Tink1717

Thinking of cutting away.

I know this won't be the first post like this one, nor the last, but I tink it might be time to go.

I've been in the sport since 87, have a riggers ticket, tandem/coach rating, PVT pilot and 2064 jumps. The trouble is I'm just not motivted to deal with another spring in the northeast. The weather here is shit, even when it's good, it's shit and I'm just sick of dealing with it. I took a second job that I like and am doing well at and although it's less money interms of $/hr, it is steady and not dependant on the weather, so I'm thinking of cutting away to be just a fun jumper and dealing with the whuffo work world.

I'm just completely apathetic about the whole thing. Safety day is only six weeks away and right now, I simply don't care (maybe that's more telling than I care to admit.).

Thoughts?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Good luck. See you, when and if you come back.

Sometimes a break is just what you need to get jazzed later again. Sometimes after years off. Sometimes sooner.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The thread title is awesome. B|

I never worked in the sport. I don't get to jump as much as I want, but I never HAVE to jump when I don't want.B|

Rock n roll Brah, We started skydiving because it's fun. Keep putting the F. U. back in "FUN" for best results.:ph34r:

The trouble is I'm just not motivted to deal with another spring in the northeast. The weather here is shit, even when it's good, it's shit and I'm just sick of dealing with it.

1. Move to where it is not shit.
2. Stick with the "real" job and do fun jumps or work part time.

I have been a part time instructor for over 15 years and 5000 jumps.

I have had great DZ's to work at where I can call up on a Thu and either say I can't work that weekend or ask if the DZ needs me that weekend.

Between Tandem, AFF, My team and my coaching gigs I spend 3 out of 4 weekends at the DZ on average. Some months every weekend and a few week days, other months I do not even make one jump.... I still have averaged ~300 jumps a year for over 15 years.

BUT I have the option to do stuff around the house or do something else..... IMO, it is the only way to live.

Good luck picking your path.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Keep the lawn service (that's why god invented teenagers), talk to me about the boogie. ;)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

1. Move to where it is not shit.

Not an option. 30yr mortgage and wife's job is here (although I get the vibe that she wants to cut me away, not that that's a bad thing).

2. Stick with the "real" job and do fun jumps or work part time.

I've told them that if they put me in a full time slot, I'd drop the DZ. No response so far.

Don't want to do part time again. Did it, don't want to do it again. Not worth it. Maybe get the AFF rating. Who knows?

I know this won't be the first post like this one, nor the last, but I tink it might be time to go.

I've been in the sport since 87, have a riggers ticket, tandem/coach rating, PVT pilot and 2064 jumps. The trouble is I'm just not motivted to deal with another spring in the northeast. The weather here is shit, even when it's good, it's shit and I'm just sick of dealing with it. I took a second job that I like and am doing well at and although it's less money interms of $/hr, it is steady and not dependant on the weather, so I'm thinking of cutting away to be just a fun jumper and dealing with the whuffo work world.

I'm just completely apathetic about the whole thing. Safety day is only six weeks away and right now, I simply don't care (maybe that's more telling than I care to admit.).

Thoughts?

I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago with diving, 3000+ dives mostly all technical, instructor trainer on just about every rebreather out there at trimix level and a shed load of expedition dives in excess of 100m. I started to loathe the time I was spending underwater, the money was fabulous and I enjoyed the teaching, it was just that diving sucked! So before I started to show these traits to my students I jacked it in. I don't miss it as I skydive now.

I guess what I am saying is take heed of your feelings towards safety day, continue your new day job and fun jump, you can always go back if it doesn't work out.

Cheers,

Coops.

The trouble is I'm just not motivted to deal with another spring in the northeast. The weather here is shit, even when it's good, it's shit and I'm just sick of dealing with it.

I too live in the Northeast and I think it's just the weather talking! Six weeks till safety day seems like an eternity right now and I could also care less. because of the huge amount of snow it will probably be here until May and then we will have the muddy season and just maybe we will get 2 months of ideal jumping weather in between the rainy days then starting in October we will again have to deal with the high winds!
The weather indeed does suck and would really like to move but my wife won't budge either! Plus I am stuck with a mortgage and couldn't even sell my house right now as it's not worth what I paid for it due to the economy and foreclosures! I am seriously thinking of short saleing and cuting away from the northeast there is nothing here for anyone it is very depressing. And yes I have S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) And if you think I am whining G.F.Y. , lol

A contractor friend of mine looks at it like this.

Winter = Too damn cold can't do nothing!
Spring = Too damn wet / muddy can't do nothing!
Summer = Too damn hot can't do nothing!
Fall = Couple of good days and don't want to do nothing!

Do it. If the dzo doesn't believe you don't want to be full time, let the ratings expire.

Even if you let the instructional ratings expire, it won't be difficult to get back into teaching if/when you decide you want to.

What sort of fun jumping do you want to do? Now is the perfect time to learn something new; that just might make you less apathetic about going to the dz...

Do it. If the dzo doesn't believe you don't want to be full time, let the ratings expire.

Doesn't have anythig to do with DZO/DZM I have very good realtions with both. I just don't want to be at the bottom of the pecking order - again.

What sort of fun jumping do you want to do?

My foavorite stuff is the kind of to do is the kind of stuff the gets done at boogies: tube dives, raft/toys, Magic Carpets, hoop dives, big ways, etc...

I want to transition to vide/photo but I need a couple of weeks to get the exits and fall rates just right. If that happens, I'll cut the ratings away.

Now if only the weather wouldn't suck....,

Life is to short to do something you no longer enjoy. good for you for having the guts to make the move.

i think you will enjoy being a fun jumper. I taught scuba for years and got bored with it. i truly enjoy going with friends for a dive now. i found it to be two completely different things. i think you'll understand what i'm saying when you show up to the DZ and have no responsibilities except to enjoy yourself.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

A few thoughts:

[:/]This is the time of year when EVERYBODY in the NE talks about change.

B|Doing something enjoyable and exciting for a living is only a dream for most of us. I haven't done it in 30 years. I don't hate my dayjob, but often wondered how I could make a real living doing something I feel passionate about. That said, you've been living the dream.

:DWelcome to the Real World. I'm betting you're gonna appreciate skydiving a heluva lot more as a fun jumper.

I believe you have my stapler.

Don't want to do part time again. Did it, don't want to do it again. Not worth it.

Sorry, I meant part time at skydiving.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My opinion might be different than others. We are all in search of happiness. I too, used to wonder, if I could only jump all the time, then I'd be happy. I know now that wouldn't be the case, for me. My life would be out of balance.

For me, my family comes first. There's no way I could just cut them away.

This might be the time to get some marriage counseling. Years ago, I too, felt like my family needed me just for my pay check. I know now, that I was looking at things the wrong way. They needed me for a whole lot more than that. Being there for them, brings me happiness.

And they still allow me, to do things for myself. If I want to skydive they let me. If I want to go up into the mountains with my horses and mules, that's okay too.

Possibly there are some things you can rearrange in your life to make it better. Maybe a move to a warmer climate would be good. Possibly a different job. If the opportunity comes up, take it.

I think the bottom line is that none of us have a perfect life. A lot of this is learning to be happy despite difficulties and setbacks.

Spirituality can make a big difference. For me that is not religion. For others it might be. I've heard spirituality explained, many different ways. Some call it a higher power, than yourself. For others it might be feeling connected to all other living things. Whatever it is, there really is something to it, than can bring happiness and peace to you.

Let's face it, we live in a rat race here in America. Some of us have never been taught Spirituality. No wonder it is such an illusive thing. Making a jump brings many of us closer to that. Being in the moment is important. It is addictive too. But don't throw away what is important just for an adrenaline fix!

You might want to read some books on that. Right now I'm reading a book called "Touching Peace". It's written by Vietnamese monk. I figure some of this stuff might seem wierd to others, but if it works, what the hell....It's worth reading. Well, that's my two cents worth....

Interestig approach. Spirtuality is just another word for religion and I have no use at all for religon, no matter what its name.

My wife gives a as long a leash as I want. Which is to say no leash at all. Which is part of the problem. Indifference is worse than rejection because with rejection at least you made an impression. My wife's total indifference to my activities, both on and off the DZ, is a major scource of the unrest I feel.

I still love to jump and I get the same rush I got the first time I went, it's just the pro aspect of it is getting to be a drag on me and the constant battle with the weather is just a total pain in the nuts.

Interestig approach. Spirtuality is just another word for religion and I have no use at all for religon, no matter what its name.
reply]

I disagree with that...I'm not a believer either in any sort of supreme being, creator, spirits, or otherwise, but I do believe there is something out there greater than myself.

I went to a training once. A medical doctor was putting it on. He went to work on an Indian Reservation at a hospital there. It wasn't long until he was totally burned out.

He'd go on vacations, but within a few days back, he'd be burned out again. He felt like leaving and never coming back.

Then someone told him there was a native healer in town. He figured this was a joke. This healer came to the hospital to work with some of the staff. This Doctor felt obligated to take it all in.

So, into his office comes this old man in braids. He brought along his nephew, who had a hand drum. This old man talked mostly about himself, and asked few questions. Whenever he'd get to an important part, the nephew would start beating on his hand drum.

The doctor thought all this was a joke. He said to himself, this is what I need to do in my practice. I can have someone beat on a drum when I am working with a patient. Maybe like when I tell someone they need to stop smoking I'll have someone start druming.

At any rate the old man told the Dr. that what he was missing, that was his spirit. The old man said some magic words, beat on the drum some more, and then he said...."Now your spirit is back".

They left, and the Doctor thought, "Man, that sure was a joke".

But, the next day, the Doctor felt better. He had renewed energy and a better outlook. He made the Doctor realize maybe there is something to this spirituality bull crap. This is a true story too....

He started reading a practicing spirituality and it changed his whole life. Maybe there is a lesson in all that. I'm still trying to learn more about spirituality. I was raised a catholic, but it didn't stick.

Spirituality in my mind is not religion at all....For some, religion might be a way of reaching spirituality....or not. Spirituality to me, is peace of mind, not a belief in spirits or other mumbo jumbo....

Two more cents worth!

My wife gives a as long a leash as I want. Which is to say no leash at all. Which is part of the problem. Indifference is worse than rejection because with rejection at least you made an impression. My wife's total indifference to my activities, both on and off the DZ, is a major scource of the unrest I feel.

I still love to jump and I get the same rush I got the first time I went, it's just the pro aspect of it is getting to be a drag on me and the constant battle with the weather is just a total pain in the nuts.

We have a little bit in common. I am a retired Firefighter and I have given up jumping. And as you know Firefighters tend to have problems with relationships. Don’t why. After 30 years and around 3,000 jumps I woke up one day and said that enough. I guess there were a variety of reasons but they added up to “time to quit”. This is a decision you and you alone can make. One thing to keep in mind, the sky will always be there if want it.
On the other matter I am probably the last person to give advice relationships but what the hell.
If you decide to back of jumping now would be a good time to focus on putting the marriage back on a solid footing. You mentioned indifference, that can be a two way street and you may not even realize it. Try picking her up at work and take her to a nice lunch. Have dinner ready when she gets home. See if you can find some type of recreational activity that you can enjoy together. Skiing, bike riding, hitting the flea markets or under BB stacking. Just make sure it is something she wants to do.
Good luck with what ever path you take.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Northeast jumper here for past 20 years and all I can say is I hear ya. Even when april rolls aroung it usually is windy as hell, which sucks because your broke and you tend to jump in less than perfect conditions just so you can make a dam mortgage payment. okay sorry back to you.

You know just a thought, maybe if DZO's gave tandem and AFFI's a raise once in a dam century it would help. Anyone notice the jump tickets keep getting more expensive but the dam pay has stayed the same since the day I started.

Great now i'm in your shoes now. I am outta here. lol

I'm on the other side, outside looking in.

The best things in my life comed from skydiving, not only the jumps but the entire vibe. The worst thing in my life comed from the wuffo life.

What I hope to find is a chance to progress from what I am now (which is not much) to camera man and rigger while living (and making a living) on the dz. I just want to keep the best thing that happen in my life in my life.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

What I hope to find is a chance to progress from what I am now (which is not much) to camera man and rigger while living (and making a living) on the dz. I just want to keep the best thing that happen in my life in my life.

Ask around, it is a struggle and get really old in a short time. You will not have the time to live the fun part.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals