yourself making a new friend! :D

If you are lucky, your DZ honors the traditions of the Star Crest Recipient ceremony... That is a way to make "friends" too... (Shut up, Maggot!)
http://www.starcrestawards.com/awards/awards_ceremony.html

Regarding my non-skydiving wife:
1. If it makes me happy, she is happy.
2. Skydiving got me out of the house... a good thing.
3. My wife has unwarranted confidence in the ability of an AAD to keep me alive. I have no intention to inform her otherwise.
4. I didn't start jumping until our son was out of high school.

Yes, this is an unusual avocation... that is part of its charm.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Don't worry about looks. if you learn to jump, and have a good time, you'll fit right in. One of the things I really loved about skydiving was the community. It is very accepting, no matter who you are. People from all walks of life, getting together, with a common goal. Have fun, enjoy, and don't let it ruin your marriage.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Actually I do feel accepted at the DZ I am learning at.

Cool! I'd stick with that place then! Most DZ's are like that, but some have a reputation to be cliquish (whether warranted or not).

I am just a bit overawed by most of the cute jumpers there. It seems most jumpers (esp the women) are young and cute.

My wife and I are in our early/mid 40s. We hang out with people in their 60's and their 20's at the dz. Age becomes less of an issue when you jump and like the people who also do: we're having a dinner at our place on Saturday, and jumpers in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's will be there. (PS: if you deezee.com regulars didnt get an invite, it's because, really, we don't like you! :P;)).

What seems to be the main compatibility point for us, is whether people have kids or not: we don't, and tend to gravitate towards other irresponsible people:ph34r:.

As for my personal life, I just don't talk about skydiving anymore to my husband. Best way to deal with it.

That's the point that may be a problem. If all you ever do is a jump here, a jump there, once in a while, it will probably never be an issue. But if you start skydiving (or any other hobby that makes you spend a very significant part of your free time and budget) a lot more frequently, I can bet a beer or two that you're husband will start resenting it.
Remster

a dropzone is the easiest place i have found to meet people. they are always coming and going and you need to be able to interact with strangers.

if you put in a little effort to get out of your shell and meet people, i am sure they will be more than happy to make your acquaintance.

be who you want to be, all the rest falls into place.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Yes, I tend to be the overthinker

Then think about the things you can control and not the things you cannot control.

You can control your knowledge of gear and the next jump level.... You can't control how people think about you.

Ron, I'm not looking for dates, just to socialize along with learning how to skydive.

Then why the focus on other "hot" chicks? Is a hot person going to get more attention? Yep. Does that mean you will not find people that will respect you? Nope.

I'm more of the introvert, and I wanted to get into skydiving as a way to "get out of my shell a bit"

Dropzones are not that much different than life. If you are an introvert.... You are not going to graduate AFF and suddenly become an extrovert.

Skydiving can help by proving to yourself that you can do anything.... And in this case survive a dangerous situation by using skill and being calm.

and prove to people, that although I am small, I can do things that are out of the ordinary.

1. You have already done more than 99% of the population of the planet.

2. You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. Accept that, and the rest is easy.

For those of you who are married, have relationships, etc., did you find it hard to keep at skydiving, esp if your SO, family, friends, thought what you did was crazy and stupid and didn't want to hear about it?

You drive them crazy talking about it. You start spending more time away from them and they get mad at you for it, they accuse you of loving skydiving more than them.

Unless you have a good relationship with good communication and THEY have something they care about and do without you.... It can be a big challenge.

Actually I do feel accepted at the DZ I am learning at

Then why the post? Again, don't over think it.

As for my personal life, I just don't talk about skydiving anymore to my husband. Best way to deal with it.

Not really. "AIDS" - Altitude Induced Divorce Syndrome starts when the one partner feels communication breaking down... they then demand more TIME together instead of asking for better communication together.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm more of the introvert, and I wanted to get into skydiving as a way to "get out of my shell a bit" and prove to people, that although I am small, I can do things that are out of the ordinary.

Although my fellow jumpers at the DZ would not think I'm an introvert, I definitely am. Hanging out at the DZ every weekend I could and opening up has changed my life (for the way better :) . Hang out at the dropzone whenever you can, buy the beer, and see where this awesome sport takes you in life!

in retrospect, putting up this thread was dumb of me and makes me look bad.

Not dumb, and it does not make you look bad.

It does make you look like you are excited and it does make you look like you are consumed with it..... We were all there once, some still are.

Is there any way I can have the thread removed

you can PM: billvon, cpoxon, Meso, slotperfect. They can be found on the bottom of the "General" page.

BillV is usually on more than the others.

but this thread makes me look like a overanxious worrywart.

Like everyone has been saying.... Just be yourself ;)

in retrospect, putting up this thread was dumb of me and makes me look bad.

Is there any way I can have the thread removed. I do appreciate everybodys' posts and advice, but this thread makes me look like a overanxious worrywart.

No, Ron is right. It makes you look new, excited about the sport and anxious to be accepted into an entirely new group of people. You'd be a little odd not to be a little worried about it.
Trust me, there are probably a whole bunch of people who are wondering the exact same thing, but don't have the guts to post it. :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My instructors, as well as people at the DZ have been very supportive and helpful to me, which is great, since not many people understand why I want to do this. My husband still thinks what I am doing is a bit off the wall.

Well that pretty much explains it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX