KevinP

How to TOTALLY screw the pooch on Level 1:

Thanks Bro.

My wife just got my USPA membership packet in the mail and was talking about the sticker. She said it was too bad that they didn't have one of a jumper breakdancing on the way down. ROLF

Damn, dude! Is there any way you could bottle up some of that attitude? I'd love to spike the Kool-Aid everywhere with it.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just to clarify - and this is directed to the OP who might not know this - Lutz isn't notorious for poor performance on his first jump - students fuck up all the time - he's notorious because he acted like a dick afterward and tried to blame everyone/everything else but himself.

Students who are humble get eager helping hands to guide them along.

While I agree with you that Lutz's most eggregious behavior was his attitude about who's fault it was and his eagerness to put the video on every TV show that would show it, his actions of pulling the cutaway handle instead of the main handle, and his choice of landing area are still well below par.

And to the OP - I've never heard of "Frosted Stupid" for breakfast.
I've had my share of "Stupid-O's", but never Frosted Stupid.

Does the commercial have some kind of big cat saying something like

"They're Rrrrrrrretarded!"?
B|

LOL....

>>>heads for a cloth to clean the screen of dripping coffee spewed forth at such great humor for this time of day...

LOL...
Half-Way to 'A' and lovin' them blue skies...
and women with pretty blue eyes...
& ... "EH?"

That video is making its rounds.

You did fine. Your exit wasn't perfect but what happened next was completely induced by the main side instructor. It was not you. He was out of position right off the step. Woops, but shit happens. He could have still saved it but did a very classic mistake.

Once the reserve side let go, the main side instructor still had a chance. He needed to right himself by turning over onto his own belly. Instead, he tried to flip you over (feet over head) and that was the cause of the spin. Take a look, he flung you several times.

He had one or 2 more chances to right himself. If he had turned over, he could countered the spin pretty quickly and turned you over. You were already arched enough for an easy harness flip. (Reach over you, grab the opposite main lift web and roll you. Poof, back in action, ... heading altimeter, arch reach, touch... and so on.

Well, Once he screwed himself and started spinning, there was nothing he could do to fix it. As hard as it is to release a student, he should have gave up a LOT sooner and let go.

The moment he let you go, you flipped right over. You were in no better position then, than you were earlier in the dive. It was simply easier to arch since you weren't tracking circles around your instructor.

The instructors were schooled on that jump. It should be shown to new instructors as a training aid.

Don't be too harsh on the instructor. I bet they just learned something the hard way.

There's more to it, but I don't have time right now for a step by step.

Good luck on your next jump!

I'd still work with either one of them but we'd go over a few things before the next AFF Jump :)

With that and Chuck's observations, should the student ask for a refund or a discount on the repeat dive?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That or let go.

wow.....just wow......i've been a full time AFF/I for some time now......when did it become acceptable for the only remaining instructor on a Cat A dive to just 'let go'. i don't recall Don mentioning that in my cert course.

It's not part of the course. It's also not part of the course to hang on and do nothing.
My point was that it would have been better to let go than to continue to make the situation worse by hanging on just for the sake of hanging on, let alone keep hanging on and actually creating/enhancing the spin. If this guy had not finally let go, a reserve deployment by cypres would have been "totally cool video".
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.