matthewcline

Staff Drug Testing as a Condition of Employment.

You do realize that in some states you could be fired for any reason whatsoever?

"Hey! I don't like the color of your shirt. You're fired."

I dont think it is the employers place to do the work of the police or the court system

Are you making reference to drug testing?
I'm not sure that an employer is allowed to release the results of your test to the cops...are they?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So I am assumoing that the military should be exempt from drug testing too?

Look if some dudes are sitting in a fox hole in the weather with not so nice people lobbing exploding shells and other things that kill you and you have to risk some sniper blowing to your brains out because you tried to run from your tent or fox hole to take a shit (so you hold all day till nite) and so there you are left to deal with all the killing you did to others and others trying to kill you..... I say if they want burn one or take a couple tokes of a improvised bong device, who the fuck am I to say shit about it!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I think if you make it that simple, then everyone will agree that employers should be able to discriminate. A pedophile who kills puppies in his free time has no bearing on his job performance, but I feel I should be able to terminate his employment because he is engaged in criminal activity.

but how do you now he is involved in criminal activity? its not you place to investigate weather he is or not and its n ot your determination to make. if an employee is charged with and found guilty of paedophilia of course you have the right to fire him, same goes for any crime. you dont have the right to take the law into your own hands however

Point is I made the choice to take this job AND abide by the policies laid out in my contract. If I didn't like those policies I am free to choose a different place of employment with less strict policies.

cool so i guess an employer can refuse to hire women on the off chance they get pregnant or they can put in their contract that they can fire them if/when they do get pregnant. i guess its ok for an employer to put in the contract that if they find out your gay they can fire you.

we already limit the rights of the employer in favour of the rights of the employee in many areas. i believe that there should be no discrimination against anything done in your personal life that does not affect your work life

your tattoo is not a valid example as your tattoo could very well affect your work if a customer / client was to see it and reconsider doing business with your company.

My question is: What gives you the faintest idea that a business owner cannot do whatever he wants with his business.

a business owner ALREADY CAN'T do whatever he wants with his business

Are you trying to convey that is is OK to force an employer to follow the rules that you want, (not able to drugtest the employees that he pays his money to) but you cannot be bothered to follow the ones that he wants?

thats exactly what im proposing because I believe it is wrong for a business owner to discriminate and take the law into their own hands in that way.

Seems a bit hypocritical and flawed in logic, does it not?

not in the slightest. business's are already controlled and regulated this is just one more way i think they should be. there are other ways i think they shouldn't be and if they ever come up for debate ill let you know what they are as well

i wasn't aware that some states had no employee protecting at all. that is obviously a disgrace

Are you making reference to drug testing?
I'm not sure that an employer is allowed to release the results of your test to the cops...are they?

they shouldnt be allowed fire you for them either :P

Ok - so instead - he just shuts that department down and recreates it in another form.
Then you aren't fired.:)
The business owner has control of everything that OSHA, and the IRS doesn't.(beyond illegal activities)

If he says to you, you will be drug tested before you are hired, and randomly thereafter, it is his choice to make. It is his company and his rules. If you don't like it you cannot possibly think that you are so much better than him to force him to comply with your wishes. That is a very arrogant stance. You want freedom of choice - choose another employer.

Just because someone wants to break the law in the privacy of their own homes, doesn't give them the right to make others comply with hiding the evidence.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ok - so instead - he just shuts that department down and recreates it in another form.
Then you aren't fired.:)
The business owner has control of everything that OSHA, and the IRS doesn't.(beyond illegal activities)

If he says to you, you will be drug tested before you are hired, and randomly thereafter, it is his choice to make. It is his company and his rules. If you don't like it you cannot possibly think that you are so much better than him to force him to comply with your wishes. That is a very arrogant stance. You want freedom of choice - choose another employer.

Just because someone wants to break the law in the privacy of their own homes, doesn't give them the right to make others comply with hiding the evidence.

hiding what evidence?

also i accept that that is how it is and obviously if it mattered enough to me i would not work somewhere that drug tested, it dosn't but that does not change the principle which is the employer should not have the right to drug test the employee