KevinP

I can't get it out of my head

I'm not trying to be a postwhore, but I can't get this stuff out of my head, even though I'm just now recovering from the spin-induced headache that started after the dizziness went away yesterday (see the screw the pooch thread).

I am standing in my bathroom doorway, simulating the right- and left-side checks, count, exit (WITH ARCH) and dive flow. Wow.

This stuff gets into your SOUL, huh?
Sincerely,
Kevin

Head, heart, soul, body.

When you put on a backpack and check your handles...

When you look up and can make a reasonably accurate guess of the cloud heights...

When your "falling dream" includes a rig on your back and your jump buddies...
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Head, heart, soul, body.

When you look up and can make a reasonably accurate guess of the cloud heights...

And always look for landingareas and how to land there in the current wind. If there will be any turublence, and if there is any rocks or obstacales in the landing area.

Head, heart, soul, body.

And always look for landing areas and how to land there in the current wind. If there will be any turbulence, and if there is any rocks or obstacles in the landing area.

...checking wind direction and velocity every time you see a flag blowing in the breeze.

When walking in town I'm always checking possible landing sites for a demo...and the 'outs'.

Every time I put on a backpack when I'm traveling I aways reach back and check the 'hackey'...or as I'm waiting to get off a commercial flight, walking down the isle I do an exaggerated shrug of my shoulders to see if my legstraps are on and tight...:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My coworkers think I stretch a lot throughout the day because we're always standing, but really I'm trying to improve my arching muscles :P

That's cool! The US Army is changing the physical fitness program and the new one includes an exercise called the prone row. You start on your belly, arms and legs extended kinda like Superman, with your feet off the ground. On count one, you bring your elbows down to each side as you would doing a pull-up while at the same time arching your back trying to lift as much of your torso off the ground as possible. I thought that was a stupid exercise until I did that tunnel time. Now I find myself putting extra effort into it.:D

EDIT: Crap, I didn't finish. Count 2, you extend back out, count three, same as count 1, count 4 is the same as count 2. It's a four-count exercise.

If you plug "Prone Row" into google, you can find a video demo of it.

Sorry. :)
Sincerely,
Kevin

It's pretty much all I think about. My friends must be getting annoyed:P

But Damn, everything else seems so mundane by comparison.

HUGE +1. I was talking to my wife tonight on the phone and had a visual of me, with instructor firmly docked, spinning belly up, with my hands flat and on either side of my face (see the video in the screw the pooch thread, if you haven't already and you'll see what I mean). I mentally made the comparison to some crazed mime. This made me burst into laughter. Without missing a beat, my wife said, "You're still laughing about that jump, aren't you?" Through tears of laughter, I admitted that I was. She said, "You definitely have a screw loose. Normal people don't go through that and then still be laughing about it three days later." She's right! I'm not normal and I definitely have a screw loose.

BUT IT WAS SO COOL!!!!!
Sincerely,
Kevin

Or when you accidentally say something like "I've jumped one of those" when you mean you've driven one, rode in one, sat on one, wore one, eaten one, took one, gave one, saw one... and you're not talking about a canopy.

Or when you can no longer use the phrase "go in" even if it's just to enter a room.

Or when all your whuffo friends talk about how great and beautiful the weekend weather was but you thought it sucked because even though the sky was clear and the temps were warm the wind was too strong. Good enough for kites but you gave that up a long time ago and you know that if you see nice little kids and their daddies flying kites you know you're fucked.

Or when those same friends don't even bother asking you to join them on weekends until at least November.

Yeah, it gets in your blood if you let it.

Let it.

...checking wind direction and velocity every time you see a flag blowing in the breeze.

When walking in town I'm always checking possible landing sites for a demo...and the 'outs'.

After 5 years out of it I still catch myself doing exactly that. :P Demos the part I miss the most.[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You've been had...hook, line and sinker.
You're a keeper, no catch and release.
:D:D

Have you gone to buy something and stood there considering how many jumps it costs?
...you may be a skydiver.

Have you noticed your friends looking at the clouds and you're looking at the big, blue holes?

Have you gone out the door and noticed that the first thing you do is look up at the sky?

Have you noticed your wuffo friends shying away from you while trying to have a normal conversation?

Do you know your beer store owner on a first-name basis?

Have you missed work claiming altitude sickness?

Have you pulled into the DZ driveway and suddenly realized that you should have been pulling into your office driveway?

Are you envious of John Mitchell?

Welcome to the club, skydiver.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Have you gone to buy something and stood there considering how many jumps it costs?

Guilty. I was invited to go to Tombstone, AZ to do some stuff. My reply? "I can't, dude. The cash I have on hand is for my level 1 and level 2 jumps."

Have you gone out the door and noticed that the first thing you do is look up at the sky?

Guilty.

Have you noticed your wuffo friends shying away from you while trying to have a normal conversation?

Guilty. See Tombstone comment above. That's when it started.

Welcome to the club, skydiver.

Sincerely,
Kevin

***When you put on a backpack and check your handles...

When your "falling dream" includes a rig on your back and your jump buddies...***

And it gets worse, in fact, its incurable :)
I haven't been jumping for 20+ years, and I can still guess the cloud heights and altitude pretty much accurately, and I catch myself doing it EVERY TIME I fly!

And I feel strange urge to get up and move towards the door when a commercial airplane reach jumping altitude :S

Love never fails