Bruceny

Worst skydiving injury?

I'm curious as to how you broke yourself playing hackey.:P Though I give my son grief for dislocating his shoulder playing badmitten. But it was his second or third dislocation. I just like to give him shit about it.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I'm curious as to how you broke yourself playing hackey.:P Though I give my son grief for dislocating his shoulder playing badmitten. But it was his second or third dislocation. I just like to give him shit about it.

Well, that was the femur incident..... just kidding (the femure was the classic low turn idiot move) :P

The truth about the hackey sack is probably a whole lot more boring than whatever you are thinking right now, so I let you stick with that - post it up, it might be amusing for everyone! :)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

All due to not properly gripping a toggle on a cold day.

Which is just another reason I pack my main toggles folded, they 'pop' right open when the canopy opens, and I can easily put my hand thru them.

I pack all of the reserve toggles this way as well. I figure if you're low and jacked up on adrenaline your fine motor control is the first to go, don't need to be trying to fish your gloved fingers inbetween a couple widths of toggle that have been folded up for 179 days.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Three dislocated shoulders.
One broken hand

And a several traumatized ego from a low turn.

Dude - in 200 jumps?!?!?!

Yep. But I started early. First dislocation was AFF L2. I still passed! Once you've had it once they can keep happening.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

All due to not properly gripping a toggle on a cold day.

Which is just another reason I pack my main toggles folded, they 'pop' right open when the canopy opens, and I can easily put my hand thru them.

I pack all of the reserve toggles this way as well. I figure if you're low and jacked up on adrenaline your fine motor control is the first to go, don't need to be trying to fish your gloved fingers inbetween a couple widths of toggle that have been folded up for 179 days.

Toggle had been in my hand for 3k. It was on flare that I lost it, due to frozen fingers and the stupid way I held my toggles at the time (wanted to look like the "cool kids"). Had zip to do with packing method, toggle type (but I also pack so they fold open and are square)

Broken nose from landing on it while trying to flare a smallish reserve with closed endcells (hooked myself into the ground, plf would've been smart).

Couple of bruised ribs from a hard opening while filming FS4 with a full camera helmet during my first nationals. Out for 6 weeks.

Twisted ankle followed by a bruised tailbone during my last nationals: since my ankle hurt and there was no wind, I tried landing on my butt a few times. Do NOT do that if you like to sit painfree for the next 2 years. B|B|B|
Still ended up 3rd in AAA though :)

Dislocated/extended shoulder from landing on it: I did sort of a half plf because I was jumping a full camera helmet, and I ended up hitting the ground with my right forearm. Hurt my wrist a bit (didn't notice my shoulder), hospital said nothing broken, pulled out of the competition, didn't jump for a week. Next friday I was filming AAA and did one tandemvideo meaning I had to clim into the plane without the step as I was last getting on, bad idea that. I ended up with a paralysed right (pull) arm in freefall as I was pulling out my pc. B| Let go of the pc above my back, luckily canopy opened ok :o
Finished the tandemvideo ok-ish but couldn't jump for a few months after that [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thank you, Sir!

That is exactly the man & site I had in mind!

http://www.deadmike.com/

A sobering tale....

Yep, the worst I have ever seen who survived. I was there. I saw it happen. It was a sickening sight, seeing Mike with blood all over making short hitching gasps. I truly thought he was a goner. It was so graphic I still remember the sight as clear as day, and it happened at the 1997 WFFC.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Compression fracture of L5, due to a canopy collision.
2 titanium bars, 4 screws and 3 months off.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

To all the newbies in this thread, I'd suggest watching the jumping style of the people who have been jumping a long time and haven't ever injured themselves particularly badly. They're probably good examples.

And I mean watch and talk to -- not just see what they post on dz.com.

If you're going to push the envelope, it's much better to know where your boundaries, and those of physics, are before you start, rather than crashing into them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

To all the newbies in this thread, I'd suggest watching the jumping style of the people who have been jumping a long time and haven't ever injured themselves particularly badly. They're probably good examples.

And I mean watch and talk to -- not just see what they post on dz.com.

If you're going to push the envelope, it's much better to know where your boundaries, and those of physics, are before you start, rather than crashing into them.

Wendy P.

B| well said!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sprained my shoulder running for the door in a Lodestar - I was 8th out, so had a pretty good head of steam and didn't quite make the turn. I did get my SCR on that jump though B|.
I also bruised my tailbone when I backed into a scrub oak under a Para Commander.

Did you come back to jumping after it?

Compressed/fractured vertebra Th6 in the free fall collision (got hit to my back while I was dearching). Still recovering from it after 8 mts and count

also broken rib and whiplashed neck after an exploding opening - out for 3 mts

j.
Back to Poland... back home.

Did you come back to jumping after it?

Compressed/fractured vertebra Th6 in the free fall (got hit to my back while I was dearching). Still recovering from it after 8 mts

also broken rib and whiplashed neck after exploding opening - out for 3 mts

j.

Yes I am jumping again. I injured it on December 12, 1999 and made my return to jumping February 25, 2000. I was foolishly back in the air way to soon but got away with it. Looking back I wouldn’t jump again so soon. Good luck with your recovery.

I've had a few:

'94 plane crash with 5 jumpers on board. The Cessna 206 engine cut out at 300ft on jump assent and during the attempted landing the plane stalled at 50ft over a grass strip just next to the run way. The plane flipped on it's nose after shearing off the nose gear and ended up on it's back. No deaths but lots of broken bones. Me: Broken right leg, back and crushed C6/C7 vertabrae. I was back jumping after 8 weeks.

'98 crushed right heal during a demo jump. This was more painful than the air crash injuries (lots of nerve endings in the heal). I was back jumping after 12 weeks.

is that the guy that got hit by a coached student!?

nice, inspirational video nonetheless..

some things make you stop for a moment and ask you questions; i think this is one of them! :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda