guineapiggie101

frustrated at myself

Will try again on Monday and hopefully keep my anxiety down.

I am a complete, total noob. I have ONE skydive. But, in the way of relaxation and letting things just flow, I am a bit more experienced. When doing patrols in Iraqistan, if I am tense, my section picks up on it and we don't execute as smoothly. If I am relaxed, then they are relaxed and, when the crap hits the fan, we execute as smooth as butter and react more quickly and efficiently.

In both cases (skydiving and patrolling Badtown), people may die, but in both cases, calm and relaxed in the brunt of a crapstorm makes things more livable. :)

Hope that helps. If not, just ignore me. :)
Sincerely,
Kevin

Will try again on Monday and hopefully keep my anxiety down.

I am a complete, total noob. I have ONE skydive. But, in the way of relaxation and letting things just flow, I am a bit more experienced. When doing patrols in Iraqistan, if I am tense, my section picks up on it and we don't execute as smoothly. If I am relaxed, then they are relaxed and, when the crap hits the fan, we execute as smooth as butter and react more quickly and efficiently.

In both cases (skydiving and patrolling Badtown), people may die, but in both cases, calm and relaxed in the brunt of a crapstorm makes things more livable. :)

Hope that helps. If not, just ignore me. :)

1) Where is Iraqistan?
2) If your entire section operates entirely off your demeanor, then ya'll should seek more efficient training--unless you're just that badass

Having done both, patrols downrange and skydiving are apples and oranges. From your post, I assume you have done one more skydive than you have patrols. Keep it in context-thanks!

1) Where is Iraqistan?
2) If your entire section operates entirely off your demeanor, then ya'll should seek more efficient training--unless you're just that badass

Having done both, patrols downrange and skydiving are apples and oranges. From your post, I assume you have done one more skydive than you have patrols. Keep it in context-thanks!

Really? I love internet anonymity. Stress is stress, whether in sector or in the sky.

And I am just that much of a badass, thank you.

EDIT: And if you have never heard of the term "Iraqistan," go ask a Private. He'll be able to fill you in.
Sincerely,
Kevin

I think SkyBytch has the right idea. Go into this next jump as a "Fun Jump". Let DSE know, right off the bat, that fail or pass today, you would like a nice, relaxing, fun jump. When you exit, put a big smile on your face, good or bad, while doing your practice touches or responding to his hand signals. Being stable is sometimes like Golfing in the beginning. The harder you try, the sloppier you get. The more you relax and forget about the right way to do every little thing, the more natural it becomes. When you get to your 100 th jump......and you will, you'll look back and think, why did I care so much about failure.
Life is short ... jump often.

EDIT: And if you have never heard of the term "Iraqistan," go ask a Private. He'll be able to fill you in.

I'm privileged to have many friends who have served in the 'stans. I like that term "Iraqistan." Pretty much sums it up. :)
Thanks for your service. I'll be glad to jump with you if you make it up Seattle way. B|

I am sure you have been told to just relax.... as a new jumper...... you have to respond, "are you freaking kidding me" I just threw my sorry ass out of an airplane" and you want me to relax.....You would think that is not possible, look around for other sykdivers, the plane you just left, the LZ... these things will take your mind off the WTF mode into the think mode.

I am sure that someone will flame me for this even if it makes sense

i've heard of nowadays world-class skydivers that had to do 20 jumps+ to get past their AFF.. you're probably still heading the right way! ;)

i'm no way near world class and repeated two levels, much of the others with lots of tolerance from my instructors.. :D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yesterday I went and did my AFF 3 jump for the 3rd time. Due to me having issues with heading and compensating (turns), I have to do AFF 3 again, as well as do some more tunnel time.

My instructors were great and DSE took a lot of time to help me nail the dive flow and my positioning (arch and leg positions). As a result, this was one of the best jumps I had. Leg positions and arch was great. Still had a little problem with stabilizing, but wasn't able to pass because I didn't make corrections when I was starting to get unstable and turn (so instructors had to grab on again).

I did get video done of my dive, and we all went through it thoroughly. It was discovered that some of the issues I struggle with, really has to do with my unique size and stature. So we are going to have to come up with ways to deal with that, which is great.

I have to go and do some more tunnel time, which is ok.

Overall, I am very thankful to DSE and the people at Elsinore, because they are helping me to achieve something I never thought I would be able to do. I am glad I chose Elsinore as the DZ to do my AFF at.

Yesterday I went and did my AFF 3 jump for the 3rd time. Due to me having issues with heading and compensating (turns), I have to do AFF 3 again, as well as do some more tunnel time.

My instructors were great and DSE took a lot of time to help me nail the dive flow and my positioning (arch and leg positions). As a result, this was one of the best jumps I had. Leg positions and arch was great. Still had a little problem with stabilizing, but wasn't able to pass because I didn't make corrections when I was starting to get unstable and turn (so instructors had to grab on again).

I did get video done of my dive, and we all went through it thoroughly. It was discovered that some of the issues I struggle with, really has to do with my unique size and stature. So we are going to have to come up with ways to deal with that, which is great.

I have to go and do some more tunnel time, which is ok.

Overall, I am very thankful to DSE and the people at Elsinore, because they are helping me to achieve something I never thought I would be able to do. I am glad I chose Elsinore as the DZ to do my AFF at.

I felt way uncoordinated during those early jumps like you are experiencing, being a big dude I also fell faster than my instructors which didnt help. I did initial tunnel time which kind of helped... however then my AFF instructor was in tunnel with me rather than normal tunnel person. We went through all skills where I was funky. After the 10 minute session he said that I did almost every manuver required for AFF successfully in the WT. That was a huge confidence builder and I had relatively few problems afterward.