potatoman

Claustrophobia

Hi,

I suffer slightly/minor Claustrophobia. I battle to sit in a small cessna, all cramped up, specially on taxi, while it is very hot, and cannot move an inch. This weekend, new aircraft, same story. Gets better when at altitude, the coldness seems to make it better, but there have been times where I felt I am going to throw the oak next to the door, and jump out, just to get some freedom/air.

Anybody got the same problem?

How do you manage this? I try and focus on my jump, and breathing.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Hi,

I suffer slightly/minor Claustrophobia. I battle to sit in a small cessna, all cramped up, specially on taxi, while it is very hot, and cannot move an inch. This weekend, new aircraft, same story. Gets better when at altitude, the coldness seems to make it better, but there have been times where I felt I am going to throw the oak next to the door, and jump out, just to get some freedom/air.

Anybody got the same problem?

How do you manage this? I try and focus on my jump, and breathing.

I'm a big corn-fed guy and I can relate...all twisted up, can't move and legs going numb.

Just keep breathing deep and try to put your mind some place else...I always visualize the room and freedom of movement once out the door...if you dwell on the discomfort it only gets worse! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Do anything different than sit there focusing on the claustrophobia.
I'm 6'6" and 235-250 with tons of 182 jumps and the same problem - except not only do I get claustrophobia, I give it.

Read a paperback.
Do Suduko.
Play with a Rubiks Cube - perfect time to work on the "way to solve the rubik's cube" by Google.
Listen to music.

Etc.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I know a VERY experienced and skilled RW jumper who so dislikes the plane ride that he reads a paperback on the climb to altitude. I don't know if he is claustrophobic or just not fond of airplanes. Either way, the distraction works for him.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I battle to sit in a small cessna, all cramped up, specially on taxi, while it is very hot, and cannot move an inch.

Relax and find a distraction, as others have said... just remember that its NOT ok to wiggle your toes when you have them jammed into the crotch of the hottie sitting across from you. ...unless you notice that she's grinding on your toes as a means of distraction while on the way to altitude. :P
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I have problems with claustrophobia too. I do okay in a Cessna, but have experienced it in other places. No fun at all.

Coldness does seem to help. Maybe get the pilot to help you with that.

Try to visualize someplace else, and take some deep breaths. That might help....Try to calm yourself.

Most people don't realize how awful that feeling is.

In the early 70's, I was in the army. I didn't realize I had trouble with claustrophobia. As part of our training we had to crawl underground through some very tight caves. There were 50 men behind you, and 50 in front of you.

We crawled through those caves like worms. It was hard to breath and hot. I almost freaked out several times, and I had to really calm myself. One soldier died a few months prior to this in those same caves. He freaked out. This was in Infantry training, at Tigerland, Ft. Polk, La.....What an awful experience....

Oh my gosh, I'm with ya on this! I jump out of Otters most of the time, but even those get packed. There was one jump last weekend that I was on when I didn't even care about skydiving once the door went up, I just wanted some relief from being so squished!

To cope, I go back to my lamaze training from years ago and just start focusing on a particular object, deep breathing and relaxing.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I give it!!!!

I think everybody gives it. If we were all tiny people, they would have just loaded more on the plane, same crampy style.

Thanx for the advise. I will take my rubex with, or at least, the sunday paper. Sure that will freak the students.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

...and take some deep breaths

but then I can't hide alcohol odor, very bad.
Especially sitting down back in Porter, I had to call some ninja skillz to beat that non-breathing claustrophobia..
and no window there too, very bad.
What goes around, comes later.

Yes, Cessnas can be claustrophobic, but there are ways to retrain your brain to enjoy the plane ride.

For starters, once the engine is running, it is too loud to talk, so I can relax after the rush of dirt-diving and gearing up and making sure i boarded the correct airplane.

As the airplane taxis out, I usually take one more look at the windsock and start mentally planning my landing pattern. I often point out the windsock to my student or other jumpers on board.

During the ride to altitude, I look at local land marks to familiarise myself with a new dropzone.
I also scan the sky for other airplanes. A couple of times, I have alerted pilots to potential collisions.

Part way up, I close my eyes and mentally review my tasks for this skydive.
I try to get my goggles and gloves on 2,000 or 3,000 feet before exit altitude and do one last gear check.
The last minute before exit, my eyes are outside the airplane, checking landmarks around the DZ, so that by the time the door opens, I have a pretty good idea of where we are relative to the airport.

IOW I am too busy to get bored or claustrophibic during the plane ride.