hokierower

What do you do at the DZ when fate tosses you a crappy weather day?

I've just started jumping, and by just started I mean I haven't even jumped yet, just finished the FJC course. I took the course last Saturday but high winds prevented me from jumping. I showed up yesterday to the DZ around 7:45 and sat for 6.5 hours but ended up with a no go because of cloud cover throughout the day and winds in the afternoon. Didn't go today because of cloud cover in the AM and 20+ mph winds in the PM. I live an hour away by road and probably 50mi as the crow flies but the weather is so different for being such a short distance.

Yesterday when I was sitting at the DZ all day I didn't quite know what to do. I brought my laptop with me so I watched a few movies, I talked to some of the locals and instructors but I kinda felt out of place/awkward since I was there alone, not on the board for a tandem, but not really a student either because I haven't even done my Lvl 1 jump.

I introduced myself, talked to my FJC instructor, read through the SIM, etc. but still felt antsy and bored. What do you guys do until the ball gets rolling?

EDIT: My FJC instructor told me about when he was starting out and that he can't remember how many days he wasted at the DZ b/c of weather issues but said that you just keep showing up in the hope that the cards play out your way eventually

Just keep showing up and hope for good weather. If you're sitting around waiting, go introduce yourself to people. Make friends with people at the dz and you'll be a lot happier.

Best of luck with the weather and welcome to the skydiving community.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

EDIT: My FJC instructor told me about when he was starting out and that he can't remember how many days he wasted at the DZ b/c of weather issues but said that you just keep showing up in the hope that the cards play out your way eventually

+1 It took me about 2.5 months to get my a-license. Learn to pack, go over your EP's, review the cloud cover limits, wind limits, pull altitudes. There's lots to do for students on weather days.

You gotta just wait it out, or go to a different DZ that's clear. Even spaceland (in south houston area) was weathered in today...

We're at the mercy of the weather, like it or not! I just moved somewhere that has better weather. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I live an hour away by road and probably 50mi as the crow flies but the weather is so different for being such a short distance.

If the DZ is on a public airport, there should be an automated weather report available by phone that will tell you the 'official' wind speed/direction and ceiling. It's a computerized deal, so you don't have to talk to anyone, and it's free to use. If the DZ is on a private airport, find out the nearest pucblic airport, and get the number for their weather report (if there are several public airports nearby, find out which one the DZ uses when they need to know the exact situation).

Either way, that will give you a better idea of whats happening at the DZ. That has nothing to to do with how busy they are, if they have instructors available, or a million other things, but it's something.

Whatever you do on weather days at the DZ, be careful. If you get enough jumpers sitting around with no jumping, sooner or later the real dangerous stuff will start happening. Nothing good can follow the phrase, 'Go fill this bucket up with Jet A....'

Whatever you do on weather days at the DZ, be careful. If you get enough jumpers sitting around with no jumping, sooner or later the real dangerous stuff will start happening. Nothing good can follow the phrase, 'Go fill this bucket up with Jet A....'

I need 200' of rope, a truck, and let me go grab this round parachute.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

If the DZ is on a public airport, there should be an automated weather report available by phone that will tell you the 'official' wind speed/direction and ceiling. It's a computerized deal, so you don't have to talk to anyone, and it's free to use. If the DZ is on a private airport, find out the nearest pucblic airport, and get the number for their weather report (if there are several public airports nearby, find out which one the DZ uses when they need to know the exact situation).

Either way, that will give you a better idea of whats happening at the DZ. That has nothing to to do with how busy they are, if they have instructors available, or a million other things, but it's something.

The airfield is a private strip, however they pull the weather from 3 sources around them and there's a public airport (San Marcos Municipal) only a couple miles away who's METAR shows up on weather underground.

Start learning how to pack.

Ask someone to help you with your PLFs.

Creeper racing.

Judge for when the stupid skydiver tricks start.

Beer run.

Packing was something that I had considered. I'll ask next time I'm sitting there doing nothing.

PLFs...yea, should probably make mine a little better.

Creeper racing?

Judging stupid stuff...do I have to judge or can I participate?

I'll probably just wait for the first great weekend and try and knock 4-6 jumps out.

Help judge the blindfolded creeper races.

If experienced jumpers are jumping ... Watch landings.

Enjoy the videos of the most recent freefall mess which are likely playing on someone's laptop.

BE PATIENT. Often the wind will settle down very late in the day and you may get to jump just before sunset.

Be nice.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Help judge the drunk blindfolded PACKING races.

Winner must jump it the next day or forfeit.

FIFY

Its been done. Except it wasn't their rigs. Don't leave your rigs out unpacked past the beer light people!

And they were jumped. :)

Bring a laptop and surf the internet.

Watch TV or videos.

Play video games (my DZ has a Wii connected to a projector).

Read magazines.

Take a nap.

Play solitaire.

Pick the brains of any experienced jumpers who happen to be hanging around. Ask them anything you want to learn more about.

If the weather is nice, other than being windy, play frisbee, throw a football, etc.

Fire up the BBQ and start cooking.

Oh, and of course all the practical things that have already been mentioned, like learning to pack or perform regular gear maintenance.

Play Just Dance on the wii and make a fool of yourself. Duh.

The bidding for the video of this (cheach shaking her ass) will start at $100

- play guitar
- watch a movie
- play a game
- work @ laptop
- read a book
- fly a RC airplane
- talk too damn much :)

But in your case, aside from the need to bring a book or laptop, see if you can make the most of your stay at the DZ. Bad weather days can be ideal for learning how to pack, for bugging instructors about things you want to know more about, bugging the local rigger for same. Also in some cases you can make yourself useful around the DZ, by driving the van, help refueling the plane, stuff like that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia